MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, 'kay?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, 'kay?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm

An electronic petition she's urging people to "sign" says:

We, the undersigned, are fed up with the abusive anonymous and pseudonymous comments allowed on your website. The name calling, personal attacks and just plain mean nature of many comments made by people who do not use their real names discourages public participation, prevents people from running for public office and deters people from standing up and speaking out. Please change your commenting policies to require real names to be used to comment and delete the mean spirited and often useless comments that are so common.

Elsewhere, she lists the following remarks made about her, personally, which she feels dissuades other committed folks from seeking out public service.

a dingbat, a scumbucket, irrelevant, a Progressive Dane thug, anti-american, idiotic, hysterical, nonsensical, perpetually offended, a blowhard, out of touch with reality, a sleezebag, useless, pathetic, crazy, etc. And I’m told to “get a life”, am accused of “using minorities”, remarks are made about me being fat, I’m asked to move to Germany or Alaska and there is a suggestion that we “Send Brenda on a one way ticket out of this country.”, told to wash my hair, my blog is called worthless, I’m asked to “move on”, there’s a comment about who is going to protect my “crazy a**”, apparently I think “the only public service that exists is to suck at the nipple of public benefits.” One person says “ha, ha” and hopes I’m reading the comments. And my personal favorite – One poster says “I would suggest we handover Brenda to the Taliban so that they can give her the Burqua treatment and make her invisible.”

I'm no fan of anonymity, but some of this message board's finest contributors have persuaded me that it's something to accommodate if only because their contributions simply wouldn't happen if they had to ID themselves. That's not so they can take shots at the poor, beleaguered politicians, but because they don't need some people in their lives knowing about their hobby.

I wonder how many of Brenda's PD associates are in that group (I know of a few). I also have to laugh out loud (literally) when I compare some of the emails I've saved in a folder called "Forum BS" to Brenda's collection up there.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, '

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:51 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm no fan of anonymity, but some of this message board's finest contributors have persuaded me that it's something to accommodate if only because their contributions simply wouldn't happen if they had to ID themselves. That's not so they can take shots at the poor, beleaguered politicians, but because they don't need some people in their lives knowing about their hobby.

Just who are "some of this message board's finest contributors" and who are "some people in their lives knowing about their hobby"?

State workers and their employers by any chance, Jason?
someone else
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:01 pm

someone else wrote:Just who are "some of this message board's finest contributors" and who are "some people in their lives knowing about their hobby"?

State workers and their employers by any chance, Jason?

Note the color.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Brenda's one of my favorite people, but this sort of puzzles me. If I wanted a forum where people used their real names, which is another way of saying I want a forum where people have more incentive to be civil, I'd start my own and announce it on those other forums where people aren't so civil. It's not that hard to create and maintain a forum any more, and rule it with a heavier hand than Isthmus or mad dot com does. Maybe some of the public people in the city could create one together.

Actually if it were me, using my real name, I just wouldn't respond to the uncivil stuff. I'd announce that I wouldn't be responding such things and if any others found anything in them that they felt needed a response, they should ask them themselves in a more civil manner and I'd respond to them, not the original poster. I think doing that consistently would cut down the noise.

But maybe that tactic has its own drawbacks.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:06 pm

HVs "you are a troll" or "you are Mr. Blues" comments never get old...so funny every time.

One of TDPF's finest.......Jason must be so proud of you!
someone else
Forum Addict

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 pm

You mean I wasn't supposed to use my real name when I signed up here?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Brenda: ain't gonna happen.

I would not post if I had to put my name out here. I post for the benefit and entertainment of the board and the community and anyone who pleases can use what I write for any purpose that suits them.

I was electronically stalked by one person on this board and would not have wanted him to find out where I lived -- I got the distinct impression he was a creep. It was then I realized clearly I was doing what was best for me by remaining anonymous.

Anonymous commentary is customary on blogs, Twitter, and forums all over the state, nation, and world. If someone in the public eye can't stand that, changing the policy on this one forum isn't going to help.

Would it help if I created an account called Michelle Patrick? I'll do that if it'd keep the peace. Works for Michael Patrick, right?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:I was electronically stalked by one person on this board and would not have wanted him to find out where I lived -- I got the distinct impression he was a creep. It was then I realized clearly I was doing what was best for me by remaining anonymous.

Brenda's main beef was with the anonymous comments on articles, not Jason's funhouse forum for the socially impaired. If you have a facebook, you can read the discussion he is responding to.
someone else
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 pm

snoqueen wrote:Brenda: ain't gonna happen.
[...]
Anonymous commentary is customary on blogs, Twitter, and forums all over the state, nation, and world. If someone in the public eye can't stand that, changing the policy on this one forum isn't going to help.
Beyond that, it's critical to attracting input from those whose input might upset employers, landlords, etc.

(If I'm not mistaken, Brenda has run across at least one or two unfair landlords in her day.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

someone else wrote:... forum for the socially impaired.

Q.E.D.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 pm

someone else wrote:Brenda's main beef was with the anonymous comments on articles, not Jason's funhouse forum ...

That's how she worded it, but it was obvious from her retort that she meant forum too.

I'm surprised she doesn't know the difference.

She will just have to learn to live with our little forum blog.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 pm

bdog wrote:She will just have to learn to live with our little forum blog.

What on Earth makes you think this forum is impervious to social judgement and change? Entitlement is a narcissistic personality disorder. This forum is a stark example of that.

I believe that if this forum were to vanish in a blink of an eye, most of what Jason calls his "finest" will try to kill themselves. Most will be unable to pull it off.
someone else
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:09 pm

someone else wrote:I believe that if this forum were to vanish in a blink of an eye, most of what Jason calls his "finest" will try to kill themselves. Most will be unable to pull it off.

Ya wanna splain to me again how all these other people are haters and you ain't?

It's society ain't it? You used to be such a loving, peaceful man, minding your own business, building a family, then the marauding horde descended, laying waste to your little farm, killing your family and raping your livestock. You became an embittered warrior, lashing out at evil haters, hunting them down, one by one, snuffing the life out of their forums until...

Oh, sorry. Was that out loud?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Except you, right, S.E.? You're way above this place and its inhabitants. So above and beyond it that you just HAVE to keep coming back to remind everyone, right?

It's always made me laugh that the handful of smugsters who can't stop ripping the Forons also can't seem to find anything better to do with their time. The internet has literally billions of pages, and they keep coming back to this one to complain about it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 pm

jjoyce wrote:Except you, right, S.E.? You're way above this place and its inhabitants. So above and beyond it that you just HAVE to keep coming back to remind everyone, right?

It's always made me laugh that the handful of smugsters who can't stop ripping the Forons also can't seem to find anything better to do with their time. The internet has literally billions of pages, and they keep coming back to this one to complain about it.

I know Jason, it's hard to resist making fun of you. Mostly because you are such a pompous asshole. You had such potential with this forum and you failed epic. You could have been Marc Zuckerberg or Tom Anderson, this forum was here before they were and you fucked it up.

This forum could have been something cool and important. You think the people who live in our community shouldn't care about that. It's depressing that you turned this into nothing but a target of ridicule and embarrassment like you said. Lots of people think just like Brenda does. As a result, irresponsible management of online community media exchange is targeted for extinction. If the community forums are going to be mismanaged and the media outlets are going to continue to not give a shit, what do you really expect?

You're going down, bro. Deal with it. People in this town hate you.
someone else
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com