MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Long time no see!

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Long time no see!

Postby Some Guy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:47 am

Hey!

How's everyone doing?

Some Guy
Forum Addict

Re: Long time no see!

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Damn, Lady Gaga has really let herself go!
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 pm

So is some guy Blues then? I saw this pick on facebook and nearly added you Blues. Not sure you remember me though or want to see pictures of my dogs every day.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 pm

If you are who I think you are, then I remember you. Didn't you play at one of my birthday parties back when I still had birthdays?
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Yep That's me. I'm still out rocking although I've gone to the dark side, left all my artistic integrity behind and play covers for money.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Yep That's me. I'm still out rocking although I've gone to the dark side, left all my artistic integrity behind and play covers for money.

Oh please! Its bad enough when people bash other people for playing covers for money, do ya really gotta bash yourself? It doesn't have to be "dark side", and you don't have to sacrafice "artistic integrity". Guitar strings, drumsticks, harmonicas, amp tubes - all that shit costs money. There's nothing wrong with playing for money and there's nothing wrong with playing covers. Be grateful that you have the skill to play covers. Besides, playing your instrument - even if you didn't write the songs - makes you a better musician, working a dayjob doesn't.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:57 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Yep That's me. I'm still out rocking although I've gone to the dark side, left all my artistic integrity behind and play covers for money.

Now don't sell yourself short. You front the greatest Huey Lewis cover band in South Central Dane County.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Now don't sell yourself short. You front the greatest Huey Lewis cover band in South Central Dane County.

So you've been out to see us then?

I know there are lots of differing opinions on cover bands out there. Mine has shifted over the years. I'll agree with Some Guy that there should be no shame but I can't say it isn't less satisfying ins some way. I certainly feel less pride in doing it. But it's still the same amount of fun.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I was a full-time professional musician for over 20 years. Sometimes I played tunes with the guy who wrote them, sometimes I didn't. I never really cared either way - maybe because I'm not a songwriter. What I did care about was playing good music with good musicians. The money was nice too. Certain things did get to me after a while though. Having to play the Chicken Dance was one of them. I got so sick of Mustang Sally and Sweet Home Chicago that when I got recruited for The Blues less Travelled I had it put into my performance contract that i would never be asked to play either of those tunes.

Recently some former members of Flat Atom talked me into coming part way out of retirement and they clinched the deal by promissing me that we'd play some Dewey Cox tunes.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Sooner or later I'm gonna make one of your parties face to mask so to speak. We gotta do a little jammin.'
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Did you sell your wrists?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:36 am

narcoleptish wrote:Did you sell your wrists?

:lol:
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com