MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, 'kay?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, '

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I post on this forum using one screen name.

I do not post in the isthmus comments sections for individual articles because those ask for a real name (though I bet half the real names are fake, since it hardly requires a voter ID).

There is a distinction, as you can see, and it has real consequences.

And I think TDPF is pretty good at what it does and functions well. It's as close to anarchy as you get on a commercial site, really, and the moderator only steps in when everyone gets totally fed up and is about to leave. It's lasted much longer than most discussion forums last, so the signal-to-noise ratio can't be all that bad.

I read the Madison newspapers comment sections (especially the State Journal) fairly seldom, in contrast, because I believe a lot of the most foul and illiterate wingnut postings are coming from a small group of individuals with numerous accounts who treat it like a full-time job to spread their nonsense. I don't have time to pick through looking for a few reasonable comments.

Most of the blogs I frequent allow anonymous comments reviewed by the moderator. That's appropriate for the blog of a single individual, which will usually be small enough and specific enough for that more limited policy to work well.

I think the internet is big enough for everyone and for all policies, and if you prefer a real-name policy, that's perfectly OK. I'm not sure how you guarantee a name is real, as Narco illustrated, so whatever comfort real names provide may be illusory.

Why is this even an issue? If you don't like some particular page, don't go there. Somewhere, somebody is saying something bad about every one of us, most likely. We can't stop the right-wing blather machine from calling Obama an alien, we can't stop Santorum from saying the Netherlands kills off old people, and we can't stop people from saying bad things about other Madisonians.

I see no shortage of qualified people running for judge, for school board, or for any of the other offices around here with open seats.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:14 pm

In a single post:
Brenda Konkel wrote:So, I've had a blog... I don't have any of the nasty crap... Tho it did take me a while before I turned the comments on... I have 2000+ "friends" on facebook... I have 700+ followers on twitter... Turning me over to the Taliban... So forgive me... A see a few comment up, people are still making this about me... I probably have the thickest skin...

Followed by:
Brenda Konkel wrote:It's not about me...

Really?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:15 pm

How exactly is Jason killing the Forum??

In the 6+ years I've been on here the quality/goofy/crap ratio has been pretty even. If anything, what's lacking is what people aren't saying lately. There hasn't been a lot of interesting non-political talk and, just as an example, when a newer foron asks for date ideas it turns into a gag thread. Gags are fine but would it kill ya to also throw out a suggestion for the person?

Jason can moderate content but he can't create it all, that's up to us.

And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that list of names that Brenda was called, including the taliban thing, all on madison.com? Why is TDPF taking the brunt of this?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm

narcoleptish wrote:And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that list of names that Brenda was called, including the taliban thing, all on madison.com? Why is TDPF taking the brunt of this?

Yes . . . that is the ironic part of all of this. It's because Jason criticized me on his facebook page (most of it was debunked) and then started this thread. I actually think he protested a bit too much and changed the focus substantially. Then . . . .made it worse by never saying that this type of behavior is unacceptable and refusing to engage in the conversation. He took his ball and went home now because I irritated him. I would have been shocked when he wrote this, but I think he meant it
jjoyce wrote:This is the most fun I've had on Forum in months!

He loves this stuff - and won't deny it. Its why I have a low opinion of him and said so. I think he thinks it ok for people so say all kinds of rude stuff about public figures and others in his little playground. So, here we are.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm

People say rude stuff about public figures everywhere. You're the one who lumped mad.com's comments with TDPF and I think that's disingenuous.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Ms. Konkel, you seem eager to take the side of a future politician but not that of the common person. 99.9% of the people I know are not in "the public eye".

The Internet has shown to be a great tool for collaboration. Would ideas spring forward if everyone had to post their name? What about criticism? Would real names encourage honest criticism of the system?

What about stupid stuff every human has done? Coupled with the fact that everyone likes to keep their dossier current, I hope the Government never makes a mistake. FBI plans social network map alert mash-up application:(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16738209)

I think if comments scare a would-be politician off, then these places are doing you a favor. As mentioned several times in this thread, a politician can't please everyone.

I don't think it fair that JJ brought a fight from over there to here, especially when he knows his crew will have his back.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 pm

I've been out of town for a few days, and I have to say from reading all the comments from the beginning: Brenda, thank you for reminding me why you no longer hold office and most likely never will again.

Remember when Progressive Dane had several city council seats and was perceived to be in the ascendency in local politics? Brenda Konkel was obstensibly the leader.

What happened to them? Why did they lose influence and fall so quickly? Could it be that someone was so full of herself and politically tone-deaf that they lost credibilty?

You have a lot to answer for Ms. Konkel. You may think that's "mean", but look at the scoreboard. How influential is PD today? And you have the nerve to knock this forum. I can see why Jason thinks it's funny. It's a pity that you don't.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:46 pm

So this is a facebook inspired thread? Just more proof that facebook is evil.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:07 pm

This discussion is especially surreal in light of the fact the the facebook/google cyber-complex (that Eisenhower would have warned us about, had he imagined) is seeking to record and map everyone's most minute move. (Online, that is. It will infer the rest.)

It also calls to mind the MPAA's attempt to lock down the internet because certain uses of it seem to cause some (immeasurable) harm or inconvenience to it's way of doing business. And, of course, there're no plausible uses for the internet other than freely exchanging copyrighted materials. (I mean, isn't that what you do all day?)

TDPF serves as a means of gathering information to some, but it's understood there will be a lot of noise and interference since there's a low threshold to making noise. But that same low threshold allows for information and insight that isn't available in other forums.

Forum members have to deal with chattering stooges on a regular basis. Give them some credit.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 pm

I had a thoughtful and well reasoned post about Brenda all typed and ready to submit. Then I flashed on my dear old mother, who actually often said to me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So...How 'bout them Badgers?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 am

I May Have Done Something Stupid
Posted February 27th, 2012 @ 9:04 AM by Brenda Konkel

But, thanks to the following people . . . I think its ok! :)

Yeah, I picked a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

I think this same quote came up in the Maniaci situation

If only Brenda had sought Bridget's counsel before publishing her embarrassing little petition...maybe next time?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:11 am

Well I really like Brenda, usually agree with her and don't understand why she attracts so much hostility....but I think she is really wrong this time. On the bright side, this issue didn't provoke anywhere near the number of insulting personal comments people tend to make about her.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:07 am

Walter wrote:That's not me.

My real name is Surly C. Rude.

Same thought I had the last time that name came up: Why not Surly B. Rude? Makes much more sense to me.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 am

bdog wrote:Jason - Forum re-boot!
Kill us all and let God sort it out!

Or Meade, to the extent there's a difference.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm

First, Brenda Konkel leading the charge for civility in public discourse is just priceless. She makes EVERYTHING personal. So you all can just "lick my armpits!" (BTW, wasn't that the absolute low point in local civility as displayed by an elected official during the last decade?)

Second, not everyone has the sweet gig that Brenda has set up for herself. She can spend her days posting at work and not worry that the board she has selected for the TRC will question whether her bomb throwing might hurt the organization. The rest of us rabble can not take the chance of having our "free speech" hurting our positions at work. But in the end it is all about Brenda. She can not see that others don't have the privileged position to publicly speak out on any and all topics without any blow back. Some of us have to be more careful.

Brenda only believes the privileged few like her should be allowed to have the megaphone.

Finally, it is too funny that she holds her own blog up as the ideal when it comes to comments. Rarely does anyone else besides her posts there. That is Brenda's ideal "free speech" world. "I speak and you shut up!"
Phil
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com