MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Local Chili Competitions & Secret Ingredients

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Slick Willy wrote:I don't use mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant or anything like that as I like to keep it pretty traditional.

Guess I'll never know.

*sigh

Anyone else whipping up chili for themselves who would want to make some extra for some $?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu May 02, 2013 5:46 pm

When I was in the trade we often had customers come in and ask to purchase soup by the quart or gallon. We usually just made up a price. Maybe that could work for you? (not the making up of a price, the buying in bulk from a restaurant).
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Slick Willy wrote:I don't use mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant or anything like that as I like to keep it pretty traditional.
Me, too. Which means I might possibly add a little squash, but I would never – ever – add any kind of meat.

My first taste of traditional chili was back in the 70s at the Del Rio in Ann Arbor. They were famous for their burgers and chili: good, solid, and cheap. But meat in the chili? "No, Sir."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 pm

john_titor wrote:When I was in the trade we often had customers come in and ask to purchase soup by the quart or gallon. We usually just made up a price. Maybe that could work for you? (not the making up of a price, the buying in bulk from a restaurant).

But what restaurant is making chili like what's described here?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun May 05, 2013 2:29 am

Chocolate. A square of unsweetened chocolate per gallon will do if you are working in muchos frijoles. It seems that a fishy note owing to said frijoles is calmed by the chocolate.

p.s. - I would recommend smoked paprika, but Penzeys screwed up the product I used to purchase from them (sniff their chipotle and smoked paprika powders side by side, you will understand).
Can anyone recommend a decent source of smoked paprika?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Mad Howler wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent source of smoked paprika?

Yes, I finally found some myself. It's at Woodman's, but not in their spice isle. There's an area in the corner of their produce section near the apples that has a ton of great spices in bags for reasonable prices (especially compared to Penzy's). There was smoked paprika, smoked cumin, chipotle powder, Mexican oregano, and a lot of other great stuff that you can't find many places. Check it out. I was impressed.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote:Yes, I finally found some myself. It's at Woodman's, but not in their spice isle. There's an area in the corner of their produce section near the apples that has a ton of great spices in bags for reasonable prices (especially compared to Penzy's). There was smoked paprika, smoked cumin, chipotle powder, Mexican oregano, and a lot of other great stuff that you can't find many places. Check it out. I was impressed.

Ah yes, right by the corn husks. The "ethnic" spice ghetto. Fuckin' Woodman's. Fuckin' segregationists.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote:Yes, I finally found some myself. It's at Woodman's, but not in their spice isle. There's an area in the corner of their produce section near the apples that has a ton of great spices in bags for reasonable prices (especially compared to Penzy's). There was smoked paprika, smoked cumin, chipotle powder, Mexican oregano, and a lot of other great stuff that you can't find many places. Check it out. I was impressed.

Thank you - I never thought to check that section of Woodman's. I buy chilies out of that corner often, but have been dissapointed in the past with its spice offerings. I will need to take a second look.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Fri May 10, 2013 12:47 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Ah yes, right by the corn husks. The "ethnic" spice ghetto. Fuckin' Woodman's. Fuckin' segregationists.

Mad Howler wrote:Thank you - I never thought to check that section of Woodman's. I buy chilies out of that corner often, but have been dissapointed in the past with its spice offerings. I will need to take a second look.

Be careful not to go where Mean Scenester is talking about, which is where all of the Mexican spices are in large bags near the potatoes. It's on the other side of the produce section near the apples in a corner and are in smaller bags. You'll know it when you see it. Can't remember the brand name, unfortunately.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 pm

RC, I think that I found it.
The product is better than what Penzeys currently offers.
I am greatful for your suggestion, but the thing is that I was looking for a product that is comprised of peppers slowly dried over smoke then powdered. Not paprika infused with "liquid smoke".
Penzeys used to produce the former, then stopped.

I have a growing number of people I know who are vegetarian, and I find this "spice" useful in adding depth of flavor in this context (as well as for my own needs).

I suppose I have the "freedom" to produce my own product, but it was easier to leave it to the "experts".

Such is the trajectory of things of this nature these days.

Too bad.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 am

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sat May 11, 2013 1:50 am

Mad Howler wrote:I think that I found it.
The product is better than what Penzeys currently offers.
I am greatful for your suggestion, but the thing is that I was looking for a product that is comprised of peppers slowly dried over smoke then powdered. Not paprika infused with "liquid smoke".
Penzeys used to produce the former, then stopped.

Does the stuff at Woodman's use liquid smoke? If so, I wouldn't use it for the same reason that I don't use MSG. I just assumed that all smoked spices were done the old fashioned way -- actually smoked with real wood smoke. That's what I love about chipotle peppers. Shoulda known better.

Too bad, indeed!
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 11, 2013 8:15 pm

AF:
Thanks! I am going to order some of this...
http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/spa ... ce#content

RC:
I believe the ingredient list stated - paprika and added smoke flavor. I chucked out the tag on the top of the bag. I am sorry about going on about this, but it is good to hear some share passion regarding this spice.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Seconding the spice house. They're selling real pimenton de la vera, and not just "spanish-style smoked paprika." Oak smoked nora peppers, finely ground. Once you've had it, there's no going back.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I took second in the Isthmus chili cookoff last fall (part of our United Way fundraiser week) and my secret ingredient was loose chorizo from the westside farmers market.

A friend took the gold in his Chicago nursery school coop's competition based on adhering to pointers in what I guess is some kind of legendary Washington Post article about competition chili. Here's what I gleaned:

- No beans in competition chili
- Tasters sample only a small custard cup, so go with serious peppers
- Get chili powder from a high quality spice place because the quality evens out in a large batch, no inconsistency in your game that way
- Meat quality is very important

He won four red-line Blackhawks tickets, so stakes was high.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues