MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

New York Style bagels in Madison just weeks away

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Yes, but how was it for you?
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:58 pm

GenieU wrote:"Vehicle for Cinnamon-Sugar"

Heh.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:15 pm

Not to play devil's advocate: (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... ays_devils)

but yet another erzatz NYC bagel place is not getting carte-blanche acceptance from this forum poster until it has been put through it's paces. This involves a series of rigorous tests involving the analysis of gluten to water in each bagel variety, and if the corned beef ain't in a steam table, fuggetaboutit....

That having been said, a toasted bagel with salmon cream cheese and onion would really hit the spot right now.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Marvell's story illustrates The Truth.

The fucking sad-sack "bagels" they sell in this town are as Miller Lite is to Sierra Nevada.

I have no hope whatsoever Gotham will alter this sorry state of affairs.

Are they going to hand me a sizzling hot bagel that has just been removed from boiling water, malt syrup and salt?

I don't think so.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Word on the street is that some bagel dudes from the Bronx that one of the principals knows came out to train them on the real way to make NY bagels SO we'll see. As to NYC attitudes about food--with the mix of cultures, incomes, competition, and other things it tends to make a more seasoned consumer. This equates to damn fine foods-from cheap to expensive-it doesn't matter. I just got back from Montreal and they also have some damn fine smoked meats and bagels that are both slightly diffrent from NYC but just as delicious. Good food is good food no matter where you are.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Marvell wrote:One of my best friends grew up in Great Neck. Like a disproportionate number of my good friends, she's a secular jew.

The first time she came to visit me in Wisconsin I was stunned, frankly, by the heat and depth of her contempt for our local bagels. In fact, she bitterly denied that they could be called bagels at all.

The next time I visited her (she lives in Brooklyn), the first thing she did was take me to the deli around the corner. She watched me intently as I took my first bite of an onion with shmear.

"Now that's a bagel," she announced triumphantly.

So...
Was it any different from anything you can get around here?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:25 pm

cubanat wrote: I just got back from Montreal and they also have some damn fine smoked meats and bagels that are both slightly diffrent from NYC but just as delicious. Good food is good food no matter where you are.

Well, I'm glad someone mentioned Montreal. I think of NY bagels as what you eat when you can't get Montreal bagels.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:23 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:
Marvell wrote:One of my best friends grew up in Great Neck. Like a disproportionate number of my good friends, she's a secular jew.

The first time she came to visit me in Wisconsin I was stunned, frankly, by the heat and depth of her contempt for our local bagels. In fact, she bitterly denied that they could be called bagels at all.

The next time I visited her (she lives in Brooklyn), the first thing she did was take me to the deli around the corner. She watched me intently as I took my first bite of an onion with shmear.

"Now that's a bagel," she announced triumphantly.

So...

Hank, the bagels here in Madison suck compared to NY and Montreal. I don't know why but it is just fact. There are tons of posts on the subject if you do some searches on this forum or on madison.com's site and/or christopher robins fresh food forum...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:35 pm

fennel wrote:
cubanat wrote: I just got back from Montreal and they also have some damn fine smoked meats and bagels that are both slightly diffrent from NYC but just as delicious. Good food is good food no matter where you are.

Well, I'm glad someone mentioned Montreal. I think of NY bagels as what you eat when you can't get Montreal bagels.

I seem to recall a certain Tony Bourdain who admitted grudgingly that Montreal's bagels were stiff competition to New York's.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skippy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:53 pm

mrak wrote:
cubanat wrote:As for bialys...

The only local source I'm aware of for bialys as of now is Manna Cafe on North Sherman Ave. They only make them on weekends.

I love 'em, but I can't say I know where they rank on the authenticity scale.

Thanks for the word on bialys at Manna Cafe. I've never seen a place with them in Madison since I've lived here. It's much closer than Chicago.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby skippy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:00 pm

mrak wrote:
cubanat wrote:As for bialys...

The only local source I'm aware of for bialys as of now is Manna Cafe on North Sherman Ave. They only make them on weekends.

I love 'em, but I can't say I know where they rank on the authenticity scale.

D'oh! I guess you can't just get bialys to go from Manna Cafe:

"Bialys: (What?) Click here for a little history of this humble roll, which we make and feature ONLY with our weekend brunch"

I don't want your brunch, I want the bialys to go! Oh well, New York Bagel & Bialy on Touhy Avenue, here I come.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:21 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:So...

Yes.

I believe the proper expression is, 'crusty as fuck.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:30 pm

I've never had a bagel in New York. But I'm definitely not a fan of the big, puffy, bread-y bagels from Einstein et al. I like a flatter, chewier bagel. Onion or egg, perferably.

Sweet "bagels" are a nasty perversion.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:04 pm

skippy wrote:D'oh! I guess you can't just get bialys to go from Manna Cafe:

The denial on their Web site notwithstanding, pretty much every time I've gone there on weekends, they have a basket of them for sale ($1 each) at the bakery counter.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Marvell wrote:
Hank_Venison wrote:So...

Yes.

I believe the proper expression is, 'crusty as fuck.'

Another thing to keep in mind is, there is no uniform standard of New York bagel, either.

In addition to their conviction that NYC bagels are superior to those out here in the hinterlands, New Yorkers love to argue with each other (go figure) about which of the bagels available in NYC are the best. I've had damn good ones - crusty as fuck, indeed - and others that were no more special than those one can get around here.

It's been a few years, but I remember being fond of this place, as much for the bagels as for the no-nonsense ordering procedure, which some find reminiscent of Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi":
http://www.ess-a-bagel.com/

Just know what you want when it's your turn, and you'll be fine.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues