MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Adam Powell on the state of online community

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Adam Powell on the state of online community

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:I don't think you get it, rabble. To use your crude terminology, the troll's goal isn't to "crap" on the board, it's to get your reaction. Lack of attention is the itch, the attention that you provide is the scratch.

YOU don't get it, Jason. I'm not the only one telling you: lack of attention doesn't have the effect you claim it does.

They just keep going. Eventually someone comes along to feed them, but that's not the motivation. The purpose is to overwhelm the board. Attention is a side effect.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 pm

jjoyce wrote:(I value the contributions of forons like Mean Scenester and Prof. Wagstaff

So you're gonna call me out yet value Mean Scenester who's done the same thing?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55308

I actually had no problem with that, I'm just saying that you seem to have some double standards. I've also seen you egg these people on as well, so save us the lecture.

jjoyce wrote: Lack of attention is the itch, the attention that you provide is the scratch.

While I agree most of the time, I think there are a few exceptions. PB was one and was rightfully taken out of the mix. CB is another. While I've gotten to the point of finding the posts almost amusing, I don't think he even cares for a written reaction because he knows he'll get one regardless given the absurdity of his posts. Some other folks are just tools and I could care less if they are on here or not. Most everyone else, even if I totally disagree, seem just fine. I don't like what some people say, but I think it would be ridiculous to ban and even to put on an ignore list. I don't think you should ignore someone you simply disagree with even if what they say, in your mind, is a lie.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Welcome to the club.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
A lot of times it also seems that the definition of "troll" is anyone who disagrees with the majority.

I gotta say this is completely off-base. If you can't see the difference between a civilized conservative point of view and the shit-flinging trolls we've got bigger problems than complete absence of moderation.

I can see the difference. I didn't say that there was no actual trolling. I think the word is overused and used when it doesn't really apply. Sometimes it does really apply. I wasn't talking specifically about political stuff either.

People outside the "in crowd" who fight back "too hard" get the blame, even if they are just standing up for themselves. I suppose those people will all eventually get banned.

fisticuffs wrote:Nobody here gets banned especially not for their point of view. The victim card doesn't work when there are no victims.

There are too many people here to shut down the shit with silence. Someone is going to respond to the shit-throwers. Meade has proven he doesn't need any validation in the form of response to keep tossing his feces. This place continues to go to shit until the moderators take action. Clearly joyce would rather play on Facebook. Traffic is traffic I guess.

Come on, people have been banned from here. You know they have. I'm not playing any card. I haven't been banned. I don't think I've even had anything deleted. I was just making an observation.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Welcome to the club.

I feel honored. Where do I pick up my t-shirt?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 pm

jjoyce wrote:The idea that you always need to respond to the Heckerls to somehow keep this board's image up for passersby is ludicrous on its face.

Yeah, that's what's ludicrous here.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Come on, people have been banned from here.

I can only think of one in the past year or so. It's so rare it's not relevant to the conversation. More people should be banned even if it ends up being me at some point. A strongly moderated board with well laid out rules would be a million times better than what this has become. But again Joyce has made it clear, clicks matter, content doesn't.

I participate in several well moderated boards. Trolls don't last 2 hours.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:26 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I participate in several well moderated boards. Trolls don't last 2 hours.

I have to say... I know you are a member of The Gear Page, too. For the first time, I truly appreciate the iron fist over there.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I actually had no problem with that, I'm just saying that you seem to have some double standards. I've also seen you egg these people on as well, so save us the lecture.

You're absolutely right. I value some people's contributions more than others. Some people are better writers, funnier, more thought provoking and better for the site than others. Some might argue that I should simply make cuts based on my own subjective evaluation of quality. But that would miss the blind-squirrel-finds-nut brilliance that often surfaces here.

Yes, I've egged them on and sometimes I regret it. That doesn't diminish the truth of what I wrote above.

What totally befuddles me is how bent out of shape some people get when their totally anonymous username catches shit for a stupid post. The reason for the stupid post in the first place is because you post anonymously and don't care to be held responsible for what you write here! Maybe the problem with the community is that you don't have enough invested in it.

At least Meade's actions here can have real-life consequences. Are you as invested as he is in the community when viewed from that perspective?

The truth about trolls: Those of you who squawk loudest about double standards, etc., show up for the trolls. You like feeding as much as they like trolling. The "other boards I belong to" argument doesn't carry much weight with me. Unless those boards are run by newspapers that specifically and actively ask for feedback, it's not relevant.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:40 pm

At least Meade's actions here can have real-life consequences. Are you as invested as he is in the community when viewed from that perspective?

Meade's only invested in shitting on this place and you know it. You put up with it out of fear of retaliation from his powerful significant other who for some reason can't come up in any conversation.
You're absolutely right. I value some people's contributions more than others. Some people are better writers, funnier, more thought provoking and better for the site than others. Some might argue that I should simply make cuts based on my own subjective evaluation of quality.

Sorry. I love Mean Scenester but there's nothing thought provoking about it. You value you it because of a real world friendship. If random-user-name wrote that shit you wouldn't hold it in such high esteem. No one wants you to make cuts based on subjective evaluation of quality. We want cuts made based on a laid out set of rules. What rules? I'm sure we could do your job for you and come up with a list. Combative, personal insults should be banned. Off-topic nonsense intended to threadjack should be banned. Maybe you need a rule against consecutive posts in a thread. Considering how very little you care about the board these days what would be the harm in giving it a try. We've been using your free-market approach for years now and you can see what the forum has devolved to.

On second thought maybe those dissatisfied with this forum should find someplace else to post... Might just force the change that needs to happen here.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Sorry, fist, but obvious off-topic threadjacks are what this board was built on, no question about it. I know for a fact it's why a lot of people come here. It's basically the entirety of hype exchange.

I've seen your so-called "well laid out rules." Most don't apply here and I'd spend all my time explaining why this guy's F-word was fine, but that guy's F-word was not. If I wanted to do that, I'd become a middle school guidance counselor.

And you can't deny it; if we outlawed trolling, you would no longer visit the site. Same goes for dozens of others.

And if I know Mean Scenester in real life, I don't know about his connection to forum. Friends tend not to tell me their usernames, so they can throw darts at me here with impunity.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:04 pm

And you can't deny it; if we outlawed trolling, you would no longer visit the site

I can and do deny it. The idea that I'm some primary troll feeder is ludicrous. I have done it, a hell of a lot less in the past two years. There are probably some you'd lose. Not me. Inaction is what is going to, and really already has if you look at my post frequency.
I've seen your so-called "well laid out rules." Most don't apply here and I'd spend all my time explaining why this guy's F-word was fine, but that guy's F-word was not.

Then make all use of "Fuck" against the rules. It's not like it adds anything to the fucking conversation.

And if I know Mean Scenester in real life

Is Meanie not Chuck Schick?

What is the upside to letting Cornbread shit on your board? What is the downside to banning?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 pm

jjoyce wrote:I value some people's contributions more than others. Some people are better writers, funnier, more thought provoking and better for the site than others.

Like this gem:

Mean Scenester wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

That's what you value on this forum?

*edited cause I managed to piss myself off with that one. Hopefully you still get the point.
Last edited by Stebben84 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote:What is the upside to letting Cornbread shit on your board? What is the downside to banning?

I don't know about the first, but the downside of banning is that jason has to work too hard.

Oh, and thanks Stebben. Thanks loads.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:38 pm

It's really hard to take anything you say seriously when you engage in the exact same kind of mischaracterization and trolling behavior you accuse others of.

If anyone has an actual proposal here substantially different from "ban the guys I don't like," I'm all ears.

The work point is totally valid. What do you think would be a good amount of time and money to spend administering fist's "well laid out rules" (which I've still never seen work on a board at al similar to this one)? What about on weekends? How many additional staffers would be necessary? Are you familiar with the term profitable?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com