MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Adam Powell on the state of online community

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Adam Powell on the state of online community

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Adam Powell wrote:One time payment. What's it worth to you?

I would pay $100 American.

But only on the condition that we do a REBOOT.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 pm

bdog wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:There were only three forons posting in the meaningless threads about new accounts. Two were identified by sno. You were the other one. Maybe you were just playing toadie to the other two, as you are wont to do when you "welcomed" those sockpuppets.

There were at least 4 Henry. You posted in my "Welcome DixieMilano" thread (that I created several months ago btw).

Are you my toadie now?

Yes I posted, asking you what was your point. You said you had no point. Maybe you can now explain your "welcome" to the recently created sockpuppets.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:Somewhere on the internet is a site where these types all get together and dream up new ways to wreck other people's conversations, and on that site a person posted "make a whole bunch of new accounts so you can be ready if they institute a thumbs-up/down system."

I'm trying to picture the motivation it would take to first create an army of accounts and then, when the time is right, log in to each one individually, navigate to the thread, click the thumby, then log out and do the same thing with the next sock. Enough times to flip the outcome no matter how many of the enemy was voting.

That's one hell of a lot of motivation. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen or even that it's unlikely. I'm just impressed at the amount of time and effort that person is willing to spend on something that could backfire completely if the other side did the same thing. Because I think there's still more forons than energy creatures.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
bdog wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:There were only three forons posting in the meaningless threads about new accounts. Two were identified by sno. You were the other one. Maybe you were just playing toadie to the other two, as you are wont to do when you "welcomed" those sockpuppets.

There were at least 4 Henry. You posted in my "Welcome DixieMilano" thread (that I created several months ago btw).

Are you my toadie now?

Yes I posted, asking you what was your point. You said you had no point. Maybe you can now explain your "welcome" to the recently created sockpuppets.

What recently created sockpuppets did I welcome???? LINK PLEASE.

I created the DixieMilano thread in October 2011. Hardly recent. And as far as I know Dixie never posted. Kind of defeats the purpose of creating a sockpuppet doesn't it?

So I ask you once again Henry Vilas, WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Get a room, dawg.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby amused2death » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Over the past few weeks of being consistently back on the forum i see little difference between the posting styles of Meade and Henry Vilas, as well as cornbread and johnnygothispen. Except for ideology of course. So which ones are the so called trolls and which are the troll feeders?
amused2death

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 pm

In Meade and bdog's defense, in the inane thread where they welcome new members they may simply be pulling the names off the bottom of the page where it tells you the handle of the newest member.

Of course, that doesn't make Meade any less of a moron or bdog any less of his bitch, but I see no reason to believe that each and every new member is one of Meade's sockpuppets.

He's got his hands full with Cornholio. He's swamped.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:11 am

Do we ordinarily get that many new accounts all at once?

I don't know -- I never paid attention to that feature before.

I agree logging in to one after another to do the thumby thing would be inefficient, but some people's choice of how to spend their time (or their life) around here has been questionable all along.

Me, I think I'll do a Firefox update now and watch that little orange line move while it downloads.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 am

pjbogart wrote:In Meade and bdog's defense, in the inane thread where they welcome new members they may simply be pulling the names off the bottom of the page where it tells you the handle of the newest member.

Where "they" welcome new members? Show me where I welcomed a new member outside of the very old DixieMilano thread.

Ya think Meade might be pulling names off the bottom of the page? He's only been cutting and pasting that in to every post!

Nice work Columbo.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 am

snoqueen wrote:?..some people's choice of how to spend their time (or their life) around here has been questionable all along.

Don't be so hard on Henry. Once you retire you might post here all day too.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:16 am

rabble wrote:Get a room, dawg.

Yes, this thread is way off track. But...

- Henry started it.

- I've been the only one to actually respond to the OP's last post.

I would love to play nice but there's a small group here that won't stand for it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 am

bdog wrote:
rabble wrote:Get a room, dawg.

Yes, this thread is way off track. But...

- Henry started it.

- I've been the only one to actually respond to the OP's last post.

I would love to play nice but there's a small group here that won't stand for it.

Oh, you poor little fella. I had no idea things were so hard for you. All those times you chastised others for doing the same thing made me think you were above all that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am

bdog wrote:
snoqueen wrote:?..some people's choice of how to spend their time (or their life) around here has been questionable all along.

Don't be so hard on Henry. Once you retire you might post here all day too.

So you're saying that you are retired? Congratulations.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 am

Is it just me, or have people here been much more friendly, civil, and entertaining in the last few weeks?
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:04 am

More like the last week or so. Roughly about the time we went gluten free.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com