MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

TJs question

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

TJs question

Postby cattyr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:26 pm

I was just looking at some old threads on e-gullet and saw Total (brand) Greek yogurt mentioned in conjunction with Trader Joes. Has anyone seen it? I have been longing to find it as all old-timers are painfully aware.

I don't post on e-gullet (yet) but love to lurk. Anyone else? I know skratty has been there!
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Okay, I just wrote this spiel about how much I hated the stuff they had at Willy St., only to realize upon googling that FAGE brand is apparently the stuff you're looking for. I'm pretty sure they have it at Whole Foods, too, both in the smaller containers with honey and the larger tubs.

I will say that while I am not intimately familiar with the ins and outs of "real" Greek yogurt, the TJ's brand is darn tasty. I thought the FAGE brand was way too tart and not very appealing at all. The TJ's brand is very smooth and creamy with just enough bite to make you notice.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

TJs question

Postby bikinchef » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:17 pm

All the TJs brand stuff is clearly the same products I have been buying for years. Take for instance, banana flavored vanilla yogurt at TJs. It is just Stoneyfield Farms Banilla Yogurt with their label, same product. Also, Rudi's bread, same product, their label. This is how they keep costs down. Whole Foods doesn't do this, they create their own product.
So what I am saying, is that wonderful Greek yogurt you speak of is probably a brand you have had before, just their label.

Did you know the family companay that owns TJs, owns Aldi? I understand Adli has wine too. The "top dog" of this privately held company that is based out Germany, is the top 5 of richest people in the world, how that sit with the Madison anti-big business scene?
bikinchef

Re: TJs question

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:04 pm

bikinchef wrote:All the TJs brand stuff is clearly the same products I have been buying for years.

In California they sell Alvarado Street bagels at Trader Joe's in Trader Joe bags. They are the exact same product - only the packaging is different.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:27 am

bikinchef wrote:All the TJs brand stuff is clearly the same products I have been buying for years. Take for instance, banana flavored vanilla yogurt at TJs. It is just Stoneyfield Farms Banilla Yogurt with their label, same product. Also, Rudi's bread, same product, their label. This is how they keep costs down. Whole Foods doesn't do this, they create their own product.
So what I am saying, is that wonderful Greek yogurt you speak of is probably a brand you have had before, just their label.

Did you know the family companay that owns TJs, owns Aldi? I understand Adli has wine too. The "top dog" of this privately held company that is based out Germany, is the top 5 of richest people in the world, how that sit with the Madison anti-big business scene?

You obviously missed pothead's (aka MBK v.2.0) troll thread about Aldi, Trader Joe's, and the Nazis. You would have felt right at home with the "howsyer conscience" chest jabbing atmosphere.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:28 am

bikinchef wrote:Did you know the family companay that owns TJs, owns Aldi? I understand Adli has wine too. The "top dog" of this privately held company that is based out Germany, is the top 5 of richest people in the world, how that sit with the Madison anti-big business scene?

Lefties don't want to hear about this when it's a store that they're interested in. Wal-Mart, of course, is a different story. They don't shop there; it's for the "little people". So it's open season on Wal-Mart
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:55 am

There's a difference between being anti-big business and anti-unethical-big business. It's lost on most conservatives. They think all big businesses are good, or if not, they think attacking an unethical big business is the same as attacking a neutral one.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 am

TAsunder wrote:There's a difference between being anti-big business and anti-unethical-big business. It's lost on most conservatives. They think all big businesses are good, or if not, they think attacking an unethical big business is the same as attacking a neutral one.

And what YOU don't understand is that Wal-Mart allows lower middle class people the opportunity to buy things they couldn't afford at other places and more necessities for the same dollar.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:12 am

Ned Flanders wrote:And what YOU don't understand is that Wal-Mart allows lower middle class people the opportunity to buy things they couldn't afford at other places and more necessities for the same dollar.

And what YOU will never understand is that businesses like Walmart that are run on the basis of profiting maximally by taking maximum advantage of already disadvantaged workers, sustain their market by sustaining the lower class.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:22 am

doddles wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:And what YOU don't understand is that Wal-Mart allows lower middle class people the opportunity to buy things they couldn't afford at other places and more necessities for the same dollar.

And what YOU will never understand is that businesses like Walmart that are run on the basis of profiting maximally by taking maximum advantage of already disadvantaged workers, sustain their market by sustaining the lower class.

Working at Wal-Mart isn't manditory, but they don't seem to have trouble attracting workers. Go figure.
Are you aware that Target employs some of the same pracitces as Wal-Mart? Where's the anger?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:26 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Are you aware that Target employs some of the same pracitces as Wal-Mart? Where's the anger?

Such as?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:23 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Are you aware that Target employs some of the same pracitces as Wal-Mart? Where's the anger?

Such as?

Low wages, no/poor insurance, caught hiring illegal aliens as janitors, cheap products from China...
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:

Such as?

Low wages, no/poor insurance, caught hiring illegal aliens as janitors, cheap products from China...

Link please. As I've told you everytime you bring up this red herring, my late partner worked for Target corp, they gave him regular raises, full insurance and paid out his life insurance to him when he was no longer able to work. So I say, your full o'shit.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:53 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Wal-Mart, of course, is a different story [...] it's for the "little people".

Wal-Mart is for leprechauns?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:56 pm

kurt_w wrote:Wal-Mart is for leprechauns?

I always thought that door was for the shopping carts.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues