MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Thursday, March 5, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 5.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

How to improve TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: How to improve TDPF

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 pm

I don't know what to call her, bdog. She got offended when someone referred to her as Mrs. Althouse, apparently because "Mrs." is a sexist way of referring to a woman who is married but keeps her maiden name. What is the appropriate address for a woman who is married but keeps her maiden name? Ms.?

Perhaps she'd just like to be Prof. Ann Althouse, Esq. You'll have to ask her.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:59 am

Fair enough but "hubby" is the best you could do?

How about "Althouse"?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 am

bdog wrote:Fair enough but "hubby" is the best you could do?

How about "Althouse"?

You mean like referring to "Meade and his Althouse?"

I guess I could get behind that.

I think you're grasping at straws in an attempt to claim that "both sides are exactly the same" in this case, but one must work with the materials at hand.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:57 am

Grasping at straws would be claiming that referring to someone as a "hubby" is sexist somehow. As far as I know, "hubby," "significant other" and "partner" are gender neutral. Regardless, you twist like a pretzel trying to manufacture some outrage on that one, especially considering that I've referred to Meade as Althouse's "trained monkey," which I'm pretty sure is an insult in any context.

You don't have to swing at every pitch.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:33 am

pjbogart wrote:As far as I know, "hubby," "significant other" and "partner" are gender neutral.

My understanding has always been that "hubby" is slang for "husband", and thus decidedly not gender neutral. Maybe that's changing?

There used to be a (female) writer for Isthmus who repeatedly referred to "The Huz" in her columns. That always was like fingernails on a blackboard to me.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 pm

PJ, I do not think it means what you think it means.

But if you really thought that hubby was acceptable terminology for a man's wife, then I withdraw my complaint.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:59 pm

We need a compromise. Meade suggests charging a buck a post. Let's start with him and see how that works out.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:57 pm

bdog wrote:PJ, I do not think it means what you think it means.

But if you really thought that hubby was acceptable terminology for a man's wife, then I withdraw my complaint.

You're right. I guess I never attached a gender to the word "hubby" but apparently it refers exclusively to men. The obvious colloquial reference to "husband" should have tipped me off. But honestly, if I were referring to Ann Althouse as a husband, the insult would be directed towards her, not Meade, and for all of my offensive dickishness, impugning people according to gender roles has never been part of my playbook. You'll have to speak to Ned about such things.

But the original point remains. Althouse and Meade stirring things up on Capitol Square in support of Walker's policies seems rather ironic given that Althouse is an overpaid teacher with too much job security. Perhaps she'd like to surrender her tenure in support of a more merit-based system of staffing at the university?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm

pjbogart wrote:But the original point remains.

Your original point remains what?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 am

Meade wrote:

I think you're the only one who didn't read the rest of the paragraph, son. Give it another shot.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 am

rabble wrote:I think you're the only one who didn't read the rest of the paragraph, son. Give it another shot.

He says his original point stands. Stands what? Scrutiny? Here's his "original point":
Yeah, not to pick at scabs, but consider this angle. Meade and his hubby, a tenured law professor go down to the Capitol to pick fights with... get this... overpaid teachers with too much job security!

His "point" doesn't stand because it isn't even a point. It's an assertion, an accusation without evidence, and a personal insult that, when his not-so covert sexism was pointed out to him, pj lamely tried to joke away. Does his point stand? Looks more like erectile dysfunction to me.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Taco » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 am

Amigos,

I suggest that instead of Meade's ridiculous $1 per post idea, we have Taco Tuesdays.
Taco
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I continue to be interested in ideas to improve TDPF.

Much of the chest thumping above is tedious and argues as much as anything for a nuking of the boards. I don't care about Meade's personal life and neither should you, particularly if you're deliberately anonymous on the board so nobody can find anything out about your own personal life.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:Much of the chest thumping above is tedious and argues as much as anything for a nuking of the boards. I don't care about Meade's personal life and neither should you, particularly if you're deliberately anonymous on the board so nobody can find anything out about your own personal life.

Good to hear you acknowledge that.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com