MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Talking ads on TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Talking ads on TDPF

Postby Dairylander » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 am

I'm con.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Re: Talking ads on TDPF

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am

I had five or six tabs open on the browser and clicked through all of 'em trying to find and kill it.

Imagine my surprise to find out I had to scroll to the bottom of the Isthmus page to find out where it was.

I never found out who was advertising what, but it sure didn't put me in a buying mood.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 pm

My take on talking ads: shut the fuck up. I also hate those ads that roll down, pushing the content out of site. Also anything that gets bigger, or makes noise, or winks when I accidentally mouse over it.

Needless to say, no one ever invites me to marketing focus groups. But that's OK--I hate stale ham sandwiches, too.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 am

I keep the speaker turned off unless I'm listening to something on purpose, and I keep the browser not-full-size so I can push blinking and flashing ads off the side of the screen where I can't see them. Unfortunately I don't have a workaround for those things that drop down and cover what I'm reading. Usually the solution is to go to a different web page.

I don't see why focus groups can't get this across to advertisers. Perhaps they aren't asking the right questions? Hmmm.

Advertisements for things that might be interesting are part of the web viewing experience. Ads that just aggravate us are the reason we go up to our favorites bar and move on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 am

I've never seen these, but I do find it useful to keep browser plug-ins disabled. There are also Flash blockers that give you the option of selecting to run certain animations.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 am

We run google ads in remnant space on the site. It seems to be less and less a good fit. I apparently need to tune the hell out of the settings to keep from annoying readers, but I can't imagine how and where these ads are ever effective.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm

jjoyce wrote:We run google ads in remnant space on the site. It seems to be less and less a good fit. I apparently need to tune the hell out of the settings to keep from annoying readers, but I can't imagine how and where these ads are ever effective.

I feel for ya. There is a long-standing arms race between marketeers and the masses, with the former finding new ways to get the latter's attention, and the latter finding new reasons to ignore anything the former do.

I should say "a significant subset of marketeers." There are plenty of marketing people who don't think that any attention is good attention.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:30 pm

A quick peek behind the curtains: The lo-fi image ads ALWAYS perform better than the rich media ads.

See that Stoughton Opera House .gif with the three-pane animation? Significantly better results than the funky animations run by others. Granted, there's some appealing content, but I think people are actually turned off by those animations that take 30 seconds to get to the point.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm

jjoyce wrote: I think people are actually turned off by those animations that take 30 seconds to get to the point.

You just might be on to something there.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Any content that moves without the recipient's permission ... it deserves to die.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com