MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Adam Powell on the state of online community

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Adam Powell on the state of online community

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Jason, just out of curiosity, do you really believe that Meade and Cornbread are different people?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 pm

pj, just out of curiosity, do you really believe that fluoridation was NOT designed by the military–industrial complex to protect the U.S. atomic weapons program from litigation?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:51 am

pjbogart wrote:Jason, just out of curiosity, do you really believe that Meade and Cornbread are different people?

That would be maybe the most pathetic thing I've ever witnessed here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 am

I don't think Meade is capable of the consistent style change necessary to keep up the charade. It's extremely difficult to do even just for a few lines.

Frank Herbert was amazing at it. He wrote tarzan just like Doyle. He did a Doc Savage too but that was probably easier since that one had three or four authors. But he's the only one I know of. There's a long list of accomplished authors who wrote Conan stories and none of them came close to Howard.

But I digress. Meade can't write in two styles.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 am

Good writers can switch styles with ease.

The Stephen King/Peter Straub collaborations THE TALISMAN and BLACK HOUSE (set in Wisconsin) are a fascinating document of highly skilled writers imitating each other with the goal of creating a seamless narrative voice. If it sounds like King, it's likely Straub, and vice versa.

Related: I'm reading the vexing AMERICAN GODS (also set largely in Wisconsin), wherein Neil Gaiman shamelessly apes King. He has his own thing going on stylistically, but the descriptions of the protagonist's introduction to a small town are eerily King-like, possibly even an homage.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:37 am

I don't think Meade is capable of the consistent style change necessary to keep up the charade. It's extremely difficult to do even just for a few lines.

But the Cornbread account got written in not just two but a whole handful of different styles: a parody of some dyslexic dialect, a transcript of some radio ranter, someone fairly literate, and others. The overall effect was not fluency but disorder. I'm not going back to sort it out -- I decided if I can leave this entity behind I'll be a better, happier person. (And I bet it bounces back under another name, if it hasn't already.)

Close reading can very often pick up stylistic constants even when the writer thinks s/he's disguising herself. It takes a real pro to consistently adopt other styles and use them fluently. For that reason alone, I don't think Meade wrote Cornbread on a consistent basis. He's not a professional writer as far as we know, and using his own account he's a run-of-the-mill one.

I used to edit professional papers for the UW long ago, and I've seen a lot of writing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:01 am

rabble wrote:Frank Herbert was amazing at it. He wrote tarzan just like Doyle.

I am sure that E.R. Burroughs would not be impressed.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 am

rabble wrote:But I digress. Meade can't write in two styles.

True, but at least Meade doesn't digress in his writing.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:41 am

Adam Powell wrote:Good writers can switch styles with ease.

The Stephen King/Peter Straub collaborations THE TALISMAN and BLACK HOUSE (set in Wisconsin) are a fascinating document of highly skilled writers imitating each other with the goal of creating a seamless narrative voice. If it sounds like King, it's likely Straub, and vice versa.

I disagree but don't know which passages were indeed written by which authors. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were imitating each other successfully, they're both good. And the change of style is more immediately apparent in the talisman than Black House.
Meade wrote:True, but at least Meade doesn't digress in his writing.

Yeah. Right.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:48 am

OFF-TOPIC
Galoot wrote:

And Herbert would be surprised to hear it, having never penned a Tarzan novel (to my knowledge, anyway). Rabble, do you mean to reference Robert Jordan writing in Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian oeuvre?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:55 am

TheBookPolice wrote:OFF-TOPIC
Galoot wrote:

And Herbert would be surprised to hear it, having never penned a Tarzan novel (to my knowledge, anyway). Rabble, do you mean to reference Robert Jordan writing in Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian oeuvre?

No. I meant to type burroughs while thinking of Sherlock Holmes and left out the whole paragraph about other people's attempt to duplicate him.

And it was Philip José Farmer I was thinking of, not Herbert. My face is red.

He wrote a Tarzan and a Doc Savage and put them together in one of those upside down double novels, long long ago. He also wrote Venus on the Halfshell as Kilgore Trout. If you find it, the picture of kilgore on the back is him in a fake beard and hat.

The list of people who wrote Conan books is like double digits if I remember right.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I didn't care that much for Black House, but it never ceases to amaze me that no one has bothered to make "The Talisman" into a movie. For all of the terrible movies they've made out of Stephen King's most mediocre books and short stories, "The Talisman" has blockbuster written all over it. Shit, it even has werewolves!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:03 pm

christopher_robin wrote:And your behavior in this thread is childish. Do you always behave like this on the forum? How about in real life?

You strike me as a real loser. Why don't you go play somewhere that's more on your level, like Free Republic or 4chan?

christopher_robin wrote:By the way, I notice that no one here likes you. I think I know why: you contribute nothing of substance, you have no interesting ideas, you are inchoherent and obviously not very bright, you have a bad attitude, you just hang around and piss all over any actual conversations, and when called on your behavior you don't even have a witty comeback.

You are a loser. Go away. You are not wanted here. You're a dog on a leash and a pig in a pen. Find another online community to stink up. This one is done with you.

bumped as a little reminder to our returning annoyance
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:11 pm

I wouldn't call adam christopher_robin powell an annoyance.

Really more like a prick.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Neade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 am

Neade

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com