MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sandwich Confessional

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby msnflyer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:28 am

Chunky peanut butter, crisp dill pickles on grainy bread, yummy.
At funeral lunches in Coon Valley the church ladies always make open face Cheez Whiz and crushed potato chip sandwiches.
At Junior's bar in Leland you can get summer sausage sandwiches that go great with a cold PBR. Junior cuts a slice of sausage from the roll, slaps it on a slice of bread, another slice of bread to cover it, voila! Add mustard to taste.
At a bar in downtown La Crosse had a grilled cheese. Dark rye, a slice of cheddar on one side, Swiss on the other. Sprinkle pimento stuffed sliced green olives in the middle and you have a warm, salty, melty, delightful sandwich. And I thought olives were only good in Martinis and Manhattans.
Will be sampling the lobster rolls in Maine in July.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 am

After living with only a sandwich maker and a microwave to cook with for about 9 months in college, I think my days of unusual sandwich combinations are on hiatus.

Three I still enjoy:

-Fried leftover brat/italian sausage and Swiss, with a little barbecue or rooster sauce
-Peanut butter and banana on toast
-Saltines and butter on white bread. No nutrition, sounds tasteless but it's oddly enjoyable.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41 am

Sandwiches! Love 'em.

My grandma would always make a basic braunschweiger on white bread sandwich for me when she babysat me. That always brings back tasty memories, although I've never had one in my adult life to compare it.

My dad was Dutch, and frequently made hagelslag and butter (on white bread) sandwiches. Kinda reminiscent of the Capn Crunch sandwich in The Breakfast Club.

My sandwich is leftover meatloaf, sliced thick, on white or french bread with iceberg lettuce and A1, all cold. I don't eat A1 on anything anymore, except this sandwich.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:44 am

It's been years since I had a fried bologna samwich like my Dad used to make for us when my Mom wasn't around. Fry up a couple of pieces, slap 'em on white bread with some yellow mustard... mmmmm....
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:00 am

msnflyer wrote:At Junior's bar in Leland you can get summer sausage sandwiches that go great with a cold PBR.

I don't know if this is Junior's, but it is Leland. $2.50 seems a little steep... does the sandwich come with free ordnance?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:32 am

catty - although you can see the fat in mortadella, my Italian friends all claim that it contains less fat and far better ingredients than American bologna, which can contain practically anything. Unfortunately, I have looked online just now and have been unable to verify this (what exactly is in "ground pork" anyway?). Oh, well. Nothing like a good mortadella melting into freshly toasted bread.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby Ichabod » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:43 am

I love the PB and banana sandwich too!

My mother referred to BLT's as LBT's. And Sloppy Joe's were Hot Tamales. Weird.
Ichabod

Postby small cheese » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:51 am

garmonbozia wrote:-butter and salt on toast

+ sliced radish, preferably pulled from the garden
----
A fav of mine in high school was fried egg, american cheese, and lettuce on an english muffin. Haven't had one in years, but now I can't wait to make one.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Ducatista wrote:
msnflyer wrote:At Junior's bar in Leland you can get summer sausage sandwiches that go great with a cold PBR.

I don't know if this is Junior's, but it is Leland. $2.50 seems a little steep... does the sandwich come with free ordnance?

Taken at the end point of a Slimey Crud run? Yep, that's Junior's, I've been going there for many years.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm

msnflyer wrote:Taken at the end point of a Slimey Crud run?

You know it! Of all the Crud photos we've taken over the years, that's my favorite, go figure.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Sandwich Confessional

Postby Lily » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:01 pm

i remember loving fried balony sandwiches on Wonder bread with mayo and French's mustard. Another one my mom made was to take a slice of buttered bread, pull a circle out of the middle, put in fry pan and crack an egg in the center. When the egg was fried it was done.Still like the peanut butter sandwiches (sometimes with banana, cheese, or honey) but I prefer whole grain breads now.

My husband says he used to like ketchup sandwiches. Yep. White bread with ketchup.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:17 pm

My favorite sammich as a kid was the pretty generic tuna & mayo on white. I especially liked it when my mom would make fresh bread and the bread was still warm enough to melt the butter. I also enjoyed mini-sandwichs of saltine crackers, mayo and pickle chips.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Sandwich Confessional

Postby Lily » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:29 pm

white_rabbit wrote:My favorite sammich as a kid was the pretty generic tuna & mayo on white. I especially liked it when my mom would make fresh bread and the bread was still warm enough to melt the butter. I also enjoyed mini-sandwichs of saltine crackers, mayo and pickle chips.

Yeah. We used to have the mini-sandwiches too. Think I may have to revive that one next snack time! And there's no better thing than fresh bread with melting butter!!! MMMMMMMMmmmm!
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Late one drunken night a friend made me a pickle sandwich which was spectacular. You lightly toast the bread, then smother it in butter, salt and pepper and cover with slices of pickle and tomato and grill them to perfection. I suppose you could use cheese and stuff too but this version is pretty good, drunk or sober.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:26 pm

meowzamusic wrote:Late one drunken night a friend made me a pickle sandwich which was spectacular. You lightly toast the bread, then smother it in butter, salt and pepper and cover with slices of pickle and tomato and grill them to perfection.

Reading this post, an idea for a slight variation popped into my sandwich-craving nogging...do the above, minus the pickle slices, but serve with a side of blue cheese dressing to dip the sandwich in. Toasted bread, tomato, butter, salt, pepper dipped in blue cheese...mmmm...I must try that. Add bacon and I'm betting multiple taste bud orgasms.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues