MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Location of second Willy St. Co-op?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Madsci » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm

A southwest side coop makes the most sense to me. It would save travel time and keep the west-siders out of Oz.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Madsci wrote:It would save travel time.

For whom? Not me, I can tell you that much.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm

I was just at the coop last week for the first time in years. The produce was much better than my previous ventures, when they were low on stock or out of stock of many basic items and the remaining items were kind of raggedy looking. This time it was all quite passable. I got a real hippie feeling from the radishes that were covered in dirt.

However, I have no idea how anyone can look at their cheese selection and think it is anything but pathetic. It might be better than the average copps but it does not even come close to the cheese selection at whole foods or brennan's. I was very disappointed.

Also, I don't think it is substantially different from TJ's if we are talking about whether you can get everything you need there. You can't, at either place. What you can get is some cool stuff that tastes good. If you combine TJ's or the co-op with Pierce's, then you have basically everything.

I would like nothing more than for willy coop to buy cap foods and send those fools off into the sunset. They have very annoying practices. Basically anything a poor student would want is marked up insanely, and anything else is reasonable. Coupled with the signs requiring minimums for credit cards that are a violation of credit card terms they plaster all over the place, and I will be glad if they are gone.

I am pretty sure they know it's a violation but put those signs up just to take advantage of students. So, to sum up, their entire business plan is based on fleecing students. They are the slum lords of grocery stores.

While it might seem foolish to put a store there, I think downtown residents are generally hesitant to drive or bike down to the willy st location. I know I am and it's only about 5 minutes away.

The west side would be another decent choice, but I can't think of an ideal location. Maybe more into middleton near all those hoitey-toitey stores like sharper image. But the rent there would be crazy.

So, downtown, or in another town entirely, is my preference.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:50 am

However, I have no idea how anyone can look at their cheese selection and think it is anything but pathetic.

We live on the east side, so we don't expect the second Willy St Coop to open up by us, but it's a little irritating to know that the new location will probably be nicer and bigger and have more selection than what is available at Willy St. (even though we will be voting for the expansion)

I don't really care for Brennan's cheese, although their vegetables and fruit are excellent. Whole Foods has the best selection of cheese, but it's a pain in the butt to get there from the East side.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby equuspower » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Whole Foods has the best selection of cheese, but it's a pain in the butt to get there from the East side.

And some of the prices are outrageous - though the selection is tops in Madison (IMHO). The Willy St. Coop cheese section is NOT the tops - it's just improved a lot in the last couple of years. There are many more "artisan cheeses" than there used to be.
equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:07 pm

equuspower wrote:Whole Foods has the best selection of cheese, but it's a pain in the butt to get there from the East side.

And some of the prices are outrageous - though the selection is tops in Madison (IMHO).

Haven't shopped for cheese at Whole Foods, but I used to at Brennan's, which also has very high prices. While Trader Joe's doesn't have as large a selection, what they do have is very good and the prices are much more reasonable. My favorite (so far) from TJ's is their Roqeufort Societe. Half the price of Brennan's French bleu and of better quality. I have never been impressed by the co-op's cheeses.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues