MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The mobile exclusion zone

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

The mobile exclusion zone

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Look, please be considerate of those of us who do not consider the iPad a mobile device. It's more like an almost laptop that runs with iOS. So I do not like the option to view the desktop version of the site increasingly hard to find.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The mobile exclusion zone

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 am

Could admin offer an explaination as to why I experienced REPEATED, and unresolved until now, re-direction to a twitter log in page when trying to get to TDP this evening?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:25 am

Me, too. I finally gave up.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 am

Me three.

Pissed me off so much I tried a second computer -- it did the same thing -- and I gave up too. Is this how you treat your readers, or is something/someone else to blame?

And the Twitter log in page looked real but was dead. You couldn't enter anything in the blanks.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:08 am

The Twitter page worked to redirect you to Twitter if you were already logged in on that computer or device. And I got it to stop redirecting me after two tries. Just hit Stop on the web browser after I landed on thedailypage.com and all was well. You guys are testy.

If I had to guess -- and it's just a guess -- I'd say that there was some free range script somewhere on the site that was related to the Obama liveblog. Isthmus imports a lot of Twitter content for those deals, and I could see a lone bad line redirecting all traffic.

"Is this how you treat your readers," sno? Really? It was an inconvenience, but does it really merit this level of indignation?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:19 am

TheBookPolice wrote:"Is this how you treat your readers," sno? Really? It was an inconvenience, but does it really merit this level of indignation?

Hey, blue on blue, guys. Hold your friendly fire.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 am

Isthmus unsubscribed from some ad service recently after complaints supported by screen shots from here (the forum). Conceivably the board admin might want to do so again, since it's in their best interests to hang on to readers. That might go over the heads of some, those with no working appreciation of the notion small businesses rely on customer satisfaction.

I wasn't logged in to Twitter, since I don't have a Twitter account. I'll try the stop thing next time, though -- useful workaround. I didn't really want to leave the forum page, but as long as Twitter kept popping up what else was I -- and the others with the same experience -- going to do?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:14 pm

The short answer is we got hacked via our ad server. Started getting a couple reports in the morning, thought we had it fixed. Problems cropped up late afternoon and thought we fixed it again. Another few problems cropped up in the late evening and we dealt with that.

I believe we've nailed it down and I'm sorry for any inconvenience or frustration it caused.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm

It's a good thing people didn't jump to conclusions before you posted that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It's a good thing people didn't jump to conclusions before you posted that.

No one on TDPF would ever jump to conclusions. We don't have to jump--that's where we start.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:The short answer is we got hacked via our ad server.

Symantec was complaining of an infection attempt yesterday each time I accessed the main page. Those who got re-directed may want to ensure everything is patched and an additional malware scan run.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com