MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Gorilla cookies

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Gorilla cookies

Postby bikinchef » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:06 am

Does anyone remember the Gorilla cookies from years ago?
If have some memories, share them. What was soo great about this cookie?
bikinchef

Postby lysander » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:13 am

Are you talking about these cookies? Or do you mean those cookies? Well, I can only help with the latter.

[quote="Genie"]Here's something about those cookies:

[quote]
WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL 85
Guerrilla cookies

Hereâ??s what guerrilla cookies were made of,
at least in part: Honey, eggs, vanilla, butter,
baking soda, walnuts, sunflower seeds, organic
raisins, organic hemp nuts, molasses, canola
oil, cracked oats, coconut, rolled oats, pastry
flour and much more.

The cookies were sold in Madison from a
cart on campus, and also at area co-ops, and
are remembered fondly by those who snarfed
them between classes, or made a meal out of
a guerrilla cookie and a container of yogurt.

Wrote the State Journalâ??s George
Hesselberg: â??The GC is cloaked in the sort of
fuzzy mystery that fogs recountings of virtually
everything that happened in Madison in the
1960s and 1970s. Rare was the UW-Madison
student backpack in 1969 that did not have a
pocket lined with the crumbs of a guerrilla
cookie.â?Â
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:34 pm

Not that I really expect much from the Wisconsin State Journal in terms of fact, but this is simply wrong:

"The cookie was started by a UW grad student, and the recipe left Madison when she did. It returned in 2004, with the proviso it only be sold at the Mifflin Co-op. But shortly after, the recipe was lost when the Co-op worker who had it left the business. Fuzzy mystery indeed."

A more 'fuzzy mystery' is why the fuck anyone reads the WSJ for anything other than the sports coverage.

Here's the scoop - towards the end of when I was a member of the Nature's Bakery Collective we were approached by the Mifflin Street Coop to develop and produce a 'Gorilla Cookie,' which would be sold as part of their 20th anniversary celebration. Our marketing and production coordinators spent several months in painstaking investigation, and while finding a single consensus on what, exactly, the historical 'gorilla cookie' contained (the one consistent ingredient seemed to be coconut, although there were even some people we talked to who insisted that no coconuts were harmed in the production of this quasi-mythical baked good) proved futile, they did finally piece together a recipee that contained those ingredients that most people agreed were in the 'classic gorilla.' We added a few additional ingredients to give it that 'contempo' feel (i.e. hemp seeds), and christened it the 'Gorilla 2K.'

As the name would suggest, that was in 1999. Hesselberg was only a half-decade off. Plus, if he likes, he could wander down to Nature's Bakery to tell them that the 'gorilla cookie' recipee was 'lost when the Co-op worker who had it left the business." That's presumably going to be news to them, since the last time I was in there they were still selling them from their Willy Street store front.

Honestly, this kind of worthless, fact-free blathering is sort of comical in The Daily Cardinal. In the pages of our city's 'leading newspaper' it's really just sad.
Last edited by Marvell on Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:09 pm

The originals would not have contained hemp nut, as the shelling machinery was not invented until ythe mid '90s.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:17 pm

bmasel wrote:The originals would not have contained hemp nut, as the shelling machinery was not invented until ythe mid '90s.

Hence the 'contempo' feel.

C'mon, ben - try to keep up here!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:57 pm

This is a good reason for archives; we've had this asked and answered a few times.

Couldn't find the original but here's the most recent.
Now copy and paste the damn recipe and stick on your fridge.
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewt ... ies#240900

Also (the greatly missed) George Hesselberg's opening lines from awhile back:

"Be it the name, the contents, the secret recipe, the weight, the occasionally blackened bottom, even the sheen or the chewiness of the perfect specimen, it seems no one remembers it in exactly the same way. It is, in a political-culinary sense, the antithesis of a Christmas cookie: You can't eat more than one in a sitting, it is seldom included on party trays at holiday gatherings and it is difficult, if not impossible, to decorate.
The GC is cloaked in the sort of fuzzy mystery that fogs recountings of virtually everything that happened in Madison in the 1960s and 1970s."
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bikinchef » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm

I have heard of a man who lives in a cottage by the river that originally made this cookie. Does anyone know about this man, I don't have a name. He went to Harvard came back to UW. He is an intellect I understand.
bikinchef

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:59 pm

1) yeah -- where did George Hesselburg go, anyway? He must have pissed off that new editor something awful. I miss him too.

