MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, February 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 6.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

When is Sardine opening for Sunday brunch?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

When is Sardine opening for Sunday brunch?

Postby bikinchef » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:53 pm

Does anyone know?
bikinchef

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Why would they? I heard they were doing well.

One of the early signs of decline in a good restaurant is when they start offering brunch. It's just a desperate maneuver to offload unused stock on the kind of customers they'd rather never see. Brunch is just bad news, from a high-end restaurant's perspective. It aggravates the staff, it dilutes the restaurant's reputation.

Leave brunch to those who do it best, like Lazy Jane's. Sturdy food. No nonsense.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bikinchef » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm

I am not really following your logic, you sound quite bitter yourself. Brunch at Sardine might end up being the best in the area. These guy know what they doing, it 's about money and they are practically printing it!

So you don't know when they are opening for brunch?
bikinchef

Postby spanky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:08 am

fennel wrote:Why would they? I heard they were doing well.

One of the early signs of decline in a good restaurant is when they start offering brunch. It's just a desperate maneuver to offload unused stock on the kind of customers they'd rather never see. Brunch is just bad news, from a high-end restaurant's perspective. It aggravates the staff, it dilutes the restaurant's reputation.

Leave brunch to those who do it best, like Lazy Jane's. Sturdy food. No nonsense.

Couldn't disagree more. Your statement makes me wonder in which shitholes you've been brunching.

Sardine has been discussing the possibility of morning fare since before they opened, I agree that it would hopefully be an enjoyable addition.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:49 am

Couldn't disagree more. Your statement makes me wonder in which shitholes you've been brunching.

Sardine has been discussing the possibility of morning fare since before they opened, I agree that it would hopefully be an enjoyable addition.

Quelle délicatesse !

Look about you. Does l'�toile crank out a brunch? Does Charlie Trotter's? Le Français? And where on earth do you imagine you'd find qualified waitstaff willing to work brunch in any town, let alone Madison? Some restaurants might have auxillary businesses which handle that -- which is shrewd -- but even that can be distracting when one is trying to run a top-flight restaurant.

I'd much rather drop $20 bucks + 5 for window-side service at a place like Jane's where I know what I'm getting. Save Sardine for a good dinner. When they start serving brunch, I'll take that as my cue to move along.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:28 am

Whoa. I had no idea brunch could be such a snotty subject!

As far as I had heard (when I worked near there during construction) they were talking brunch from the very beginning. It is a prime walking and biking location after all. And to me it seems dumb to keep a yuppychow joint closed when everyone's out and about and walking past your front door.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:58 am

fennel wrote: Does l'Ã?toile crank out a brunch?

No, they reserve mornings and afternoons for their cafe! - Cafe Soleil. And it is delectable.

Try the Orpheum, or Eldorado, or The Old Fashioned, or Cocoliquot... and then get back to me. But please, please, not until then.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:10 am

FYI, Sardine's got ads looking for brunch help in the Isthmus classifieds.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:01 am

fennel wrote:When they start serving brunch, I'll take that as my cue to move along.

Promises, promises.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby equuspower » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 pm

Since it was mentioned, where is Cafe Soleil?
equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:50 pm

It's on the square, Pinckney st, right next to L'Etoile.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:51 pm

equuspower wrote:Since it was mentioned, where is Cafe Soleil?

It is in the first floor of the buidling L'Etoile is in. The address is 25 North Pinckney on the Square.

http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/aboutthecafe.html
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:12 am

Soleil serves up some really tasty sammiches!!! Oh golly gee!! If only they served spuds dang it!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby DrStarbuck » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Today's Isthmus has a Sardine ad on page 42 that says "Brunch served lakeside starting May 6."
DrStarbuck

Return to Cooking & Food issues