MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:05 pm

The people have been duped.

Hey don't be so modest. You helped.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:24 pm

TAsunder wrote:I'm still confused... is the only goal to prevent felons from voting? If so, then this law is even more dubious than I thought.

In a prior discussion, I asked Blaska what type of fraud would be prevented with the new voter ID law; he brought up felon's voing on at least two occasions.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
The people have been duped.

Hey don't be so modest. You helped.

Then I've done my job. Now, where is that Koch brothers check?
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:02 pm

David Blaska wrote:Stepford wife

It is pretty interesting to witness the Assembly chambers during a debate these days. The Republican reps sit there, completely silent, barely acknowledging the Democrats. Then Fitzgerald walks out, gives one of his "I get it!" speeches and then retreats to his office.

The rest just vote.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Cue Rod Serling music.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Has Kathy Nicklaus been fired and/or jailed yet?

Cuz she's the biggest perpetrator of voter fraud I've seen recently.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Bumping the current set of questions for Mr. Blaska to address:

Q1: What studies/statistics show that, for the other six states with strict photo voter ID laws, fraudulent voting at the ballot box decreased as a direct result of the law?

David Blaska wrote:Placing a mark on drivers licenses denoting felon is under consideration.

Q2: What is your source on this?
Q3: Assuming this plan passes, how would the law prevent felons from voting if they presented an ID other than their driver's license?

David Blaska wrote:As to the # of prosecutions: proving an intent and getting a conviction is a difficult and time-consuming proposition. Prevention is much more cost-effective.

Q4: Please cite numbers to show that prosecuting the current low numbers of fraudulent voters (11 charged in 2010) is more expensive to state taxpayers than the estimated $2.3 million/year this law will cost.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Sorry, Beans. I'm not going to do your leg work for you. The bill is passed; you lost.

Now that we have Voter I.D., it's a simple matter to stick an F on it to denote a felon. When the probation is served, the felon applies for a new permit with appropriate clearance from Corrections. BTW: preventing felons from voting is just one of the reasons for voter I.D. Preventing multiple votes is another. Assuring that the person claiming to be so and so is who he says he is is another. (We've already covered phishing voter names.)
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:39 pm

It's sad reading this thread that David Blaska is the one paid for his political opinion and beans is just another poster. I thought the cream rose to the top in a free capitalistic society. All I see is a turd with a mustache floating at the top of the bowl. On the bright side it is nice seeing Davey boy completely torn apart by your average foron once again.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 pm

David Blaska wrote:Preventing multiple votes is another. Assuring that the person claiming to be so and so is who he says he is is another. (We've already covered phishing voter names.)

Has more than a handful of multiple voting cases occurred in Wisconsin over the decades? I doubt if those infrequent attempts could turn a victory during an election. The former system seemed to work just fine. Why would anyone risk a felony for just one additional vote? Fraud seems to be much more of a problem during the tabulation of the vote.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 pm

David Blaska wrote:Sorry, Beans. I'm not going to do your leg work for you. The bill is passed; you lost.

Now that we have Voter I.D., it's a simple matter to stick an F on it to denote a felon. When the probation is served, the felon applies for a new permit with appropriate clearance from Corrections. BTW: preventing felons from voting is just one of the reasons for voter I.D. Preventing multiple votes is another. Assuring that the person claiming to be so and so is who he says he is is another. (We've already covered phishing voter names.)

Yeah, that sounds simple. All we have to do is change the electronic system DOT uses, the templates for IDs, and the workflow for issuing a license so that it can check for clearance. Then we just have to have the state set up a real-time interface between DOT and DOC to exchange this information, and some paperwork, forms, and procedures for applying for the form.

Preventing felons from voting is a non-starter as far as I am concerned. They should have a right to vote unless convicted of specific, narrow crimes that would predict fraudulent voting activity. Even then, I am not sure.

You don't need voter ID to prevent multiple votes. Also, it's not clear to me how this would stop that if people are already forging documents to be able to vote multiple times. Care to elaborate?

The clear cut scenario would be claiming to be someone else. But in that scenario, if the "real" person showed up, wouldn't they be unable to since their name was checked off? I've not heard of this happening, but it is certainly possible. It seems like the more likely scenario is someone showing up in someone else's stead knowing that the other person won't vote.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 pm

David Blaska wrote:Sorry, Beans. I'm not going to do your leg work for you.

Mr. Blaska,

I find it disappointing that you do not understand how this works.

You see, it's your "side" that proposed and quickly passed this ALEC-organized legislation with a one-sided and partisan legislature and governor. It's your "side" that sounded the alarm to massive voter fraud that must be dealt with RIGHT. NOW!

More specifically, it's you personally, a paid blogger for this paper, that have made these claims that I directly challenged you to back up. The burden of proof is upon you, good squire.

This is your leg work.

David Blaska wrote:Now that we have Voter I.D., it's a simple matter to stick an F on it to denote a felon.

Again, how does this work if a felon presents a valid form of picture ID other than a driver's license?

David Blaska wrote:(We've already covered phishing voter names.)

This again? You mentioned one anecdote from a caller to Vicki McKenna's program of an apparent get-out-the-vote team with a bullhorn on your blog. There was no followup. You did not prove that this was a phishing expedition, and you certainly didn't prove that there was an organized effort to steal voter names.

You are continually repeating unproven hearsay as fact.

David Blaska wrote:BTW: preventing felons from voting is just one of the reasons for voter I.D. Preventing multiple votes is another. Assuring that the person claiming to be so and so is who he says he is is another.

Still waiting on proof that similar laws in other states have substantially lowered the already low occurrences of this.

David Blaska wrote:The bill is passed; you lost.

This whole "we won, now shut up" attitude of yours is incredibly childish. Time for you to grow up, emulate the journalist you pretend to be, and do some research before typing.

I await your response to my questions above.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:03 pm

TAsunder wrote:Preventing felons from voting is a non-starter as far as I am concerned. They should have a right to vote unless convicted of specific, narrow crimes that would predict fraudulent voting activity. Even then, I am not sure.

Unless someone has a previous conviction for voter fraud I'm not sure how we justify denying someone the right to vote. I mean, I understand that incarceration comes with it a suspension of many of your civil rights, but why, specifically, the right to vote? A generalized notion of "they're bad people" seems hardly enough to strip them of their right to take part in the most sacred of democratic traditions.

The Fifteenth Amendment to the Constitution prohibits States from denying citizens the right to vote based upon "race, color or previous condition of servitude." This led to literary tests and other clever tactics to disenfranchise African Americans for almost 100 years until The Voting Rights Act of 1965. Perhaps the felony conviction rule was sort of a fallback position for those interested in subverting the Voting Rights Act. It is perhaps no accident that African Americans are far more likely to be charged with felonies for non-violent crimes such as drug possession.

I know for a fact that many felons believe that their right to vote is permanently revoked, having done a considerable amount of door-to-door voter registration, but I'm not sure if there's intentional disinformation circulating or if it's just a common misconception. Regardless, I find it hard to believe that convicted felons showing up in droves to vote could possibly affect election results. If it could, perhaps that says more about our criminal justice system than our voting system.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:04 pm

TAsunder wrote:Yeah, that sounds simple. All we have to do is change the electronic system DOT uses, the templates for IDs, and the workflow for issuing a license so that it can check for clearance. Then we just have to have the state set up a real-time interface between DOT and DOC to exchange this information

I'll stop you right there, because that last part will never ever happen. DOC don't play outside access to its servers. So you're looking at the delay that is native to human-to-human data transmission. Which isn't very cool when you're talking about reinstating voting rights.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Wisconsin's computers talk to each other all the time. How do you think the Revenue department knows to go after income when DOT records purchase of a new Lexus and DNR reports a snowmobile? All your wild discussion of voter suppression is overblown. Cases of voter fraud are documented. The people of Wisconsin wanted a reasonable voter I.D. law and they got one.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com