MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

TDPF complaint department

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Detritus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Detritus wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I think the choice is between active moderation and letting the ship sink. You're not attracting a lot of good new contributors leaving things as they are.

Speaking of active moderation: jjoyce? You there? Any comments?

Bump.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Why not assign the monitoring of the forum to someone else in Isthmus's offices, if Joyce has lost interest or burned out? Or is it not worthwhile in a bottom line sense?

I'd think the forum draws a good number of readers to the web page, if you go by the readership numbers by topic (which are visible to everyone). Once, in fact, it was the place to go in Madison media for non-insane readers' discussion. A little cleanup might do wonders, since I doubt everyone in town has come to prefer discussion in the form of Twitter one-liners or imitations of talk radio rants.

Isthmus could even change moderators anonymously whenever they want, using the Admin account which does not specify to the readership who exactly has the keys.

The editors killed off their blog format with a deliberate decision, so we know they're capable of that when they have the will.

You asked, we answered.... now what?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 pm

I think there was an oft-noted spate of taunting around the Walker recall. But things have calmed down.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:06 pm

I have a few thoughts.

1. New Media Meade the Moderate Meade is factually incorrect when he says a certain elder blogger was "pushed out." When we stopped running the retiree's blog, we actively invited him to continue to contribute to the paper and nothing was done about any Forum or commenting account. He could post right now if he wanted to. His absence from TDPF is up to him.

2. As I made pretty clear, traffic to TDPF stays pretty constant (big spikes on election days, notwithstanding). I'm personally not complaining about much here, just pointing out to those who are complaining why things are the way they are, in my opinion. Even if most of you wanted me to ban Meade, I wouldn't. People have been calling on me to ban Ned for years. I mean, what would Meade do without Forum? Make MORE videos? Can the world handle more moderate new media?

c. There aren't that many, if any, sock puppets here, based on an occasional perusal of IP addresses.

7. People who come here to escape boredom aren't always donkeys. Lots of our best contributors have been bored by their jobs or by their lack of jobs. I shouldn't have implied that.

iii. Here's what I hate most about banning someone: They always come back. I mean always. So then I have to ban them again, sometimes a dozen times or more. It feels too much like those guys at the Tournament of Roses parade who follow the horses around. What's really pathetic are these frustrated derelicts who got banned years ago, but still show up to cry about how this place is an echo chamber that's intolerant of differing viewpoints. They type this into the board and then those posts remain here while their second or third or fourth accounts remain active. They hate this place so damn much they can't stop themselves from coming back every week to tell us how much they hate it and how unfair they think it is here. Anonymously. Because they either don't want us to know what they do in real life or that they don't do anything in real life. One particularly unhinged character will insult me over and over on other sites and then send an email asking for the favor of re-activating her account so she can post about migrating cranes. "I know you 86d me, but tonight I promise not to throw up all over the bar."

Huck's right... things have calmed down.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bert Ernie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 am

Perspectives from a relative newbie: Why not throw out the trash? I agree with the poster who said "if Isthmus doesn't care much about this forum, why should we?"

Folks like Corn and Meade should indeed just be ignored -- either officially through the forum mechanism or by simply not reading or responding to their posts. Neither of these guys -- or those like them -- has any real desire to forward thoughts or ideas. They simply get some level of satisfaction by pimping others (yes...seems kind of junior-high, doesn't it?). Why permit it? They add very little -- if anything -- to the quality of discussion and to the general discourse. Throw 'em out. You don't need a reason or some rubric to weed out the trolls. If you see it, get rid of it.

I'm for handing off moderator duties to volunteers interested in the community if Isthmus is not interested in doing it. This works very well in other forums.
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:53 pm

I certainly hate some of the posters here in the forum. My problem is that I lack the mental facility to keep track of which ones I hate. So to you, thread reader, be mindful that I very well may hate you, but neither of us are aware of it.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Bert Ernie wrote:They add very little -- if anything -- to the quality of discussion and to the general discourse. Throw 'em out. You don't need a reason or some rubric to weed out the trolls. If you see it, get rid of it.

I'm aware of this. Again, that's what we've been accused of doing in the past. "TDPF is just one guy's personal fiefdom! It's an echo chamber!"

But you state your opinion like it's a fact. I'm aware of a different reality; that Meade has an audience that appreciates his contributions.

I mean, if you agree with BE and have read a Meade post in the last week, then are you being hypocritical? How many come here because they want the little buzz you get when you read something really offensively Meade-ish?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bert Ernie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm aware of this. Again, that's what we've been accused of doing in the past. "TDPF is just one guy's personal fiefdom! It's an echo chamber!"

But you state your opinion like it's a fact. I'm aware of a different reality; that Meade has an audience that appreciates his contributions.

I mean, if you agree with BE and have read a Meade post in the last week, then are you being hypocritical? How many come here because they want the little buzz you get when you read something really offensively Meade-ish?
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm aware of this. Again, that's what we've been accused of doing in the past. "TDPF is just one guy's personal fiefdom! It's an echo chamber!"

I don't think it's a matter of opinion to decipher whether someone has added something to the discourse (whether I agree with it or not) and someone who is simply prodding, poking, and the like. Not hard to see those folks (er....Corn anyone?). You may indeed get more people to the site because they want to see a car wreck. If that is the goal -- traffic -- and you think that "seeing something really offensively Mead-ish" is the way to do that -- even if that adds little or no value to discussion -- I understand that. But then, this isn't the place for me. And I think it speaks even louder about the type of readership, perhaps, that Isthmus is soliciting and catering to.

I don't have to agree with someone to respect their viewpoint. We should be able to disagree without disrespect (and I know I've wrestled with this myself). But if someone is simply here to stir the pot, and you allow that because there is readership that wants to see that and comes to the site to SEE that......well....then this isn't the forum for me.
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:57 pm

You may indeed get more people to the site because they want to see a car wreck. If that is the goal -- traffic -- and you think that "seeing something really offensively Mead-ish" is the way to do that -- even if that adds little or no value to discussion -- I understand that. But then, this isn't the place for me.

I appreciate your speaking my mind in a manner more forthright than I have employed.

Translation: "This ^^"

Why would someone put thought into a post destined to be part of a site where the viewers come to see car wrecks?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:12 pm

I just re-read some of the "prayer death" thread and realized how much things have changed. Sure there was a lot of nastiness in that thread, Chuck Schick style, but also lots of good posts.

The thing that strikes me is no or not much disparaging of the opposite political party. You can't start any kind of headline topic today without it devolving to that in less than 10 posts.

I like Meade's posts. The intrade thread had a certain artistic element to it.

Anywho, my suggestion: put in a word filter. Replace every occurence of Republicans, Democrats, conservatives, liberals, etc. with "my asshole".

You've done it before with "some guy". And it could be fun.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:54 pm

part of this may also be romanticizing the good ol' days. I still cannot read the words 'ad hominem' anywhere without cringing.....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 pm

I have no complaints. I wish non-political subjects could get more attention than they do but I'm not leaving because of it.

I've never had a problem reading around the garbage and employing my own internal ignore function. It's like the newspaper, I read the headline and maybe the first paragraph, if it's interesting I read on, if it isn't I move on. Easy peasy.

I will say that accusing every single new oddball of being Sheppy is pretty played out.

I'm going to have a cocktail now. Anybody got a problem with that?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:07 am

Hang on a moment, let me get this straight. You see the homogenous "social" media as a threat to this forum? My Facebook account is scheduled to terminate July 4th (no lie). That is how I will be celebrating independence day.
Last edited by Mad Howler on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:34 am

Here is a simple suggestion.

Sort the political topics to the bottom of TDPF page. So you kind of gotta scroll past all the other topics that may or may not draw you into the community. Hey, did I just say that word? I think it is.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com