MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

TDPF: Leaner, not necessarily meaner

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

TDPF: Leaner, not necessarily meaner

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 16, 2011 3:12 pm

In the interest of making Forum a little more digestable on our mobile site (http://m.isthmus.com/forum/), I compacted it just now. Everything that was there is still there, just rearranged. Some highlights:

- Town Vibe is once again whole, with East, West and Downtown folded back in. Blunt would be happy.

- Gone are individual elections pages which are now folded into either Local or National. It's possible (probable) that some stuff is now miscategorized, but I couldn't see anything recent that's crazy.

- Arts & Entertainment now encompasses Music, Movies and all the other A&E stuff (including TV and Tech/Video Games). I'm not totally sure about this and might have to separate music out again, but my hope was to slim this down a little.

- No longer separate feedback categories for print Isthmus and TDP. We're all one big happy family.

Let me know if you hate it. I know you will.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TDPF: Leaner, not necessarily meaner

Postby Beaver » Tue May 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't see anything to complain about...yet.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Overall I like it. There were too many categories which didn't see activity for weeks, months, even years.
However, I don't think the Tech and Video Game categories should've been combined.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Couldn't "Cooking & Food issues" simply be retitled "Cooking & Food?" The way it is seems to smack of eating disorders or OCD types who don't like their foods touching on the plate.

Then again, the recurring outrage over ubiquitous lardons would seem to fit nicely under the "issues" category, I suppose. Tough call.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Nah, food issues makes sense. The description for that category mentions organic, local, etc. Among other things those are issues people debate.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 20, 2011 3:52 pm

But if we could please please please have an intense argument about these categories, intense like the one about whether Pippa Middleton merits her own Wikipedia entry, that would be awesome.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Nah, food issues makes sense. The description for that category mentions organic, local, etc. Among other things those are issues people debate.

Gotta agree with Uncle L - "issues" makes it sound like there's a problem. All the things you describe it as being would seem like "food" would be sufficient. People will get it.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 20, 2011 4:26 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Nah, food issues makes sense. The description for that category mentions organic, local, etc. Among other things those are issues people debate.

Gotta agree with Uncle L - "issues" makes it sound like there's a problem. All the things you describe it as being would seem like "food" would be sufficient. People will get it.

But if we have a food category, it will overlap with the restaurants category. Issue can mean problem, but it can also mean timely topic.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm not convinced keeping the word "issues" helps further distinguish it from the already-existing Restaurant News & Reviews category listed directly above it. Whatevs. I'm fancy-phoneless, so I don't really have a horse in this race.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Issue can mean problem, but it can also mean timely topic.

Restaurant and Food Topics, then? I think issues sounds like we're going to all talk about anorexia.

I don't have a horse in this race either and I don't even follow the restaurant and food topics, but I like fussing with words.

Anyway I think paring down the list of forum categories was a good idea.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat May 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Sometimes when clicking around on my Galaxy S it goes from the mobile to desktop and vice versa.

Happen to anyone else?

Is the site automatically detecting mobile users and bringing up the mobile site for most people or are you going directly to the mobile site first?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Sometimes when clicking around on my Galaxy S it goes from the mobile to desktop and vice versa.

Happen to anyone else?

Is the site automatically detecting mobile users and bringing up the mobile site for most people or are you going directly to the mobile site first?

I have a galaxy too and I've never had that problem. I have the mobile site set as a bookmarked widget so I don't know if it detects mobile users.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 21, 2011 7:00 pm

supaunknown wrote:I'm not convinced keeping the word "issues" helps further distinguish it from the already-existing Restaurant News & Reviews category listed directly above it. Whatevs. I'm fancy-phoneless, so I don't really have a horse in this race.

And I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I am the senior busybody on this forum. So how about food conversations, or even food talk if you want a shorter script?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Still hoping for a Radio folder.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 24, 2011 8:00 am

Stu: Don't you work for one of the biggest media conglomerates in the world? An actual ad on TDP is not that much money and it would allow your show to be promoted outside of a little-used, little-viewed area of TDPF. Also, it would benefit a local, independent media company. What a coup!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com