MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:
rrnate wrote:I'd like to probe the softer side of Blaska.

Q: What's your current waste size?

Can we all come together and agree that this (shitty) question is one we don't ever, ever want answered?

I don't think so. In this age of internet celebrity, I feel no information is off limits. Pony up the numbers Blaska - give us our answer and get back to that hard hitting sort of reporting, sort of making things up thing that you do!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
rrnate wrote:Q: What's your current waste size?

100%

I would have guessed more like 110%, based on his penchant for hyperbole.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Nate, your question, I'm afraid, has probed his backside and not his softer side. But hey, we are getting shit answers anyways so ask away!
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:Nate, your question, I'm afraid, has probed his backside and not his softer side. But hey, we are getting shit answers anyways so ask away!

Something tells me Blaska is soft all over. (***gags at joke***)

Sorry everybody.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:43 pm

ilikebeans wrote:But I see what you're getting at-- you think that there are enough fraudulent voters at the polls that don't get caught to justify the expenditure.

The only thing I was getting at is your correlating charged with actual fraudulent voters is inaccurate.

ilikebeans wrote:That's pretty much unprovable, but we can look at anecdotal evidence. How often do you hear from friends, relatives, or neighbors that they cast more than one vote without getting caught? The smart, disciplined ones wouldn't talk, of course, but we're talking about human nature here.

Another indicator: Exit polls while diverge substantially from the actual vote counts. Can't say I recall news items along those lines recently; do you?

Ok, let's apply the same test-- how often have you seen/heard of friends/relatives, etc. driving drunk without getting caught? Are we perhaps talking about a completely different scale of problem here?

Good points ILB but I'm unlikely to be in the grapevine of fraudulent voters.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:19 pm

bdog wrote:The only thing I was getting at is your correlating charged with actual fraudulent voters is inaccurate.

In a strict sense, of course. Conviction rates will be a better measure, which exist for other years and other states. And yes, of course occasionally the law is broken and entirely undetected.

But really, are you suggesting that sufficient numbers of preventable, fraudulent votes are being cast at the polls that would justify the expense? That's what the question is, and which Blaska continues to ignore.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Q: Dave do you really post on this forum as Ned Flanders?
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?
(Ou sont les neigedens d'antans?)
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:16 am

ilikebeans wrote:
bdog wrote:The only thing I was getting at is your correlating charged with actual fraudulent voters is inaccurate.

But really, are you suggesting that sufficient numbers of preventable, fraudulent votes are being cast at the polls that would justify the expense? That's what the question is, and which Blaska continues to ignore.

Well my honest answer is - I don't know. The expense may be justifiable to provide the public with a sense of confidence in our election process.

Wasn't that Joanne Kloppenburg's reasoning for the recount? She should be in full support of this.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 am

bdog wrote:Well my honest answer is - I don't know. The expense may be justifiable to provide the public with a sense of confidence in our election process.

Wasn't that Joanne Kloppenburg's reasoning for the recount? She should be in full support of this.

I thought the reason for that recount was the possibility of fraudulent vote counting. How does this law help with that issue?

And in these times of "What part of broke don't you idiot liberals understand," when we're forced to cut back in every infrastructure, why does the argument "The expense may be justifiable" have any merit at all?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:56 pm

My name is Humpty, pronounced with a Umpty.
Yo ladies, oh how I like to hump thee.
And all the Blaskas in the top ten--please allow me to bump thee.

Q1: What studies/statistics show that, for the other six states with strict photo voter ID laws, fraudulent voting at the ballot box decreased as a direct result of the law?

David Blaska wrote:Placing a mark on drivers licenses denoting felon is under consideration.

Q2: What is your source on this?
Q3: Assuming this plan passes, how would the law prevent felons from voting if they presented an ID other than their driver's license?

David Blaska wrote:As to the # of prosecutions: proving an intent and getting a conviction is a difficult and time-consuming proposition. Prevention is much more cost-effective.

Q4: Please cite numbers to show that prosecuting the current low numbers of fraudulent voters (11 charged in 2010) is more expensive to state taxpayers than the estimated $6 million this year and $4 million/year after this law will cost.

Optional question that requires no research at all!

Q5: Mr. Blaska, what is your opinion of the campaigns by Americans for Prosperity and Wisconsin Family Action to send absentee ballots with false submission dates and return addresses to AFP to solidly Democratic voting blocs?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Another question that requires no research at all! (thanks to acereraser for the link):

Q6: Mr. Blaska, please comment on the following quote by Paul Weyrich, noted conservative and founder of The Heritage Foundation and ALEC, among many others:

"I don't want everybody to vote," the influential conservative activist Paul Weyrich told a gathering of evangelical leaders in 1980. "As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:14 am

Mr. Blaska responded today in this thread.

David Blaska wrote:Citing Columbia University studies apparently is not enough. Hey, no one can force you to agree with facts you don't like. You want to believe Voter I.D. reduces turnout despite all the statistics, be my guest. That doesn't make you a liar; just a true believer -- and a thread hijacker.

I addressed the problems with the Columbia study twice earlier in this very thread, so I guess it's time to bump his later assertions requiring supporting facts yet again:

Q1: What studies/statistics show that, for the other six states with strict photo voter ID laws, fraudulent voting at the ballot box decreased as a direct result of the law?

David Blaska wrote:Placing a mark on drivers licenses denoting felon is under consideration.

Q2: What is your source on this?
Q3: Assuming this plan passes, how would the law prevent felons from voting if they presented an ID other than their driver's license?

David Blaska wrote:As to the # of prosecutions: proving an intent and getting a conviction is a difficult and time-consuming proposition. Prevention is much more cost-effective.

Q4: Please cite numbers to show that prosecuting the current low numbers of fraudulent voters (11 charged in 2010) is more expensive to state taxpayers than the estimated $6 million this year and $4 million/year after this law will cost.

Optional question that requires no research at all!

Q5: Mr. Blaska, what is your opinion of the campaigns by Americans for Prosperity and Wisconsin Family Action to send absentee ballots with false submission dates and return addresses to AFP to solidly Democratic voting blocs?

Another question that requires no research at all! (thanks to acereraser for the link):

Q6: Mr. Blaska, please comment on the following quote by Paul Weyrich, noted conservative and founder of The Heritage Foundation and ALEC, among many others:

"I don't want everybody to vote," the influential conservative activist Paul Weyrich told a gathering of evangelical leaders in 1980. "As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 am

Mr. Blaska:

Nice opinion piece in the pulp-and-ink Isthmus last week. I found it especially telling how you rant that "Madison liberals have no interest in opposing viewpoints" (there it is, right in the headline), painting the entire group with a brush broad enough to paint a barn, and then have the unmitigated gall to decry the lack of civil discourse at the end of the piece. Not in the least bit hypocritical. Nope.

But hey, for fun, let's mention the Ann Althouse quote you highlighted:

David Blaska wrote:Why does the left hate free speech? Blogger and UW-Madison law professor Ann Althouse answered her own question: "Because they don't know how to talk about the substantive merits when they are challenged...

Mr. Blaska. I have been challenging you on the merits of the factual claims you've made this entire thread, only to have you repeatedly abandon the conversation.

Anytime you wish to follow your own preaching, the six questions above are waiting for you. Hell, you can even pare it down by addressing your factual claims, and for which I have repeatedly asked for justification (Q1-Q4).

I and the rest of the Forum await your response.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am

Dave, I really want to take Harrass to "place" in third race at Pimlico tomorrow. But I'm afraid that she might scratch at the last minute.

Dave, what should I do if they scratch Harrass?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com