2) Guerilla cookies (not gorilla cookies -- it was supposed to sound revolutionary) had a lot of sunflower seeds and molasses, but I'm not sure about the coconut. I think that was in those carob-dipped good karma cookies that came in a little miniature muffin-paper thing. (I know I've got the name wrong and someone else will remember it.) They were a whole lot better than guerilla cookies, which were real tooth-breakers.

3) Why do we discuss guerilla cookies approximately every 6 months on this forum? More than half the readership wasn't even alive to eat one.

4) >>I have heard of a man who lives in a cottage by the river that originally made this cookie.<<

Oh, dear.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:15 pm

snoqueen wrote: I think that was in those carob-dipped good karma cookies that came in a little miniature muffin-paper thing. (I know I've got the name wrong and someone else will remember it.) They were a whole lot better than guerilla cookies, which were real tooth-breakers.

Chani Cups, with a long a (unsure of the spelling). Pronounced like the last name of the dick who is vice president. And I agree, they were a whole lot better tasting.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:4) >>I have heard of a man who lives in a cottage by the river that originally made this cookie.<<

Oh, dear.

I was really hoping bikinchef was kidding. Sadly, I don't think that's the case.

Maybe it was this guy:

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:54 pm

snoqueen wrote: >>I have heard of a man who lives in a cottage by the river that originally made this cookie.<<

Oh, dear.

Actually, that's pretty much the way it was first told to me, too, way back when I first joined Nature's Bakery in 1997 - there was some guy, at the end of a dirt road somewhere, and while you couldn't phone ahead because he didn't have a phone, if you went to all the trouble of driving out there and he liked the cut of your jib he might kick you down the Guerilla/Gorilla cookie recipee.

If it's a bunch of urban hooey it's at least a consistent bunch of urban hooey.

I've also had it confirmed by some of the principals involved that Nature's Bakery also was responsible for supplying hashiated treats to Mifflin Block Parties of yore. Which explains the guy who came up to a collectivist out on delivery, loudly and persistently demanding that he sell him 'those special brownies.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lizC » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Marvell wrote:I've also had it confirmed by some of the principals involved that Nature's Bakery also was responsible for supplying hashiated treats to Mifflin Block Parties of yore.

I remember taking my baby brother to the block party in 1979 or 1980 - he must have been about 10 or 11 (I was a totally irresponsible 17/18 yr old) - and someone sold him one of those brownies by accident. I never believed they existed before that!
lizC

Postby mountain_goat » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:56 am

I read this letter to the editor in On Wisconsin:

Jim Weis "really wants to know" the formula for so-called guerilla cookies.

As their true and only creator (popular journalism to the contrary notwithstanding), I testify under oath: they came into existence and were made in the service of certain principles. To release them into the public domain advantages those who exploit them contrary to principles. (Consumerism is an example of what these principles are not).

Failure is a concept not often found in the pages of On Wisconsin. Despite extraordinary effort at great personal cost, a synthesis of the moral and productive eluded me, to exhaustion. I made many an error. But then, the whole society has taken a false turn, hasn't it?

Ted Odell,
Decatur, WI
mountain_goat

Postby bikinchef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 pm

What are you saying Goat?
bikinchef

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 pm

Ted Odell!

I'd never have remembered his name on my own, but that's the guy. After the dirt road incarnation (or before it, for all I know) he had a bakery in the back of the building at 301 S. Bedford Street at the same time I had my neon shop in the same building. This was around 1983, 84, 85 at the latest.

To fill in some details, when I first moved in the building was owned by a transvestite (or real transsexual, I certainly don't know) named Larry (formerly Lorraine, and long dead now). Larry, who was a good sport and kind soul, had a lot of other artists and assorted characters for tenants including the mysterious Vegetable Men, who collected and distributed root vegetables from one of the lockers in the basement (now a band practice room). The upstairs part of the building was inhabited by bats, leaked in the rain, and had virtually no heat, homeless people slept here and there to get out of the cold, an unusual couple who had quite a few cats lived in one of the front offices, and other studios belonged to a potter, an upholstery guy, a guy who spent his time painting naked pictures of himself, a junque artist, and more. It was never dull -- we all knew each other and spent as much time gossiping as working.

Now of course 301 is an utterly normal, heated, tidy building, but its renewal was probably the neighborhood's first gentrification back when it was all a grubby low-rent student quarter. Thanks for bringing back a colorful memory.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues