MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

I've been laying low on Blaska, but now it seems like everywhere I turn around here, this windbag is there. I find his writing style and attempts at debate and/or discourse quite stodgy. Overall, I've grown tired of one-note political stooges on either side. Is this really the best local conservative writer Isthmus could afford? Paid in sandwiches ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Here is the WI State Journal at 5:45 p.m. Feb. 10, 2011:

Walker will propose stripping collective bargaining rights from state workers
"This is a shocking development," AFT-Wisconsin President Bryan Kennedy said. "It ends collective bargaining for public employees in our state, after 50 years of management and workers solving problems together."

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_7ff37af2-3562-11e0-8ff9-001cc4c002e0.html
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 pm

We should also undo child labor laws so we can compete with China. Those little hands can make some killer shoes.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby arizmendi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 pm

David,

Thank you for the admission of stepping over the line, as it were. My problem wasn't with your original post, but the suggestion that you didn't make these claims. To me, it was the equivalent of yelling fire in the proverbial theater. If there is a fire, thank you. If there isn't, well, even the Supremes don't abide.

As far as who on the "right"--Bagehot, Lexington and the other members of The Economist. I'm not a huge fan of Bloomberg Businessweek (I like Businessweek, though). Of course, I read The Week as well which may be Rupert Murdoch's most liberal paper but still brings in most of the voices of the US Spectrum.
arizmendi

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 pm

The truth about Walker and the public employees unions issue is that Blaska had it first and has stayed on it for two days now. The dailies are late to the party. If our conservative blogger gets a story before a news reporter or liberal blogger, then he sorta gets to report it the way he wants, no? That's why we pay him.

How is it Isthmus' fault if our conservative blogger is leading the discussion on this important issue? Are you being shut out? Are you being silenced from providing important and first-hand information of your own? If anything, you have more opportunities to participate on this site, and have people actually read and respond, than any other decent-sized media site in the state. If you've been reading the comments on his posts this week, you'd know that a lot of people are chiming in and there's a nice discussion going, contributions from a few usual suspects notwithstanding.

Obviously, our news writers feel there are other issues more deserving of their attention than this one. If you feel differently, then your beef is with them, not Blaska.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:01 am

arizmendi wrote:I can't see how Isthmus can continue to see itself as a credible journalistic enterprise by continuing to pay Blaska for content.

Does anyone at Isthmus actually see it as a credible journalistic enterprise? Obviously everyone has to toe the line in order to keep their job, but does anyone actually believe it?

If anything, working for Isthmus undermines Blaska's credibility.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 am

fisticuffs wrote:I for one am sick of this idea that stuff like "Liberals hate free speech" is considered a "side". There are legitimate conservative positions and I'd welcome them on this forum and in the Isthmus proper but Blaska doesn't present them. He's basically a hired Ned trolling for hits.

I for one am sick of shit like this:

fisticuffs wrote:Don't fret whatever positions the Tea Party people and the GOP are in direct opposition over can easily be washed away with their unified hatred of gays, Mexicans, blacks, liberals, Muslims, communists, hippies, trains, abortion, Europeans, and unions. Well that and truck loads of special interest money.

By the way, have you and the kettle been properly introduced?
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:06 am

fisticuffs wrote:Do you mean in the forum or in society at large? Huck and Arturo do a good job of arguing their positions without questioning anyone patriotism. That's a start. basically I can do without the "Liberals think this, Liberals want that, Liberals hate this" nonsense. It's always complete bullshit, it's trash and doesn't add anything to any discussion.

I know I just said this, but it needs to be repeated:

fisticuffs wrote:Don't fret whatever positions the Tea Party people and the GOP are in direct opposition over can easily be washed away with their unified hatred of gays, Mexicans, blacks, liberals, Muslims, communists, hippies, trains, abortion, Europeans, and unions. Well that and truck loads of special interest money.

Have you and the kettle been properly introduced?
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:08 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Life sets in. Reality tempers youthful idealism. What can I say?

Res ipsa loquitur.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 am

jjoyce wrote:How is it Isthmus' fault if our conservative blogger is leading the discussion on this important issue?

Actually, it is to Isthmus' credit. Journalists call it a "scoop" - or at least they used to.

jjoyce wrote:Are you being shut out? Are you being silenced from providing important and first-hand information of your own? If anything, you have more opportunities to participate on this site, and have people actually read and respond, than any other decent-sized media site in the state.

I'm being shut out, etc to a certain extent; every comment that I have made to Blaska's blog has been removed. Sure, I can still post on the forum until you decide to ban me again, but not everyone who reads the comments reads the forum.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby magic moose » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:41 am

jjoyce wrote:The dailies are late to the party.

Agreed. The last two days have shown he's an annoyingly relevant self-promoting, substanceless blowhard. Which he'll take as a compliment no doubt.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 am

jjoyce wrote: If our conservative blogger gets a story before a news reporter or liberal blogger, then he sorta gets to report it the way he wants, no? That's why we pay him.

Interesting, then, that he reported it this way:
Blaska wrote:Not just state employees unions but municipal, county, and university and K-12 school unions -- all government unions in the State of Wisconsin will be outlawed.

Granted, he corrected it when he was called on it. But the original "scoop" speaks to his lack of honesty. Typical for his blog.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 am

jman111 wrote:
jjoyce wrote: If our conservative blogger gets a story before a news reporter or liberal blogger, then he sorta gets to report it the way he wants, no? That's why we pay him.

Interesting, then, that he reported it this way:
Blaska wrote:Not just state employees unions but municipal, county, and university and K-12 school unions -- all government unions in the State of Wisconsin will be outlawed.

Granted, he corrected it when he was called on it. But the original "scoop" speaks to his lack of honesty. Typical for his blog.

Exactly what I was going to say. He yelled "fire." Everyone asked where he saw the fire, so he redacted and reworded his statement and it turned out to be a candle. Its sensationalism.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:44 am

jman111 wrote:

More likely lack of knowledge and carelessness in the excitement of breaking the big story. I think we know how the Blaska works. Write in the heat of passion, think later (optional, if prompted).
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 am

Has Blaska said anything that the union guys aren't saying?

The latest:

http://www.thedailypage.com/blaska/arti ... icle=32223
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com