MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Homemade bagels vs. NY bialy

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Homemade bagels vs. NY bialy

Postby Lily » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:20 pm

The past weekend when everything outside was too dang cold, soggy and wet I stayed indoors for some baking. I made bagels from scratch for the first time. They turned out pretty good but holy cow what a lot of work. Mix, rise, knead, stretch, shape, rise, boil, broil, bake....

While doing this I was watching the public station and there was a show on New York bakeries. They featured a place that sold a bialy which is essentially a polish bagel, not boiled, with a filled depression in the middle instead of a hole. Went online and found a recipe. MUCH easier to make, easy to freeze for future use and very tasty! Anyone had one of these?

If you're interested, there's a recipe on the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bialy
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 am

I've never tried making them myself, but Manna Cafe (North Sherman at Commercial) and the new-and-much-talked-about Gotham just off the square both offer some good bialys. (Manna only makes them on weekends, though.)

Bagels Forever makes them too, but every time I've asked for them, they only had them frozen.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues