MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, March 4, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

New York Style bagels in Madison just weeks away

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby mrak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:05 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:And just FYI, a joke is a lot funnier if the maker doesn't explain it. So thanks for ruining my life.

That last part is really funny!

What does it mean?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Stop the presses! There's been a non-constructive comment posted at TDPF!

I thought it was funny that there were two very staccato, one-line questions posted in quick succession. That line was the first thing that came to mind.

And just FYI, a joke is a lot funnier if the maker doesn't explain it. So thanks for ruining my life.

I was just teasing. Sorry, I thought it was funny and tried to be funny back. I should know better.

And now I've screwed up everything!! SHIT!

(it's cool. let's just pretend it's Friday)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:12 am

cubanat wrote:As for bialys...

The only local source I'm aware of for bialys as of now is Manna Cafe on North Sherman Ave. They only make them on weekends.

I love 'em, but I can't say I know where they rank on the authenticity scale.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:54 am

mrak wrote:
cubanat wrote:As for bialys...

The only local source I'm aware of for bialys as of now is Manna Cafe on North Sherman Ave. They only make them on weekends.

I love 'em, but I can't say I know where they rank on the authenticity scale.

I thought Bagels Forever had bialys...?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I thought Bagels Forever had bialys...?

Do they? I'll check them out, thanks!

(I'm sorry to admit it, but I haven't been to Bagels Forever in just, well, forever.)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Manna looks pretty good based on the website. What, no corned beef or pastrami? (insert Yiddish accent) I'll have to check it out. I have high hopes for the smoked meats that Gotham will have. Should I hold my breath? can't wait to taste...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:18 pm

cubanat wrote:Manna looks pretty good based on the website. What, no corned beef or pastrami? (insert Yiddish accent) I'll have to check it out.

I like the place, but their focus is really bakery-cafe, hence the lack of deli meats.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Man, but I'd kill for a mile-high pastrami on rye right now.

Why can't the Carnegie be a chain?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:56 pm

Will someone please explain why a New York bagel is so much better than anything else you csn currently get in Madison? Surely it can't be that much of a difference. Are you all bagel snobs?
Also, what is up with that name? Is this a chain?Gotham makes me think of Batman, will they get sued by DC comics?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:Will someone please explain why a New York bagel is so much better than anything else you csn currently get in Madison? Surely it can't be that much of a difference. Are you all bagel snobs?
Also, what is up with that name? Is this a chain?Gotham makes me think of Batman, will they get sued by DC comics?

There's a lot of snobbery in the world of bagels, but it's no different than pizza snobbery between NYC and Chicago, or chili snobbery between Cincinnati and, oh, everyone else, or hot dog snobbery between NYC and Chicago.

(a lot of these debates involve NYC....I wonder what it is about the NYC attitude that inspires these debates...)

If something is "supposed" to be made a certain way, people are going to get into hairpulling fights about it.

And I don't know if you knew this or not, but the name "Gotham" referred to New York long before Batman was even a glimmer in Bob Kane's eye.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:18 pm

I'm thrilled to see, what might be a good moderate joint, that side of the Square.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:There's a lot of snobbery in the world of bagels, but it's no different than pizza snobbery between NYC and Chicago, or chili snobbery between Cincinnati and, oh, everyone else, or hot dog snobbery between NYC and Chicago.

(a lot of these debates involve NYC....I wonder what it is about the NYC attitude that inspires these debates...)

What I want to know, is how much time does one have to spend in NYC, before one can disdainfully sneer "ya call THAT a bagel?" with any authority.

'Cause that's something I've been meaning to work on.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:44 pm

cubanat wrote: What, no corned beef or pastrami? (insert Yiddish accent)

Why should there not be such a thing? Would having a little corned beef kill you? Oy...not to kvetch, but I get tsuris just thinking about it.

Maybe if we all tummel they'll change their minds...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:Will someone please explain why a New York bagel is so much better than anything else you csn currently get in Madison? Surely it can't be that much of a difference. Are you all bagel snobs?

The operative words here are "New York Style"...what will end up being pawned off on hopeful transplants to the midwest will be inevibaly be more akin to a donut formed out of Wonder bread than anything resembling whatever it is that is sold on the East Coast.

Best plan on enjoying the parade of mutants such as "Crazin bagels" "Choco-Chip" and "Vehicle for Cinnamon-Sugar" all with hefty portions of cream cheese mixed with Cool Whip and canned pineapple in heavy syrup.

And know enough to leave the "Reuben-Bagel" alone-you'll only be disappointed.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:50 pm

One of my best friends grew up in Great Neck. Like a disproportionate number of my good friends, she's a secular jew.

The first time she came to visit me in Wisconsin I was stunned, frankly, by the heat and depth of her contempt for our local bagels. In fact, she bitterly denied that they could be called bagels at all.

The next time I visited her (she lives in Brooklyn), the first thing she did was take me to the deli around the corner. She watched me intently as I took my first bite of an onion with shmear.

"Now that's a bagel," she announced triumphantly.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues