MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

cussin'

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

The amount of cursing on TDPF is...

Too much
17%
About right
52%
Not enough
30%

Total votes : 23

Re: cussin'

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:04 pm

rrnate wrote:
Comrade wrote:It does show a lower caliber of individual and a lack of depth of thought.

I also like to judge people like this, but instead of using profanity as the measurement, I have a complicated algorithm that incorporates several facets of personal appearance (clothes, build, hair color, etc.); upon calculation (using a hierarchical Bayesian model to make sure I'm completely understanding all interactions) , it spits out a number on my patented "caliber of individual" scale. I then know how to treat said person and can get on with living.

You've got a gadget for that? I'm still doing most of it in my head and sometimes some scrap paper for some of the math.

Is it on the Android market?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

rabble wrote:
rrnate wrote:
Comrade wrote:It does show a lower caliber of individual and a lack of depth of thought.

I also like to judge people like this, but instead of using profanity as the measurement, I have a complicated algorithm that incorporates several facets of personal appearance (clothes, build, hair color, etc.); upon calculation (using a hierarchical Bayesian model to make sure I'm completely understanding all interactions) , it spits out a number on my patented "caliber of individual" scale. I then know how to treat said person and can get on with living.

You've got a gadget for that? I'm still doing most of it in my head and sometimes some scrap paper for some of the math.

Is it on the Android market?

It's been withdrawn temporarily. Bald people were coded as "null" in the hair color field, which caused the app to crash.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Comrade wrote:However, when the f-bombs start flying here, I automatically discount much of what the poster is saying.

That's some lazy shit right there.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Words are scary.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Marvell wrote:

Like fucking hell it does, you pathetic milquetoast.

I'll take the 'individual caliber' and 'depth of thought' of Richard Pryor, Henry Miller and Hunter S. Thompson (to just point out the obvious examples) over yours, Comrade, any day of the week.

And depriving your kids of the chance to learn the art of the well-deployed 'fuck' is to cheapen their cultural heritage and rob them of one of the true joys of life. Your wife should tell your prim, prissy ass to just fuck off already.

Marvell, you are DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I hate seeing spellings like "f**k", or phrases like "f-bomb". That just shows that the person is a dishonest punk ass bitch who wants it both fucking ways. Its pretty much using the word without actually using it and then trying to be smug and superior about it. Fuck that.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Comrade wrote:
scratch wrote:
Comrade wrote:I seldom use them now. However, when the f-bombs start flying here, I automatically discount much of what the poster is saying. That does not add to credibility. It no longer shocks anyone. It does show a lower caliber of individual and a lack of depth of thought. It is not something to aspire to IMHO and should be avoided.

Kind of makes the "H" in "IMHO" seem a little hollow.

Well, then by all means just load up your B52 with F-bombs and fire away. If thats all you need to do increase crediblity, then have at it. Thats a lot easier than actually doing research and supporting arguements.

Funny thing is, some people make similar judgements based on spelling and grammatical errors. Thought you should know.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 pm

How does one vote in this poll? If I knew how to, I'd vote about the right amount. We are all adult enough to swear as much as we feel necessary and know what it means when we hear it. Obscenity? Basically, it no longer exists. After all, it's the 90's. A non issue, but good try

I like the clarity concerning the current decade.

I also agree swearing is pretty much dead. When I was in high school, I inched up on the cuss words, incrementally violating taboos one at a time. Now it's all over with by third grade.

That doesn't mean in the appropriate context, a well-constructed, rhythmic, properly fluent swear-sentence isn't still a pleasure to the eye and mind. And I particularly like the once-a-year construction where "fucking" goes not only in the middle of a sentence, but in the middle of a word: ex-fucking-zactly comes to mind.

All this should be rare, so you get a sense of "whoa! Nice cuss" and then go right on with the topic at hand without missing a beat.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Does James Lipton still ask actors what their favorite expletive is? Does he still do those brutal interviews? Is he still alive?

I don't even know what constitutes swearing anymore. Ass is pretty standard, as are hell and damn. In the Joyce house, those were known as "quarter words," because the tax for using them was relatively light. The effenheimer was a buck, I think. I loved it when my mom would debit her account before she knew she was going on a tirade.

Most dangerous are the guys who just slip them in everywhere, almost like sighs or "um" and "uh." I get the impression they can't/don't regulate for any person or occasion.

I don't remember much swearing from my dad, unless a joke or story necessitated it. My mom was a different story.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I didn't realize you were asking about the amount of cussing here in the forum. I would like to change my vote to 'about right'.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm not afraid to curse like a sailor as I was once one. I still remember my late mother-in-law talking about her mother-in-law: "She wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful." I've always loved that expression.

It's the pragmatics of speech and language. Certain language is appropriate in certain situations. In other situations it is not.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Vinnie P wrote:
Personally I hate seeing spellings like "f**k", or phrases like "f-bomb". That just shows that the person is a dishonest punk ass bitch who wants it both fucking ways. Its pretty much using the word without actually using it and then trying to be smug and superior about it. Fuck that.

THank you Vinnie P!

I think I've occasionally been guilty of this, probably when the thread seemed overly civil or tame. But you've just cured me of that fucking habit. Good work.

Swearing definitely has it's place and I think the Forum has just the right amount, typically. Sometimes you can't communicate your true feelings without a good "fuck".

Ned Flanders wrote:It's just not the same since Schick turned into Uncle Leaver and finally abandoned us yet again.

Look closer.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Comrade wrote:
scratch wrote:
Comrade wrote:I seldom use them now. However, when the f-bombs start flying here, I automatically discount much of what the poster is saying. That does not add to credibility. It no longer shocks anyone. It does show a lower caliber of individual and a lack of depth of thought. It is not something to aspire to IMHO and should be avoided.

Kind of makes the "H" in "IMHO" seem a little hollow.

Well, then by all means just load up your B52 with F-bombs and fire away. If thats all you need to do increase crediblity, then have at it. Thats a lot easier than actually doing research and supporting arguements.

Well I guess you told me! Now I feel like a piker for not lighting up my posting with more (or any) "F-bombs." Thanks for the B52 reference, though. Loved the band, and, in my youth, was a big fan of Francis Gary Powers and the B-52 planes.
Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. Now I feel more in sync.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:42 pm

ahh, the f word is too played. The c word still has some juice.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Huckleby wrote:ahh, the f word is too played. The c word still has some juice.

Come on, use the real words. Say it, fuck and cunt. In my opinion cunt is the new fuck. It's a harsh word to say and many cringe at it. Fuck can be used effectively but not too much. The beauty is that it has so many different uses. Don't fear the reaper.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 pm

scratch wrote:Thanks for the B52 reference, though. Loved the band, and, in my youth, was a big fan of Francis Gary Powers and the B-52 planes.

Francis Gary Powers was with a different band -- U2, not the B-52s.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com