MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Whole wheat pizza crust?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Whole wheat pizza crust?

Postby BillyO » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:41 am

Hi all,
I am wondering where I might find a pizza place that offers whole wheat pizza. I've been to most of the more well known pizzerias, and strangely none of them offer it. Thanks.
BillyO

Re: Whole wheat pizza crust?

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:46 am

BillyO wrote:Hi all,
I am wondering where I might find a pizza place that offers whole wheat pizza. I've been to most of the more well known pizzerias, and strangely none of them offer it. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure Supreme still has a whole-wheat crust option. But that's the only one I know of for sure.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am

Rocky's offers a wheat crust, not sure if it's whole wheat though.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:53 am

And you have to consider that whole wheat crust is anything but in most industrial pizzerias. It's sad because, though a lot of attention is given to the texture of the crust (Greenbush, Roman Candle, etc.), there's no thought given to it's flavor. It's just a vehicle for toppings. Good whole wheat crust is unsurpassed, but it's also more of a challenge to make well. I find it works better for a slightly thicker crust that's a little chewy (never doughy). Gotta build that gluten, though.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 am

It isn't offered widely because it doesn't taste good. Only Hippies would try and pass off whole wheat pizza crust as edible. The whole wheat flour imparts a bitter taste.

Besides its an unsubstantiated myth that whole grains are that beneficial anyway.

But if you must here's what I would do: Disolve one teaspoon of yeast in a cup of warm water, add a teaspoon of sugar, set aside, meanwhile in a bowl combine 2 cups of flour (you could also go half and half with white and wheat), 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 4 Tablespoons of olive oil and a handful of cornmeal.
Next add the yeast mixture-add more H2O as needed or more flour to acheive the desired consitency. Knead it minimally, ball it up and make a pizza with your choice of toppings-fresh basil or even fennel may help with the yucky whole wheat taste-bake on broil-as hot as it gets! for 25 minutes. Cool for five minutes and serve (with beer or soda!)
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BillyO » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:16 am

I don't mean to quibble GenieU, but I find whole wheat crust to be far preferable to plain bleached flour crust. Also, I wanted to know about pizzerias around town that offer it. I can make it on my own quite well at home. Your aversion to wheat crust may be because you don't add extra gluten to your wheat pizza. I've found this to be key in making a wheat pizza that isn't the consistancy of cardboard. Thanks nontheless.
BillyO

Re: Whole wheat pizza crust?

Postby chance » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:23 am

BillyO wrote:...wondering where I might find a pizza place that offers whole wheat pizza. I've been to most of the more well known pizzerias, and strangely none of them offer it...

"Strangely"? Nothing strange about it. It's awful. Whole wheat pizza crust is an offense against pizza, just like whole wheat pasta (shudder) is an offense against Italian cuisine generally. There are plenty of good uses for whole wheat flour. Pizza crust is simply not one of them.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 am

Just out of curiosity-is gluten a dry ingredient I could say, get at the Willy street co-op or woodman's? and how much would you add to make one crust?

Basicly I'm with chance: certain things shouldn't be made all crunchy granola and Pizza is one of them...

But then there is the off chance that someone could come over to the house with a whole host of weird dietary restrictions, its been known to happen and I wouldn't want to dissappoint.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:43 am

I should add I always get the wheat crust from Rocky's and it does taste like cardboard, but my tastes are very simple so it works for me.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BillyO » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:49 am

I certainly agree with chance that pasta shouldn't be made whole wheat- that is truly horrible. As for the the wheat gluten, you can purchase it dry at most grocery stores. You can get it at Copp's if you don't feel like going to the Willy Street Coop. Also, when using the wheat gluten, be sure to let the dough rise longer than you would otherwise. As for amounts to use, I never use exact measurements, just what I feel like at the time. Maybe 2 Tbs per cup of wheat flour?
BillyO

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:25 pm

BillyO wrote:I certainly agree with chance that pasta shouldn't be made whole wheat- that is truly horrible.

I was also wary of whole wheat pasta until I tried Trader Joe's whole wheat spaghetti. It tasted just fine. Give it a try sometime and see if you agree.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:40 pm

I've used whole wheat pasta for many years now, and when I go back to white in a restaurant I almost gag. No taste. Even Woodies has it, and it's on sale every other week for a buck a bag.

I usually mix in ww flour with white when I make pizza crust. Too lazy to make it the right way with ww and gluten. I wish more restaurants would do this though, I'd eat out more often.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 pm

I've been using whole wheat pasta as of late. It works fine for me, as I think of pasta as simply the delivery system for the sauce.... :wink:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby JMH » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:57 pm

I'm pretty sure if anyone offered me whole wheat pizza I would punch them in the throat on principle.
JMH

Postby Rosemary » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Hey, different strokes for different folks. Sometimes it's fun to go all-out for minimun nutrition value and maximum palate-pleasing, and sometimes it's better to balance things out. And as for it being an offense to Italian cuisine... how much of American pizza culture would also qualify? A lot. We have our own separate identity and ways here. There's room for both American and Italian versions.

If you (as in anyone) have trouble with whole wheat imparting bitter flavors, then try different recipes until you find one that works. Look up Beatrice Ojakangas, for instance, in the baking section at the library and give her whole wheat recipes a shot. I've made enough of her stuff to trust whatever she writes. One of the many things she does that I love is to give the dough a rest in both the mixing and, often, the kneading process. The flour needs a chance to hydrate and relax. This is especially important with whole wheat; it kneads differently.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues