MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gorilla cookies

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby corvid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
snoqueen wrote: I think that was in those carob-dipped good karma cookies that came in a little miniature muffin-paper thing. (I know I've got the name wrong and someone else will remember it.) They were a whole lot better than guerilla cookies, which were real tooth-breakers.

Chani Cups, with a long a (unsure of the spelling). Pronounced like the last name of the dick who is vice president. And I agree, they were a whole lot better tasting.

Interesting thing about memory...3 people can see the same event, and 5 minutes later tell you completely different stories, with the best of intentions. Makes you never trust a history book again. But I think I have the real skinny on Chani cups, because I am pretty sure I was there.

They were pronounced shah-nee cups, named after the daughter of the guy who invented them. They were one of the two cottage industries of Martha's Co-op in the very early 80's, made in our basement under marginally dubious sanitary conditions (but probably no more so than regular candy). Two guys made them, whose names I sadly do not remember, though I remember Chani's Dad's face....neither of them lived at the house at the time, I think he was a former Marthinian. Chani was 5 or 6 at the time, and I remember her face perfectly.

Chani cups were an alternative "healthy" peanut butter cup...the base was made with peanut butter, honey, powdered milk, sunflower seeds, and I don't remember what else. The top was a thick slab of delicious carob. There were thousands of them cooling (carob top hardening, the base was not cooked) in racks in the room off the kitchen, and I must admit I purloined one from time to time.

I found this post because as I was driving home last night (in Seattle, WA), Chani cups suddenly popped into my head, after years of never occurring to me. I wondered if somehow they might still be around. Gotta love the internet.
corvid

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:44 pm

corvid wrote:Chani cups were an alternative "healthy" peanut butter cup...the base was made with peanut butter, honey, powdered milk, sunflower seeds, and I don't remember what else.

Thanks for the history lesson, the correct pronounciation (at least I got the spelling right) and the recipe. If you think of the other ingredients (coconut maybe?) please let me know. Ms. Vilas is dying to make them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

chani cup recipe

Postby corvid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:52 pm

I don't think I ever actually made them myself (though I might have helped out once or twice).

I think though, you can get a close approximation with any standard energy/protein/backpacker's peanut butter bar recipe, and play with the ingredients until you get a combo that you like. The original might have had coconut, but I think it didn't because I don't love coconut in candy, but it may have...in any case, you might love coconut, and it might be a great addition for Ms. Vilas.

I am pretty sure the peanut butter portion was pressed into cups, not cooked...it was a stiff recipe. I really can't believe that was over a quarter of a century ago.
corvid

Postby chicken » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:55 am

For a minute there I thought you meant 'Reverend' Ted (surname forgotten), that great astrology enthusiast who was also the main man for a charitable food redistribution project, and who occasionally stored things in the new Nature's Bakery walk-in cooler, including such delicacies as foil-wrapped cheese samplers.

That would not be the same Ted of Quercus Alba / Guerilla Cookie fame, who had no association with Nature's whatsoever.

snoqueen wrote:Ted Odell!

I'd never have remembered his name on my own, but that's the guy. After the dirt road incarnation (or before it, for all I know) he had a bakery in the back of the building at 301 S. Bedford Street at the same time I had my neon shop in the same building. This was around 1983, 84, 85 at the latest.

To fill in some details, when I first moved in the building was owned by a transvestite (or real transsexual, I certainly don't know) named Larry (formerly Lorraine, and long dead now). Larry, who was a good sport and kind soul, had a lot of other artists and assorted characters for tenants including the mysterious Vegetable Men, who collected and distributed root vegetables from one of the lockers in the basement (now a band practice room). The upstairs part of the building was inhabited by bats, leaked in the rain, and had virtually no heat, homeless people slept here and there to get out of the cold, an unusual couple who had quite a few cats lived in one of the front offices, and other studios belonged to a potter, an upholstery guy, a guy who spent his time painting naked pictures of himself, a junque artist, and more. It was never dull -- we all knew each other and spent as much time gossiping as working.

Now of course 301 is an utterly normal, heated, tidy building, but its renewal was probably the neighborhood's first gentrification back when it was all a grubby low-rent student quarter. Thanks for bringing back a colorful memory.
Last edited by chicken on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
chicken

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:15 am

Ted Wagner (Rev.Ted, now deceased) and Ted O'Dell are two very different men. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the knew each other.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gorilla cookies

Postby Prairiefire » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:08 pm

'Scuse me please for bringing this topic momentarily to life. I continue to want to attract fans of the old guerrilla cookies to the topic where recreation of the recipe is being discussed, so I want to post a note here directing anyone interested over to the guerrilla-cookie discussion in the "Cooking" forum: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43228.

Judging from the people who wander in to that topic and the one over at Lindy's toast (http://www.lindystoast.com/2007/02/guer ... /#comments), somebody new googles "guerrilla cookie" at least once a month.

I just did that and oddly enough, this old topic is still the one that tops the list that Google produces. So I'm writing this post to direct anyone who stops by here over to the newer, more active discussions.

Again, sorry to bring this old topic to the top of the list. I'll go back to the other discussions now.
Prairiefire

Re:

Postby MusicPapa » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 pm

corvid wrote:Interesting thing about memory...3 people can see the same event, and 5 minutes later tell you completely different stories, with the best of intentions. Makes you never trust a history book again. But I think I have the real skinny on Chani cups, because I am pretty sure I was there.

They were pronounced shah-nee cups, named after the daughter of the guy who invented them. They were one of the two cottage industries of Martha's Co-op in the very early 80's...

Funny, I was thinking of Chani Cups just a week or two ago. I was a big fan of the Dune novels and always thought they were named after the character in the books.

At any rate they existed in the late 70's, too. I would buy them at Uncle Stanley's in the old University Square in '77/78; I lived right across the street in the southeast dorms that year.
MusicPapa

Postby MusicPapa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Chani Cup sighting from NBC archive footage:

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A3806_008.do

Does anyone recognize the (Madison) store?
MusicPapa

Postby Prairiefire » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:42 pm

What a find! I started a discussion thread about Chani cups, where more Chani cup fans are likely to see it.

I don't suppose the archive library had any guerrilla cookie footage, did it?
Prairiefire

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:37 pm

MusicPapa wrote:Chani Cup sighting from NBC archive footage:

Maybe the Mifflin Coop? If I could scratch the screen and sniff that video, I could tell you for sure. I visited the Mifflin Street Coop once in 1982, while chasing a heartache. The coop felt just right. (And it sold beer, so it was a match made in heaven. [In fact, I didn't drink alchohol at the time, but the principle smelled right.])
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm

fennel wrote:
MusicPapa wrote:Chani Cup sighting from NBC archive footage:

Maybe the Mifflin Coop? If I could scratch the screen and sniff that video, I could tell you for sure. I visited the Mifflin Street Coop once in 1982, while chasing a heartache. The coop felt just right. (And it sold beer, so it was a match made in heaven. [In fact, I didn't drink alchohol at the time, but the principle smelled right.])

Could be. I spent a fair amount of time in Miffy Coop in the 80s, but for some reason I don't remember an awful lot about the layout. They rearranged things at some point in the late 80s to get a handle on shoplifting (some of the Coop members were shocked! that anyone would steal from a coop...) and that's the layout that sticks in my mind. I don't remember a cutout in the wall next to the dairy case.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues