MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What's your favorite pompous Chinese place?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Favorite Pompous Chinese Place?

Chin's
42%
Big Bowl
8%
P.F. Chang's
50%

Total votes : 12

What's your favorite pompous Chinese place?

Postby TAsunder » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:55 pm

So we have 2 Chin's and a Big Bowl, and P. F. Chang's is not too far if you live on the east side. They all look the same, more or less, they all look like they were in a restaurant version of 'queer eye for the straight guy', they all have similar dishes.

Which is your favorite?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:11 pm

Never been to Big Bowl, but I've been to Chin's, which was remarkably bland. Not looking to go back soon.

Chin's is actually nothing at all like Paul Fleming's abomination from Arizona. PF Chang's is "upscale" Asian, whatever that is. In my opinion, all the food tastes like perfume. Lettuce wraps aren't bad, but I've had better ones at other places.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:20 pm

Pompous?

Populist, perhaps.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:56 am

Where is this P.F. Changs of which you speak? I have two friends here at work that are always raving about this chain, I heard we were getting one but I don't know where.

Have only tried Big Bowl takeout, which I've reviewed elsewhere on this board. I will probably try Chin's soon as it's roughly in my (work) neighborhood.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:20 pm

I believe PF Chang's is at Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa. I've never been to that location, but from the ones I've been to (Scottsdale, SLC), it's not worth the trip.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donna Summer » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:39 pm

I ate at Chin's yesterday. Had the stir-fry veggie & chicken with peanut sauce. It was very good. I had the leftovers for breakfast this morning. More pricier than a local establishment though.
Donna Summer
Forum Addict

Postby HBK » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:45 pm

They are all chains - I don't think the greater Madison area really has any great chinese places anymore. But good lawd - this poll is like asking which is your favorite burger joint: McDonald's Burger King or Hardee's... Perhaps Pointless!
HBK
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:35 pm

big bowl closed here awhile ago. have they reopened in the area unbeknownst to me?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:32 am

i agree with HBK's post...Wong's Garden on Atwood is pretty consistant with good prices..always good service, either for take out or dine in.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:49 pm

depinmad wrote:big bowl closed here awhile ago. have they reopened in the area unbeknownst to me?

No, the thread was created before they closed, and resurrected after.

Word on the street is that a PF Chang's is coming to middleton, near Steak & Lube.

At the moment I agree, Wong's is probably my favorite. I haven't yet been to China Palace, though.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:10 pm

I dislike all of what Chin's offers, EXCEPT the thai peanut lo mein, which (when prepared well, which is about half the time) is delicious.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:10 pm

TAsunder wrote:Word on the street is that a PF Chang's is coming to middleton, near Steak & Lube.

It's more than word on the street. I've been to plan commission meetings where the design and signage were approved. There may even be a sign up where it's going in, right next to Quaker Steak.

I'd rather Big Bowl reopen than have a new PF Changs, but it is what it is.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues