MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

A mustard thread it is, then!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

A mustard thread it is, then!

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:17 am

Maybe I shouldn't be taking it upon myself to redirect threadjacks about topics I like, but what the hell. It's the weekend.

Are you a mustard person? Have you been to the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum? Does the name "The Curator" mean anything special to you?

And most importantly, what kind of mustard do you have in your fridge right now?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:28 am

When my wife and I go to the movies, we usually get a basket of the pretzel bites. Because we don't want the nasty cheez wiz they serve with them, I used to ask for mustard, but they have little microscopic packets of crappy yellow mustard.

So I've started sneaking in my own mustard to put on the pretzels we buy there.

Why does telling this story make me feel like I'm entering a twelve-step program?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:57 am

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 am

mrak wrote:Why does telling this story make me feel like I'm entering a twelve-step program?

"Hi, my name is mrak."

"Hi, mrak."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I currently have French's yellow, McMenamin's Terminator Stout, Tulocay's Roasted Garlic and Cabernet stone ground, Sauza Tequila Infused, and (I think) about five others, in my fridge or pantry.

There were actually six others. Beaver Dijon with White Wine, Bratfest Original, Elsenham Tewkesbury, Dulcet Madras Curry, Plochman's Celebrations Definitely Dill, and Terrapin Ridge Caesar.

Yes, I think this might require an intervention. Or a mini fridge just for mustard, which I've considered more strongly than I probably should.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:06 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I currently have French's yellow, McMenamin's Terminator Stout, Tulocay's Roasted Garlic and Cabernet stone ground, Sauza Tequila Infused, and (I think) about five others, in my fridge or pantry.

There were actually six others. Beaver Dijon with White Wine, Bratfest Original, Elsenham Tewkesbury, Dulcet Madras Curry, Plochman's Celebrations Definitely Dill, and Terrapin Ridge Caesar.

Yes, I think this might require an intervention. Or a mini fridge just for mustard, which I've considered more strongly than I probably should.

I love mustard, but I'm more a "simple is good" person. So, for me. 1 non-seeded Dijon, 1 seeded Dijon, and 1 super-hot horseradish mustard is all I need/want.
doddles
Forum Addict

Re: A mustard thread it is, then!

Postby Rosemary » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:47 am

Haven't been to the Museum yet, but I'm keen to go. Would also like to do some food- and drink-related road trips: cheese makers, breweries, beloved local joints in small towns, wine makers, family farms, those sorts of themes.

I've enjoyed almost every mustard I've ever come across; oddly, however, I rarely use it. (Should plan some cooking involving mustard this week... hmmm.) I have some Boetje's on the shelf right now and some Jack Daniel's in the fridge. (Bought some Cracovia horseradish at the Polish deli last week.) I'm not so much a fan of plain yellow mustard, except maybe on a hot dog once in a blue moon.

Has anyone had the Sierra Nevada-infused mustards? They tantalize me, but I can't justify buying them until I go through what I have!
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:01 am

Rosemary wrote:Haven't been to the Museum yet, but I'm keen to go. Would also like to do some food- and drink-related road trips: cheese makers, breweries, beloved local joints in small towns, wine makers, family farms, those sorts of themes.

I did that with some friends a few years back. Barry Levenson, the curator of the museum (a former east coast lawyer who now has an honest profession), is quite a hoot. After that, lunch at the Grumpy Troll Brew Pub. We also hit the Botham Vineyard and New Glarus Brewing. A nice summer road trip.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:09 am

Rosemary wrote:Has anyone had the Sierra Nevada-infused mustards? They tantalize me, but I can't justify buying them until I go through what I have!

The spicy brown Porter is quite good. I haven't tried the other two yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 am

Currently in my fridge:

1. Plochman's mild yellow mustard.
2. Ty Ling Chinese-style hot mustard.
3. Vilux extra strong Dijon mustard.
4. Brennan's Dusseldorf mustard.
5. Gulden's spicy brown mustard.

I've been meaning to pick up a good horseradish mustard, but the wife seems to think that 5 mustards is enough.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:50 am

I've got a select few of those (?) fancier mini-jars and a bottle of that Inglehoffer stone ground. I'm not big on Dijon or any mustard w/ honey.

Where can I get that garlic mustard?

No catsup shall touch my burger/brat (if I've got a choice).
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:54 am

supaunknown wrote:Where can I get that garlic mustard?

Are you close to a World Market/CostPlus? I know they have it. Orange Tree Imports on Monroe (if you're in Madison) might have it. And, of course, the Mustard Museum store. You can even taste-test there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Roland's "Mutard ala Ancienne"-loosely mustard in the old style, costs a pricey 6 bucks at woodman's. But aside from being tasty, it comes in a charming little crock.

So once the crock was cashed I got it into my head to make my own mustard in order to refill it. Mustard powder and mustard seed were procurred from the Willy st. Coop. I pulsed it in a food processor with salt and plenty of cider vinegar. Once the seeds soaked up the vinegar overnight it took some more to make it spreadable.

The results are a beautiful mustard color (Surprise!) that is strong enough to peel the paint off a door! So a little bit gos a long way. I've noticed that most yellow mustards acheive the color by use of Tumeric anyway-it was fun to do, probably be cheaper to just buy the stuff, after all its not expensive unless you've gotta get the French import.

One of my favorite domestics is "Boetje's"-it runs like $1.39 for a little jar.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Monzie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:46 pm

In our house, it can take the better part of a year to use up a small bottle of ketchup, but we have *seven* kinds of mustard in the condiment rack: French's Yellow, Gulden's Spicy Brown, Grey Poupon in the squeezy bottle for the husband's sandwiches, Maille dijon in the jar for vinaigrettes and the like, some sort of Chinese hot mustard, a little pot of East Shore Sweet and Tangy for pretzel dippin', and a jar of Arran whole grain mustard that I brought home from a vacation in Scotland.

Yes, I am that person who brings back food as a souvenirs from most vacations.
Monzie

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 am

Yesterday I added Inglehoffer Deli Mustard with grated horseradish roots to my collection. Haven't tried it yet, but how could it not be good?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues