MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

De-registering from TDPF question

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

De-registering from TDPF question

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

I don't remember these specific terms when I first registered on TDPF but, reading over them now, I can no longer agree to them:

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” has the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromized.

I've emboldened the specific language I object to.

Can anyone tell be what I need to do change my "agreement" to "not-agreement"? Thanks.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: De-registering from TDPF question

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 am

It's called deleting your account.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:17 am

Send an email to the Mods, and they'll delete your account.

Then again there's always the option of whining on the forum itself like a little bitch as a public cry for attention.....that might work too.

Nice knowing you Meade. Though I suspect Meade's online hara-kiri will happen on a time frame similar to Segway Jeremy's death --- so, I won't hold my breath.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 am

I value all comments made in good faith. I love different points of view and even edgy modes expression. What we delete are bad faith comments, comments that we believe have the ulterior motive of destroying the conversation and driving people away from this forum.

Sounds like we should adopt THIS policy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 am

A quick search using fisti's quote produces this gem:
Meade wanted us to delete DCT's comment, but I argued with him about the proper meaning of our key policy term "bad faith," and I was adamant that what we will delete is only the commenter who we believe hates this blog and is out to wreck it by undermining the conversation and driving people away. I'm not about saving readers from having to be smart about detecting insincerity and sarcasm. Admittedly, I don't know when someone has crossed my "bad faith" line, but that is the line.

huh
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:33 pm

I obviously have not been successful "de-registering" from TDPF. Could someone who has help our moderate new media acquaintance (for he IS...) out?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 pm

At the risk of being overly-literal and/or pathetically gullible, I can't find any option where a forum member can unsubscribe from the forum.

Obviously, there's the leaving and not coming back solution. That's what I recommend to the dissatisfied.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I suspect admin would kindly deactivate a user, if requested.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:12 pm

One could always go back and delete previous posts and then quitely depart. Others have existing posting, usually in drama queen style... and then come back under another name. Many things are possible. Freedom reigns.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Or he could, you know, stop whining and suck it up. It's not like the terms of use have any real effect in a system like this, after all. Maybe he could find a lawyer somewhere to explain that to him.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm

It is easy to "de-register". There is an option for changing your password, isn't there? Enter a random string of letters and numbers into a text editor, and without looking very closely at them, copy and paste them into both fields for changing your password.

Log out, and you won't be able to log back in without asking Jason to send you your new password. Problem solved. In many many ways, the problem is solved...
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 pm

No one agrees with me that the TDPF terms of use needs work - if only to get words like "orientated" and "compromized" corrected? I realize it's legal boilerplate but shouldn't that make it even more important to The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin and phpBB to use proper language in their terms of use agreement?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:Obviously, there's the leaving and not coming back solution. That's what I recommend to the dissatisfied.

It's also perfectly consistent with the terms of use as published on the site:
By accessing “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin”, “http://www.thedailypage.com/forum”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Meade wrote:No one agrees with me
You're catching on!
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 pm

mrak wrote:
By accessing “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin”, “http://www.thedailypage.com/forum”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “The Daily Page | Madison, Wisconsin” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Ouch. You would think newspaper makers would be at least marginally literate.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com