MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Actual time spent here

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Actual time spent here

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

When bored I occasionally figure out how much actual time I've spent so far in my life doing monotonous daily tasks, like drying off after a shower. So I was gazing at my post total tonight and got to thinking..

I'm a slow typer and I tend to blank on words I want to use, I end up going over what I write, I check spelling, blah blah... it probably takes me longer to post than most of you. Using completely random reasoning I've come to the conclusion that I probably average 8 minutes a post, and that could very well be low.

8 X 2967 = 23736 divided by 60 = 395.6 divided by 24 = 16.5 solid days.

That's just typing posts, not simply reading threads.

Ooof.

How about you Henry?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Actual time spent here

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 pm

I don't know about Henry, but when I'm on a roll I can spent a LOT of time on one posting. (It's always at night.)

I spent about an hour doing research on the supreme court/ healthcare thing just tonight to put together a reply to Meade, which is a total waste of time (Meade, not the healthcare issue). But it's good for the mind.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 am

narcoleptish wrote:How about you Henry?

Half my fucking life.

I'm a multi-tasker and since Ms Vilas has yet to retire, I'm a house husband and do a lot of chores throughout our stately manor. My computer is usually up during my waking hours and I check the board periodically throughout the day. I obviously post a lot, and unapologetically so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm

I can't really speak to how much time I've spent here, but if the topic is wasting time on-line as opposed to specifically wasting it on TDPF, I've got some interesting anecdotes.

Web Sudoku tracks your average time, best time and total number of puzzles. Over the last two years I've done 814 medium puzzles with an average of 5:58 each. It doesn't track the ones you mess up or abandon, so I'm sure the number is quite a bit higher than 81.4 hours.

When Skyrim came out I was completely addicted... probably even skipped my morning Sudoku most days. It took me 2 months to completely max out a character, logging 104 hours. So I worked 160 hours, slept a bit less than that, and played Skyrim 104 hours in two months. Yikes.

But that's not even that bad. In the MMORPG world, one World of Warcraft player reportedly logged more than 800 DAYS of playing, or 19200 hours. Roughly two and a half years of their life spent on-line playing WOW. According to Guiness however, the verified record is over 700 days logged into Runescape.

So, what do you say Henry? You've got time on your hands. Wanna tackle WOW or Runescape?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:48 am

pjbogart wrote:So, what do you say Henry? You've got time on your hands. Wanna tackle WOW or Runescape?

If they were around 50 years ago, maybe. But maybe not as I didn't play D&D when I was a lad.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com