MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Restaurant Chain Wars - Beyond

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:10 pm

Update;
Mimi's Cafe
http://www.mimiscafe.com/
One Chicagoland location. No Twin Cities or Wisconsin locations.

Ryans
http://www.ryans.com/
Nearest location in IL/IA.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mr.Punke » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:34 am

No mention of the Minnesota-based chain Grizzly's? They have locations in LaCrosse, Superior, and Eau Claire, but none down here. Great cheese curds.

http://www.grizzlysgrill.com/

Also, I swore that Oakwood Mall in Eau Claire had a Ruby Tuesday. Looks like it closed and was replaced with a TGI Friday's.
Mr.Punke

Postby MadMind » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:13 am

Mr.Punke wrote:Also, I swore that Oakwood Mall in Eau Claire had a Ruby Tuesday. Looks like it closed and was replaced with a TGI Friday's.

I've never seen any Wisconsin locations on their website location-finder, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility.
I've said this before I'll say it again, I don't know why they often run Ruby Tuesday and Sonic Drive-Thru commercials on Madison TV Stations.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Burn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 am

There is a Ruby Tuesday in Rockford, IL. IMO, you're not missing out on much. On a 10 scale, food is a 5. Atmosphere is a 5. Everything is a 5. Very middle of the road. Rockford would probably give up a burger place such as RT in a trade for a Ponderosa. They closed up in Rockford years ago. Never really heard why- a couple locations were always packed.
Burn

Postby Mr.Punke » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:01 am

MadMind wrote: I've said this before I'll say it again, I don't know why they often run Ruby Tuesday and Sonic Drive-Thru commercials on Madison TV Stations.

It's probably cheaper to buy commercial time nationwide for CBS or FOX stations (for instance during the first commerical break of American Idol) than to pay each market individually.
Mr.Punke

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:09 am

One of these days I've gotta get back to east towne mall and hit the York Steak House.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Steak_House
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:48 am

Update;
Thanks to White Rabbit
white_rabbit wrote:I think Madison needs a Hamburger Mary's. The closest location is Chicago, although one is opening in Minneapolis.

With a Minneapolis (Mall of America) location and numerous Chicagoland locations, another that should've been on that list is California based Johnny Rockets. A 1950s-style hamburger chain.
But wait! According to http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=553346 , a 1,900-square-foot Johnny Rockets has been Ok'd to be built between the food court and Sears at Brookfield Square.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:14 am

Mr.Punke wrote:
MadMind wrote: I've said this before I'll say it again, I don't know why they often run Ruby Tuesday and Sonic Drive-Thru commercials on Madison TV Stations.

It's probably cheaper to buy commercial time nationwide for CBS or FOX stations (for instance during the first commerical break of American Idol) than to pay each market individually.

One of the reasons it bugs me is because Sonic's breakfast sandwiches look good and Sonic serves their full menu all day. For that reason and that reason alone I'd patronize their establishment.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Update;
Thanks to TheBookPolice

PB Loco Cafe has entered the Wisconsin marketplace with one Appleton location near the north entrance of the Fox River Mall.
The only other upper-midwest location is in the Mall of America.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu May 17, 2007 12:43 am

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:37 pm

Update;
Bahama Breeze
One suburban Chicago location in Schaumburg, no Wisconsin (or Twin Cities) locations.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:48 pm

I had a hankering for a Big Boy slim jim the other day so I pulled up their corporate website and I couldn't believe there are no longer any locations in Wisconsin.

I miss Big Boy.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Has there ever been a Whataburger or Wienerschnitzel in Madison? There's a car wash on Verona Rd. that looks an awful lot like it could have been one of those two at one time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Has there ever been a Whataburger or Wienerschnitzel in Madison?

Never heard of Wienerschnitzel, but saw a lot of Whataburger's down in Texas, but I doubt there was ever one in Madison. But I would really dig a Sonic in Madison.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:33 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Has there ever been a Whataburger or Wienerschnitzel in Madison?

Never heard of Wienerschnitzel, but saw a lot of Whataburger's down in Texas, but I doubt there was ever one in Madison. But I would really dig a Sonic in Madison.

If you've ever driven on the SPI in Corpus Christi, you know just how many of one chain resto can be on a single thoroughfare. Whataburger is headquartered there.

Wienerschnitzel is a West Coast/Southwest chain. Same kind of A-frame buildings are often used between the two.

Sonic is pretty tasty. I'd be happy with one around these parts, too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues