MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

TDP community manifesto

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDP community manifesto

Postby Walter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:55 pm

I agree about the spammers and pro trolls. I prefer being surrounded by and being an amateur troll.

Music is what brought me in as a lurker and flat out misunderstanding got me unlurked. I like to post every once in a while but I'm a responder for the most part.

I'm friends with several current and not currently prolific forons both in real life and on facebook, which I resisted with vigor for sometime. I guess it's nice to know you can put something up on fb for a friend or group of friends and not have to worry about some troll taking you out of context or just not getting it and spewing on you. Plus there's the stalking of hot chicks...add that to TDPF and you've got something!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 pm

I think TDP Forum has its ups and downs depending on the personalities that come and go, the issues discussed, etc. I particularly like it when people with some actual knowledge or expertise are involved. They can get a good fact-based discussion going. That is why I appreciated Brenda, even though I didn't always agree with her. She had strong opinions, but she also argued from facts. The commuter rail discussion also had a good amount of fact-based argument on both sides.

I'm not really interested in participating in bullshit shoutfests. I have my opinions, and I'm not shy about putting them up on the forum, but pointing out that Walker is an idiot, though I agree with that viewpoint, does not really allow for much discussion.

I don't post much. I prefer to respond. Since that has come up with a number of us, I wonder if that is not a big part of the problem.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:Wanna make it about you, or do you have something productive to add?

Seriously sick of the prima donna acts, including yours, Blues.

Fuck you Jason.

Here I go, trying to be polite, trying to verify that you actually want to hear what I've got to say before wasting either of our time, and this is what I get?

On the other hand, that was a great illustration of the problem (or at least part of it). I'm not the prima donna here Jason, you are. I'm serious. Take a good look at yourself. Take a fair and unflinching look at what YOU have done to shape this place into what it is. You don't even have to share it or discuss it - just examine it honestly.

Its not about me (unless you decide to make it about me); its about you. You're a tool and a pussy - that's why the Forum has degenerated into this. The problem is - and always has been - you.

I was going to address some of your other questions / points, but obviously you aren't interested.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:29 pm

jjoyce wrote:The potential is there for it being a true community gathering place, and I'm not just talking about Forum.

The Forum used to be.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Now THERE'S food for thought.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Yeah, the Forum really used to be great. Like the time Mr. Blues had his lawyer call me because he got kicked off for making physical threats.

Or the other times I was contacted by lawyers or cops because of physical threats made by Mr. Blues.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 pm

I wonder if someone woke up on the wrong side of the snowdrift today.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm

You weren't around when Mr. Blues was on a tear. And it wasn't a holy one. Jason speaks the truth.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:27 pm

I never claimed otherwise. I suspect it was quite unacceptable. I won't defend threats of physical violence, but a little introspection couldn't hurt. In my short time here, I've seen some rather "biased" actions (or inaction) for an admin.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

jjoyce wrote:Are you wondering why we've let Harris Lemberg back on the site?

I have been wondering about that myself
PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:09 pm

If there's one thing I've learned in over a decade of reading and posting on Internet boards, it's that quality and free expression do not go hand in hand. The best examples I've seen are where moderators hold posters to a code of conduct and aren't afraid to wield the ban hammer. Otherwise, the board either dies or turns into a local 4chan. If it was me I'd ban Flanders, ban Harris, and make clear to Blaska that not shitting up threads on TDPF is a condition of being paid to blog.

Jason, would I be correct in assuming that you're looking for more of the level of discussion on display in the comments following today's Target Sucks commentary?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Happy birthday, Jason!

The forum is listless lately. I'm feeling the enjui. Many times I won't look at a topic based on whomever made the latest post, because it's going to go downhill fast, derail, and hit a wall -- it's just so disappointing if the topic was of interest to me. Too many Forons create make-believe online personalities as a lame running joke. Others seem to exist to purposefully/gleefully egg everyone on and they get far too many takers before they get taken down. Then there's the old timers and know-it-alls who log on solely to be dismissive, territorial, smug, and superior. What a drag. They chase away interesting and promising new Forons, and set a tone that leaves fertile ground for shitheads.

On the other hand, some steadfast Forons are the reason I keep believing and checking in. Hey! I may learn something! I may find something new to think about! I may find that special Foron who can listen as well as talk, who knows how to dialogue instead of making proclamations and hurling insults. Somebody who helps out, or somebody I may be of help to. Best yet, Forons with a sense of humor – yes, even today, in spite of it all. [Fist pump!]

You ask what I want to talk about. What pulls me in are the arts, architecture, books, neighborhood news (doesn't matter which neighborhood, I'm nosy), and anything at all to do with food and drink. I like it local. I'm ameniable to blogs setting the tone for discussions but – gee, I hate to say this – I don't find that venue all that promising based on whom the Isthmus has hired in the past. We don't need know-it-alls, we need writers with a light touch who inspire discussion. If you have blogs I don't want sensationalist bullshit, but instead a more humanistic approach. You know, the old entertain-inform format. We can take it from there.

I fear that if you allow people to create/sustain blogs, your takers may be those whose opinions we don't have to ask for because we already know them all too well – it's what comes from God's mouth to their fingertips via their flawless linking ability, right? Ick. Please don't give those dogs a bone.

I don't “refuse to engage” with the in-depth arts criticism. I don't even know where that is! And why are we critical? I like arts!

Anyway, thank you for asking. Happy Groundhog Day, everybody.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:Yeah, the Forum really used to be great. Like the time Mr. Blues had his lawyer call me because he got kicked off for making physical threats.

Or the other times I was contacted by lawyers or cops because of physical threats made by Mr. Blues.

You're lying. I never made physical threats.

Why are you making this about me?
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Case in point. Please get rid of this stupid fucker, if you already know who he is, and quit wasting our time. Less Blues are appreciated.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm

The only time I post here is after I drink a few. Maybe that is the problem...too much drinking and posting. Perhaps there is a USB Breathalyzer that could be used to determine if someone is too drunk to post here.
oranger
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com