MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:03 am

Hope you all feel nice and comfy now. No mean 'ol Blaska to interrupt the damp, sloppy circle-jerk around here.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:11 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Hope you all feel nice and comfy now. No mean 'ol Blaska to interrupt the circle-jerk.

You love those penis references, don't you? For years your fixation was on Bill Clinton's little head. Now you are generalizing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:15 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Hope you all feel nice and comfy now. No mean 'ol Blaska to interrupt the damp, sloppy circle-jerk around here.

Ned, you're tugging all wrong and starting to chafe Henry.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Hope you all feel nice and comfy now. No mean 'ol Blaska to interrupt the damp, sloppy circle-jerk around here.

So if he don't get paid, he can't post here? How exactly does that work?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 am

Perhaps his free speech isn't free- he requires compensation.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

I just hope his wife has a good cloth coat. It's getting cold out there.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 am

rabble wrote:
Huckleby wrote:
rabble wrote:That's kind of a twofer. Isthmus loses a freakin nut case conservative with sloppy journalism skills, and we lose a troll.

In what sense is Blaska a troll? What is difference between gadfly & troll?

A troll's purpose is to turn threads into such a cacophony of noise and argument that discussion effectively ends.

If your opinion is that Blaska doesn't do that, then in your reality he's not a troll.

The cacophony & noise comes from people who can't stand his opinions.

You didn't answer my question, but I will offer my own definition. A gadfly is somebody who has opinions that upsets a lot of people. A troll repetitively insults people, spams the forum with thoughtless slogans, and typically won't respond to others opinions.

By my definition, Blaska has zero troll behaviour, he is an annoying gadfly.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 am

Huckleby wrote:...typically won't respond to others opinions.

By your definition, Blaska did not (in any meaningful way) "respond to others opinions" so that made him a troll. And yes, he was also annoying.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:21 am

David Blaska: insults people, spams the forum with thoughtless slogans, and typically won't respond to others opinions.

Yeah that works for me. Maybe we are looking at different forums.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:The McKenna segment with David is here. His interview starts at about 18:45.

I just finished listening to the clip too. Is there another side of the story regarding the "written commitment of free speech" Blaska was rattling on about. He pointed to that as a catalyst for his "termination."

Also, how valid are his numbers for the Blaska's Blog's popularity. How much traffic does the Isthmus think it will lose by "freeing" Blaska up for bigger and better things?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Huckleby wrote:The cacophony & noise comes from people who can't stand his opinions.

You didn't answer my question, but I will offer my own definition. A gadfly is somebody who has opinions that upsets a lot of people. A troll repetitively insults people, spams the forum with thoughtless slogans, and typically won't respond to others opinions.

I answered your question. You just aren't accepting the answer. A troll's posts are calculated to incense others so drastically that the noise from their responses drowns out everything else. That's what a troll does. The word doesn't originate from the thing under the bridge, it comes from the fishing term, trolling to see what bites. Blaska also does all those other things in your definition of troll, so he also qualifies as "asshole" but the two terms are not synonyms.

I thought you understood this whole internet thing. Google it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 pm

And that would be a circle-jerk in which you by way of your posting are still involved. Feeling a little conflicted this morning, Neddy?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:50 pm

scratch wrote:

And that would be a circle-jerk in which you by way of your posting are still involved. Feeling a little conflicted this morning, Neddy?

Not at all. I welcome all POVs. I even read the goofy "Emily's Post".

Unlike some here, I'm not into "banning", which, incidentally, usually says more about the complainer than the person banned.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Dave Blaska has been a great and valued contributor to Isthmus. He's a really good writer and he introduces a lot of thought-provoking ideas to the discussion. His blog was always well read and well commented and we'll miss all of that.

The truth is that we're shifting our resources to more reporting, news writing and arts/entertainment coverage on the site, which have always been Isthmus' mission (see last week's story on Madison Prep, devoid of most of the standard right/left talking points and browbeating). Other changes to the site are in the works that will reflect this.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Unlike some here, I'm not into "banning", which, incidentally, usually says more about the complainer than the person banned.

Since we're talking about Blaska, I will say I don't think anyone ever asked that he be banned. The gripe was the fact that he was paid for poor, er, reporting? Sure it was a blog, but I think he treated it as if he was a reporter. It was ALWAYS partisan. This is why I like Dave's blog because he can talk politics, but he can also talk about winter biking. That's what makes it a blog.

Sounds like all the blogging will have to go given Joyce's recent statement. I do hope they hire a decent conservative writer at least.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com