MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

corned beef and cabbage?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby cute hat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Hey, you silly rabbit!

Corned beef at the 'Rock was delish!

xoxo
cute hat
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:58 pm

eriedasch wrote:If you are in Middleton, the Village Green is the supposed place to be on St. Patty's. They slow cook their corned beef for a few days prior.

The Village Green is indeed an excellent place to be on St. Pats. Or on most any other day. One of the things I miss the most from my old neighborhood.

Say hi to everyone for me.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:01 pm

We went to the Shamrock for lunch on Friday - it was the first time I had eaten there. It was awesome - I couldn't believe the platter of food, and then I couldn't believe I plowed through it in no time flat. I was ready to be unimpressed anywhere we went for lunch (so ready that I had corned beef cooking in the crockpot before I left for work that morning), but the Shamrock's corned beef platter was the best food surprise I've had in a long time.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:12 pm

cute hat wrote:Hey, you silly rabbit!

xoxo
cute hat

I went early, around 9am and had the breakfast corned beef platter. It was hashbrowns, layered by corned beef with eggs on top, had mine over hard. It was a yummy start to the day. I was going to go back for a reuben but never got around to it after book shopping on State. I hope there is enough left for breakfast tomorrow.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:08 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
cute hat wrote:Hey, you silly rabbit!

xoxo
cute hat

I went early, around 9am and had the breakfast corned beef platter. It was hashbrowns, layered by corned beef with eggs on top, had mine over hard. It was a yummy start to the day. I was going to go back for a reuben but never got around to it after book shopping on State. I hope there is enough left for breakfast tomorrow.

Maybe I'll see you. Genna's mimosas were okay, but. . . yours RULE.

;-)
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:16 am

Stomach wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
TAsunder wrote:The corned beef and cabbage at brocach is ridiculously good.

Boycott Brocach, they're the only bar on the square that will not contribute to the parade fund because they're "going to get all the business anyway"...fuck them.

That is lame on their part. I thought the owners were from Chicago, they outta know about having a fun St Patrick's Day. FIBs!

Brocach is listed as a sponsor on the parade's website. Also a banner naming the sponsors was at the head of the parade and Brocach was on it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:04 am

Yeah, I biff'd that one. I should know by now to check my sources claim before posting, apologies to brocach.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Well, I gave Brocach my business, as I have done the last 3 St Pats. It's the only place with *good* Guinness on tap, for starters. Plenty of others there yesterday too, even at 11am.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby donges » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:24 pm

doddles wrote:It's the only place with *good* Guinness on tap, for starters.

Best Guinness pour in town. Absolutely!
And their happy hour special of a pint plus a shot of Jameson for 6 bucks is a great deal.
But I will never do the Irish Breakfast again - WAY too much food!
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:13 pm

glad the parade issue was resolved. Speaking of the parade, I went over to brocach just as the parade was starting. As I crammed my way through the totally insane number of people in brocach to place a takeout order, probably violating sexual assault laws because it was so tightly packed, I watched the parade a bit. Even with brocach's support it was incredibly lame. The best part were the bands playing on the back of pickup trucks. I can't say as I've seen anything quite so spectacularly boring.

I got much more amusement out of the people around the square. I was wearing a kind of pastel green, but pretty much everyone else had the "right" green. There were people in giant hats and all kinds of crazy hair styles. Lots of fun.

And as expected, the corned beef was great!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues