MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sandwich Confessional

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:03 pm

A friend just reminded me: fried Spam sandwich! With yellow mustard on toast, oh yes.

I'm such a nerd...
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Rosemary wrote:Grilled cheese and tomato soup is eternally comforting. Just the thought of it turns me on...

The Local Tavern - top of King St - has grilled cheese and tomato soup as their $5 lunch deal on Wednesdays. Yum!
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Rosemary wrote:
-- The only use I could possibly see in my diet anymore for Velveeta is grilled cheese.

Try melting Velveeta and mixing in some salsa, makes an awesome tortilla chip dip.

As for mustard, I love it...except the plain yellow mustard. The only time I use plain yellow mustard these days is on a hot dog, and even then I'd perfer Gulden's. I love experimenting the the more exotic mustards. I hope I don't gross anyone out with this, but a few years ago when I was trying to loose a few pounds I started using spicy mustard on my tuna sadnwiches instead of mayo. It's the difference of a 100+ calories and 10+ grams of fat. Once you get over the initial shock of the zesty instead of the creamy it's quite enjoyable, and considering the high protein and low fat of tuna along with almost no calories or fat in mustard, it's an awesome diet food.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 pm

When we were kids, our dad would put cottage cheese on a slice of bread (sometimes with a little butter) and then sprinkle a little bit of sugar on it. Got some weird looks at college the time I did that...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:02 pm

white_rabbit wrote:As for mustard, I love it...except the plain yellow mustard. The only time I use plain yellow mustard these days is on a hot dog, and even then I'd perfer Gulden's. I love experimenting the the more exotic mustards. I hope I don't gross anyone out with this, but a few years ago when I was trying to loose a few pounds I started using spicy mustard on my tuna sadnwiches instead of mayo. It's the difference of a 100+ calories and 10+ grams of fat. Once you get over the initial shock of the zesty instead of the creamy it's quite enjoyable, and considering the high protein and low fat of tuna along with almost no calories or fat in mustard, it's an awesome diet food.

I'm one foron you'll never have to worry about grossing out via a mustard discussion. I currently have French's yellow, McMenamin's Terminator Stout, Tulocay's Roasted Garlic and Cabernet stone ground, Sauza Tequila Infused, and (I think) about five others, in my fridge or pantry. Mustard and tuna is a proven winner.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:10 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'm one foron you'll never have to worry about grossing out via a mustard discussion. I currently have French's yellow, McMenamin's Terminator Stout, Tulocay's Roasted Garlic and Cabernet stone ground, Sauza Tequila Infused, and (I think) about five others, in my fridge or pantry. Mustard and tuna is a proven winner.

OK, I thought I was a mustard freak for having about half a dozen open in my fridge - but you win. I've never cared much for mayo, so trading it out for mustard isn't a tough sell with me, either.

One of my faves (though I don't have any in the house now) is Stonewall Kitchen's Sun-Dried Tomato Mustard. Overpriced, maybe, but delicious.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:52 am

mrak wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I'm one foron you'll never have to worry about grossing out via a mustard discussion. I currently have French's yellow, McMenamin's Terminator Stout, Tulocay's Roasted Garlic and Cabernet stone ground, Sauza Tequila Infused, and (I think) about five others, in my fridge or pantry. Mustard and tuna is a proven winner.

OK, I thought I was a mustard freak for having about half a dozen open in my fridge - but you win. I've never cared much for mayo, so trading it out for mustard isn't a tough sell with me, either.

One of my faves (though I don't have any in the house now) is Stonewall Kitchen's Sun-Dried Tomato Mustard. Overpriced, maybe, but delicious.

Stonewall Kitchen makes some super mustards. Their newest two- Traditional Pub and the Maple Chipotle are quite nice.
Wino
Forum Addict

Sandwich Confessional

Postby Lily » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:29 pm

roadkill bill wrote:
My favorite sandwiches from childhood:

* grilled cheese made with Velveeta (with Campbell's tomato soup)
* Fluffernutters (PB and marshmallow fluff)
* PB&Js - of course
* Oscar Meyer bologna and butter
* butter and sugar
* cream cheese and jelly
* PB and honey

Yikes. Bland indeed was the way to go. Kids have no real taste and, as a former kid, I have to admit to being a member of the PB and fluffernutter sandwich gang. And many more of the above. Gag.

PB and honey is still good but now it's on whole or multi-grain bread. And I still love grilled cheese and tomato soup but it's better home-made with the real stuff.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:08 am

i like to throw some salt n vinegar chips on a good italian sandwich
square
Forum Addict

Postby Hank_Venison » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:51 am

Bologna, American Cheese, Lettuce, Miracle Whip & Yellow Mustard on toasted white bread. It was our version of a "club" sandwich. We would sometimes make it as a "double decker" (3 pieces of toast) Sometimes we would even add OM summer sausage!
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues