MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

That new PETA ad on TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

That new PETA ad on TDPF

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:42 am

The claim from PETA:

http://www.peta.org/features/uw-madison-cruelty.aspx

For decades, countless cats have been imprisoned, cut into, and killed in cruel and useless "sound localization" experiments at the University of Wisconsin–Madison (UW).

The response from UW:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/21046

Allegations made today (Wednesday, Sept. 12) by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals about sound localization studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are unsubstantiated. At best, they are a gross misrepresentation of the research and the care and treatment provided to the animals in the study.

In case you were wondering. For me, PETA's done enough harm to their own credibility that I immediately and almost uniformly discount their claims as soon as I see their logo.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: That new PETA ad on TDPF

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 am

TheBookPolice wrote:In case you were wondering. For me, PETA's done enough harm to their own credibility that I immediately and almost uniformly discount their claims as soon as I see their logo.

That's my standard procedure as well. I am for the ethical treatment of animals, not ill-informed dolts who crave attention.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:13 am

Two words: sea kittens.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 am

Marvell wrote:Two words: sea kittens.

Great band name as well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 am

The Alliance for Animals is an alternative to PETA with a less-offensive style and some good people and initiatives:

http://allanimals.org/
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:43 am

That site is defintely less grating, more sympathetic -- but the primate issues pages are filled with people holding PETA-branded signs.

I'm against PETA's abuse of well-meaning local animal issues groups. Let the local groups be free!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 pm

At least they could have paired that kitty who got his top popped with a hot starlet for the photo shoot.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:45 pm

PETA is one of the few groups I feel comfortable with automatically believing the opposite of whatever they say.

Ned Flanders wrote:At least they could have paired that kitty who got his top popped with a hot starlet for the photo shoot.

Ned, you're slipping! You missed your own set-up:

Ned Flanders should have wrote:At least they could have paired that kitty who got his top popped with a hot starlet who popped her top for the photo shoot.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Damn! I've been
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:04 pm

All this ad makes we want to do is not visit TDPF. It is gross and disgusting. I don't even look at it so I had no idea what it was complaining about until I read the posts on this thread.

Honestly, I threw-up a little in my mouth the first time I saw it. I don't need to see it multiple times a day.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:25 pm

HawkHead wrote:Honestly, I threw-up a little in my mouth the first time I saw it. I don't need to see it multiple times a day.

I feel the same damn way about that Jersey Boys banner.

"We've repackaged a handful of oldies from disparate eras and wrapped a loose narrative around paper-thin characters for all walks of aging audiences of PBS donors who actually go out of their way to watch throwback doo-wop stars of old rehash their hits through tired, worn vocal chords during pledge week!"

</rabid threadjack>
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Say what you will about animal testing, there is an intellectual defense for it. (Not taking a stand, just stating what I see as true.)

Now, this:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/1 ... ?mobile=nc

Mary, a German Shepherd/Lab mix, was allegedly poisoned for months by her owner’s girlfriend, who kept a diary chronicling her joy at causing Mary extraordinary pain. Sean Janas, the woman in question, has been charged with animal abuse for routinely feeding the dog bleach, drain cleaner, and pills...

There is no intellectual defense for this. No one's life is better for this psychopath's actions. I'd love to see PETA show up at her arraignment, take a stand on strengthening the laws against domestic animal abuse, and work to get the federal government to take legislative action against breeding mills, and worry less about topics that easily veer away from "defense of animals," toward "betterment of humans." I don't think PETA has the collective intellectual chops to take on that conversation rationally.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:03 pm

HawkHead wrote:All this ad makes we want to do is not visit TDPF. It is gross and disgusting. I don't even look at it so I had no idea what it was complaining about until I read the posts on this thread.

Honestly, I threw-up a little in my mouth the first time I saw it. I don't need to see it multiple times a day.

So PETA's calculated use of shock value is effective, apparently.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Years ago, it was found that so many people were feeling sick and turning away from abuse photos like the cat one Peta has been running that most sensible animal-welfare organizations long ago ceased using them on pamphlets and ads. I don't know why Peta keeps running this thing -- I'd be interested to know if their donations or click counts have picked up since they started. Probably it works more to funnel those who want to help to other organizations, not Peta itself. That was why I posted the Alliance for Animals link earlier (they're concerned with research abuse). There are numerous other reputable organizations, shelters, and rescue outfits that work to help animals in different ways.

I like to support Heartland Farm, in Verona, which helps rescue farm animals from neglectful and abusive situations and runs programs to introduce children to farm animals as a way of teaching empathy and responsibility:

http://heartlandfarmsanctuary.org/
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:44 pm

jman111 wrote:
HawkHead wrote:All this ad makes we want to do is not visit TDPF. It is gross and disgusting. I don't even look at it so I had no idea what it was complaining about until I read the posts on this thread.

So PETA's calculated use of shock value is effective, apparently.

The shock value is effective; the response is not what they want.

I will visit TDPF less often. As a UW alumnus I will continue to support the University and go to sporting events. This ad will not affect my relationship to the UW or change my habits regarding the UW.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com