MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Snow Freezing Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Breakfast

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:47 am

GenieU wrote:Not to be confused with "Strumpet"...

Which is also pretty sweet in the morning...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Aha! So that's what a crumpet is!

Seriously ... I'm a rube. The rest is all a ruse.

But honestly, the traditional English breakfast has got to be one of the most gag-making memories I possess. You wanna talk eggs? Apparently, if it isn't still undergoing cellular division it isn't fit for the breakfast plate in Britain.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Aha! So that's what a crumpet is!

Seriously ... I'm a rube. The rest is all a ruse.

But honestly, the traditional English breakfast has got to be one of the most gag-making memories I possess. You wanna talk eggs? Apparently, if it isn't still undergoing cellular division it isn't fit for the breakfast plate in Britain.

Ditto that. 'Black Pudding' isn't really pudding, it's just wrong.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:41 pm

When I cook rice (short grain, brown), I always make quite a bit extra and keep it in the fridge. Mix with good yogurt*, a bit of grade-A maple syrup, fresh fruit, and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon. Damn satisfying. You can augment with good-quality granola such as that from Natureâ??s Bakery on Willy St.

* Un-thickened yogurt is hard to find, but Seven Stars Farm suits me well. Why most americans think yogurt should be like pudding, I don't know.

Another option which I like is a good apple or two. Pure and simple. (And organic, of course.)

I think someone else may have mentioned home-made scones. Maybe not so healthful, relatively, but lordy, they can sustain one's soul! My tip: try adding freshly-grated ginger. Ripe pears are deleriously satisfying, as well as raspberries. Keep the sugar level modest; it's ultimately much more satisfying.

I'm also a fan of fresh eggs (expiration date at least three weeks off). If you're pressed for time, you can steam or lighly sautée some vegetables the night before, or do a batch for the next 3 days ( a little ginger, a little shoyu at the end...) . In the morning, toss the vegetables in a medium-hot skillet with a bit of nice oil, then add one or two eggs and scramble lightly. Skip toast if you want to keep it light. Then a small piece of fruit.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:46 am

Oh man, was this a good sandwich this AM:

Toasted Natural Ovens healthy grains & onion bagel
Fontina cheese
Microwaved egg
Cilantro pesto
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby monsterface » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:13 am

cattyr wrote:...Brummel & Brown (love that stuff!) PB ...

Brummel & Brown makes PB?

???
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:38 am

Got a slow cooker? Try this, based on a recipe by Alton Brown:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup steel cut oats
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1 cup dates, chopped
* 4 cups water
* 1/2 cup half and half

PREPARATION:
Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir well before serving. 4 servings

(This works best in a small slow cooker, like 1.5 quarts or so.)
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:24 am

Only the brits could create and market some sort of bread pudding-like food and call it "Spotted Dick".

Saw this "delicacy" at Cost Plus World Market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Dick
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:42 am

Pogoagogo wrote:Only the brits could create and market some sort of bread pudding-like food and call it "Spotted Dick".

Saw this "delicacy" at Cost Plus World Market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Dick

And then there's this product, widely available in Jamaica:

Last year I brought a few of them back as "souvenirs", met with varying degrees of appreciation by their lucky recipients.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:57 am

I don't do much scrambled eggs but I do omelettes sometimes.

3 eggs, a couple dollops of lowfat sour cream, and a good pour of olive oil. I usually add some cholula with the salt and pepper. Whisk all that together. Actually, I usually whip the hell out of it for a couple minutes.

Butter the pan so it won't stick. I like them a little juicy, so I don't cook it till the whole thing is dry, I get it firm though and then crumble on some feta to counter the cholula. Fold it over on the plate (this gets the feta folded inside) and let it sit a minute or so to heat up the feta a little.

The eggs tend to turn out really fluffy with this approach, and the little kick from the cholula is balanced with the feta.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 pm

monsterface wrote:Brummel & Brown makes PB?

???

Sorry, missed a comma I guess. No, I do both B&B and PB&J or marmalade.

fennel - agreed on the yogurt 100%. Is that Seven Stars in regular grocery stores? I'm a long ways from any co-ops. Need to get back over to TJs for my Fage fix.

Beer Moon, that omelette sounds out of this world.

And thanks to all folks that turned me on to the Chipolte Tabasco over in the "random" thread. I finally got some and I could almost drink it straight, it's that good (I'm not particularly fond of regular Tabasco). The baby Cholula is what's on my desk, though.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:54 am

I would dearly love for someone to post their favorite, tried and true scone recipe. Love them but have never tried making them. Lazy Jane's are to die for.

For quick breakfasts, I make double batches of muffins and bake them in those texas size tins, then keep them in the freezer. 30 seconds zap and they're good to go. This week's muffin in pumpkin chocolate chip walnut. I always use organic ingredients and half whole wheat flour and throw in some flax and mace. A bowl of hard boiled eggs is also in the fridge. Muffin with butter, egg, glass of milk or juice. Done!

I'm a fan of seven stars yogurt too, I get it at Willy St. And today I am trying Martha Stewart's recipe for homemade yogurt...I don't know if it will end up being any cheaper than buying it, since I use organic milk, but what the heck.

And thanks for the cock soup graphic. I will get a lot of mileage out of that one. heh.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Omlette (and crepe) tips: Aside from making sure the pan is lubed up really good-it should be good and hot...

Next its crucial to pour the eggs slowly-smack dab in the center where they should begin to firm up almost imediately. You'll have better luck working with a couple of eggs at once as opposed to 8 or 12-If you need to be cooking for so many consider scrambled eggs or even an egg bake.

Sauteing whatever goodies are going in the Omlette in a separate pan will also serve to eliminate sticking.

Mastering these simple techniques will allow you to get the omlette moist and fluffy in the inside and a pleasing sunshine yellow (as opposed to burnt!) on the outside.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 pm

Plus try this when making omelets - separate the whites from the yolks and whip the whites frothy. Then fold in the yolks spiced up with some s+p, hot sauce, whatever and cook in that buttered up pan. They turn out like souffles! Ooh! Swiss and mushrooms!
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 am

Next time you make spaghetti cook a little extra, refrigerate it overnight. In the morning beat a couple of eggs, add the spaghetti, salt, and pepper. Pour into a hot, lightly greased saute pan. Press the spaghetti down to make a flat pancake. Let fry until nice and crisp. Turn (use a plate if you need to, keep the pancake in one piece) and brown the other side. Serve with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Yum, one of my favorite brekkies.

I like English and Irish breakfast because I only have to eat once a day. Mmmm, fried tomatoes, black or white pudding, beans, cold toast, marmalade, egss, and Irish bacon.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues