MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Top Ten All-Time Forons

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Top Ten All-Time Forons

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:The winners, along with Robin Shepard's picks, can be found here:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=38847

Thanks. I see it's been up for almost a week now already.
And I also see it's the #2 most popular article right now.

Follow-through I can do, but observant I ain't.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 am

Hey Wags, remember Foron Correspondent?
George Sanders. Decently fun ride.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

#2: Chuck Schick.

See, now we're fully into Forons for whom other Forons deliberately tuned in to read. Schick rants moved the needle here and influenced the broader discourse. At these lofty heights reside Forons that are mentioned by local politicians and minor celebrities.

"Ah, so you have that Forum on your website. I read it every day. What's the deal with Chuck Schick?"

That was a regular occurrence several years ago. Perhaps the most profane poster on the board was simultaneously beloved, imitated (but never duplicated) and pilloried. "How can you ban me but not Chuck?!?!" the idiots would wail after I terminated their accounts for being obscene misogynists or homophobes. "He does way worse than me!"

Uh, no. While the language might have been Rated R, the rants themselves were dagger sharp and well supported. And since we're all adults here, there's no real harm in working blue. Especially because the only people who ever really complained also happened to be insufferable donkeys who were obviously jealous.

Yes, I'm aware that Chuck Schick has likely inhabited other user names over the years, possibly a few today. But none of them match the output, quality and fire of Schick. In his honor, I proudly placed a New Recruits sticker on my lawn mower, which has likely earned me as much ridicule as admiration in my neighborhood.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Gratz, Meanie. Easily the most entertaining foron to pass through these many gates. Ned cowers in fear at the mere mention of The Schick. And I always dug "Underground Vulture", though it would have been better if Chuck dressed up like Minnie Pearl.

So who do we have left? Daisy? White Rabbit? Blunt? Jason already ticked off all of the original classics. We're not going to get one of those lame "the rest of you" finales, are we?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 pm

pjbogart wrote:Gratz, Meanie. Easily the most entertaining foron to pass through these many gates. Ned cowers in fear at the mere mention of The Schick. And I always dug "Underground Vulture", though it would have been better if Chuck dressed up like Minnie Pearl.

So who do we have left? Daisy? White Rabbit? Blunt? Jason already ticked off all of the original classics. We're not going to get one of those lame "the rest of you" finales, are we?

Well, you could just go the Rolling Stone route and make it Jerry Garcia or John Lennon. Or maybe we are all just in a snow globe that jjoyce is staring at.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 pm

pjbogart wrote:So who do we have left? Daisy? White Rabbit? Blunt? Jason already ticked off all of the original classics. We're not going to get one of those lame "the rest of you" finales, are we?

You.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:31 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
pjbogart wrote:So who do we have left? Daisy? White Rabbit? Blunt? Jason already ticked off all of the original classics. We're not going to get one of those lame "the rest of you" finales, are we?

You.

I don't think so. I thought maybe "the rest of you" or "the troll" would be a clever finale, but Jason's been pretty consistent in naming the old school posters. I'd say Daisy is the most likely #1, but honestly I'm not sure how many of the current posters even remember Daisy.

Meh, Jason chose to make the list, and admitted that it was his opinion only. Maybe after he announces his number one we should do a poll of the top ten to see how they score. I can pretty much guarantee that Kurt would supplant whoever Jason chooses.

I think that to keep the thread going, each member of the top ten should choose who they felt was left off. Not only will it give us an unofficial top twenty, but it will be interesting to see who the top ten choose as their "understudies". Does Ned admire Meade? Is Kurt a fan of Detritus? Enquiring minds want to know.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm a fan of pj, though I can't remember if Jason put you on the ten-list or not. He should have. On a good day you put time and thought into your posts and cut through the crap with skill and a degree of background knowledge, which shows without being show-off.

Now forget I said that.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:52 am

snoqueen wrote:I'm a fan of pj, though I can't remember if Jason put you on the ten-list or not. He should have. On a good day you put time and thought into your posts and cut through the crap with skill and a degree of background knowledge, which shows without being show-off.

Now forget I said that.

If you look at my posts you'll see that I rarely offer any actual information. I wait for you to offer the information, then I comment on it. I'm lazy, but I'm smart enough to recognize the difference between noise and information. I soak in the information and attempt to cancel out the noise.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:31 am

#1: Daisy

To date, nobody has moved the needle farther. And there's not even a question that no foron has actually influenced the wider discussion around Madison more than Daisy.

I remember sitting at the Weary with Daisy once and Chris Berge told him he should start a blog. He responded that he had Forum, which was much more interesting and provided him with a lot more feedback than a personal blog ever could. At the height of his powers (which coincided, I believe, with his unemployment), Daisy posted here dozens of times a day and often to great effect. He had a talent for getting people to talk about local politics from all sorts of angles. He could make a discussion of city council fashion feel smart and a discussion about inclusionary zoning feel fun.

Through his posts here, the guy convinced people that Dave Cieslewicz was making a serious run for mayor and allowed them to believe that he could beat Soglin. Did that influence the results? I think so. He was a fearless conversation starter on this board at a time (pre-Facebook) when it was unquestionably the city's most active and interesting social network.

I remember when everyone thought Daisy was a woman and I remember hearing some hilarious stories about the extent to which some people (whose names you know) went to try and ask "her" out. I believe he ended up being pals with most/all of them in real life. I remember logging in to check on the boards before bed on several occasions only to find that a virtually live discussion had erupted in the evening that was far more interesting than anything else going on. Some kind of troll would start in, get humiliated and bail. Little, if any, actual moderation was necessary.

Daisy and I were pals for a short time and he was one of those people who threw parties and invited people he had never met... and they came! He liked to point out people in real life and tell me their Forum handle. His kitchen was a Jenny Street version of that Playboy After Hours show, with politicians and musicians and artists and journalists and weirdos and establishment types arguing good naturedly about soccer and politics and music and food. He took delight in getting people together and seeing what happened and brought that spirit to Forum. He'd challenge antagonists to lighten up, and they actually would. He'd think two people should meet each other, and then actually introduce them. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd be able to crack Scott Walker's dull facade.

Dude lives god knows where these days, but to date nobody has been able to bring the energy he brought to this board, and who knows if he's been able to find an outlet capable of firing him up like this place could. Maybe it was a perfect time/place situation.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am

jjoyce wrote:And we arrive at El Ocho, a pick that will no doubt stir some resentment: Ned Flanders.

Our conservative friend can often be troll-like in demeanor. But he can also be hilarious and even helpful. Though he appears to reside in the Twin Cities, Flanders has a wealth of knowledge about Madison that he uses for both evil and good. Those who can't stand him have to at least acknowledge how skillfully he raises the ire of most fellow Forons.

So raise your glasses, or your middle fingers, and join me in saluting the eighth wonder of the Foron world: Ned Flanders.

Jason must be bubbling over with pride this morning.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 pm

O.J. wrote:So Jason must be bubbling over with pride this morning.

Jason is just trying to keep his financially struggling employer afloat by encouraging an orgy of trolling and troll-feeding.

Can you blame him for trying to keep Isthmus circling the drain and keeping him employed for a few more years? Imagine him trying to get a new job from anyone who's seen what a festering pile of shit he's made of TDP.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:46 pm

mrak wrote:
O.J. wrote:So Jason must be bubbling over with pride this morning.

Jason is just trying to keep his financially struggling employer afloat by encouraging an orgy of trolling and troll-feeding.

Can you blame him for trying to keep Isthmus circling the drain and keeping him employed for a few more years? Imagine him trying to get a new job from anyone who's seen what a festering pile of shit he's made of TDP.

Wow! dead on. DRINK!
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Sandi wrote:Wow! dead on. DRINK!

Why? Nobody mentioned Hitler yet, did they?

Oops.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Detritus wrote:
Sandi wrote:Wow! dead on. DRINK!

Why? Nobody mentioned Hitler yet, did they?

Oops.

No, but I like my Mr Boston brandy, and needed one. As good a reason as any.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com