MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Overhaul

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Overhaul

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:15 am

So I won't go as far as to say I'm one of the old hats around the forum, but I have enough experience here to realize the forum is slowly but surely bleeding itself dry. The discussions here (I’m looking at you Politics) have well –ahem, devolved. Its the fate of most discussion boards on the interwebs and so not that surprising.

However, I do believe since the Isthmus is a local sounding board The Daily Page Forum is definitely worth saving. I don't want to bitch without a suggestion so here's mine. Its a scaled down version a Wikipedia/reddit model and works like this.

When a new thread is created, the author of the thread is its moderator and has the ability to modify, edit, delete, and censor all content contained in the thread.

Here's what I hope it would accomplish. When content is submitted the thread’s author can control the discussion however they see fit. In an ideal world, replies that contain thoughtful responses that are on topic (even the ones in opposition) would stick in order to further the discourse without the bullshit trolling and baiting. The users who sole purpose around here is to incite conflict would tucker themselves out after repeatedly being zapped.

There are drawbacks, people who will abuse their “power,” and try to game the system, but I’m open to discussing those flaws. And to be honest, I don’t know of a forum that allows it users this kind of control –so maybe its not possible.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Overhaul

Postby Peanutbutter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:20 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Has anyone here registered to vote recently?

Quite a few liberals on this forum were bragging about registering several times for the last election, so there is no doubt that they know the process pretty well.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 am

So someone, say a certain baked good, could start a thread, and edit, modify or delete any response that disagreed with him?

Seems like a really bad idea. It won't do anything to actually promote discussion, just keep people from responding to threads. The ignore tool already works just fine if you find a poster to be a nuisance or idiotic.

The only system I've seen that had any measurable effect on poster behavior was a Karma system that allowed you to rate comments up or down, effecting a running score for the poster. Users could then filter based on Karma levels to control how much stupidity they had to deal with. Someone who was rated down a lot, could conceivably have posts that start out not shown to anyone with filters on.

Of course that type of system has plenty of room for abuse as well, and I've only seen it work when moderators were active too.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:So someone, say a certain baked good, could start a thread, and edit, modify or delete any response that disagreed with him?

Well, I think that would be almost every response so the thread would die.

I kind of like the idea and for myself, I wouldn't delete opposite viewpoints, I would just delete bullshit spamming.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am

My main objection would be that since I persist in holding a day job, I don't usually have the time to invest in moderating anything. Hit and run is the only posting strategy I can employ. Other than that, though, it might be worth a try. I think it would dramatically decrease the number of posters, which, depending on who drops out, might or might not be a good thing. Remember the spectre of unintended consequences.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:So someone, say a certain baked good, could start a thread, and edit, modify or delete any response that disagreed with him?

Seems like a really bad idea. It won't do anything to actually promote discussion, just keep people from responding to threads. The ignore tool already works just fine if you find a poster to be a nuisance or idiotic.

I think that's going to be everyone's gut reaction to this suggestion, so I'll try to address my thought process.

If a poster deletes replies, there's no way for them to move up the chain on the Forum Tab on the home page. The thread basically buries itself. In theory, the cream rises. I don't see our current crop of trolls hanging around much for that kind of circle-jerk. Who knows, I could be wrong.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:11 am

scratch wrote:Remember the spectre of unintended consequences.

True Dat. Suggestions?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 am

There could be some indicator of how many posts were deleted. That could make people less likely to read a gamed thread. Also, one could read the thread and start to see the circle jerk and not post.

I would also say that 90% of the time, it's the political threads that get shit on. I don't think this feature would be used for many other threads, except when someone is being a complete douche bag. In that instance I really think they need to be banned. I could be wrong.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:I think that's going to be everyone's gut reaction to this suggestion, so I'll try to address my thought process.

If a poster deletes replies, there's no way for them to move up the chain on the Forum Tab on the home page. The thread basically buries itself. In theory, the cream rises. I don't see our current crop of trolls hanging around much for that kind of circle-jerk. Who knows, I could be wrong.

-Dan Motor

I still see a few issues:
1) It removes any consistency in thread content. Not everyone will moderate their threads in the same manner (if at all). Henry would have to start tracking how each poster moderates to know if he should bother telling Meade to fuck off or if Meade's post is just going to go away anyhow.

2) I'm not really sold on the idea the going off topic is bad. How often in every day conversations (outside of work) do you stick with the same topic for the whole length of your chat?

3) If its is actually abusive posts (I'm using this term exceedingly broadly), there is an ignore feature for a reason. Most of the posts under that category are coming from the same people.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm

I actually think the ignore option works pretty well. If you have a certain baked good and a certain thing to spread on baked goods banned, a lot of times the remainder of the discussion is surprisingly intact. That says a lot for the ability of the remainder of the forum to focus.

Don't even suggest "more moderation." I have no idea why, but they've decided to abandon that function. Wish I knew what was up -- I've got a feeling there's a story we aren't hearing, possibly one involving legal intimidation. ???
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:42 pm

snoqueen wrote:Don't even suggest "more moderation." I have no idea why, but they've decided to abandon that function. Wish I knew what was up -- I've got a feeling there's a story we aren't hearing, possibly one involving legal intimidation. ???

Possibly emanating from a spooky house? Perhaps even an Alt-house? Or more likely an outhouse?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com