MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

TDPF complaint department

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 am

gargantua wrote:I don't think we are powerless. We can self-police TDPF if we want to. So much negativity can be avoided if we can collectively agree to simply ignore people who are obviously just trying to stir up trouble and shit on threads. In the past, I have sometimes broken my own rule against engaging with them because it was a diversion. I won't do that any more. If you don't take the bait, sooner or later they'll stop fishing.

I agree, certain posters are not here to engage, they are here to provoke and to crap all over threads. I refrain from responding to those people.

A number of times I have drafted posts, but then didn't click submit because I knew it was pointless. In fact, I'm convinced it would have been counter-productive.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:A number of times I have drafted posts, but then didn't click submit because I knew it was pointless.

In certain threads I've probably done this more times than make actual posts.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:44 pm

gargantua wrote:Somebody...-remember me- perhaps? Anyway, one bad thread ended when remember me said something like "this thread can end with this post if you want it to".

I've only seen it used once, and I think it worked.

I don't think we are powerless. We can self-police TDPF if we want to. So much negativity can be avoided if we can collectively agree to simply ignore people who are obviously just trying to stir up trouble and shit on threads. In the past, I have sometimes broken my own rule against engaging with them because it was a diversion. I won't do that any more. If you don't take the bait, sooner or later they'll stop fishing.

Yes, remember me's killing of that thread was a beautiful thing, and it's absolutely true that we have the power to make this board what we want by a) using the ignore function on posters we find objectionable, and b) not using the quote function to carry their crap forward. Aside from the occasional quoted sentence or two, I have not read anything of Cornholio for a few weeks now. I'm assuming I've not missed anything.

And Henry Vilas, I love you man, but I think you win the prize for top troll feeder around.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:50 pm

The ignore feature doesn't exist unless you log in. I really never log into any service unless I have a specific task in mind, so the effect of setting ignore would be vanishingly small.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:54 pm

fennel wrote:The ignore feature doesn't exist unless you log in. I really never log into any service unless I have a specific task in mind, so the effect of setting ignore would be vanishingly small.

That's true, and you often end up seeing the posts of people you have on ignore. But in order to respond to them, you need to log in, at which point their post disappears (reminding you not to respond).

It's actually quite effective.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 am

Hey fennel, just curious why you choose not to use the "log me in automatically" feature (assuming, of course, that you're aware of the feature and have a reason).

For the record (not that it matters to anyone, most likely), the Corn man is the only poster I've ever put on my ignore list, but I'm considering others.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm

massimo wrote:Yes, remember me's killing of that thread was a beautiful thing...

What I did wasn't the beautiful thing.

The beautiful thing was the community actually heeding my suggestion.

Kudos to my fellow Forons for banding together in the face of blatant trollery.

massimo wrote:And Henry Vilas, I love you man, but I think you win the prize for top troll feeder around.

Ol' Henry's one of the few pillars here holding this joint up. Invaluable in every sense of the word.

I just think the IPA's get to his better judgement at times.

A highly forgivable offense.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Ol' Henry's one of the few pillars here holding this joint up. Invaluable in every sense of the word.

I agree 100%, and I didn't mean any offense to Ol' Henry. Though he may sometimes over-engage, he's fighting the good fight and contributes more than most (and a lot more than I).
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
massimo wrote:And Henry Vilas, I love you man, but I think you win the prize for top troll feeder around.

I just think the IPA's get to his better judgement at times.

I've passed the baton to Stu (re: trolls). And yes to the IPA comment.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com