MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Best place to buy olives?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Best place to buy olives?

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:46 am

I've been getting back into the habit of eating olives during some meals lately. I am wondering if people have suggestions as to the best place to buy them - not too expensive, can buy more than tiny jars, some variety, that sort of thing? I tend to prefer the green variety, hate pimentos in olives, and don't mind pits. So far it seems like all the grocery stores have a pretty dismal and costly selection. I'm kind of scared of olive bars since it seems like a buffet that has been sitting around for way too long.

Thoughts?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:51 am

Fraboni's.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:03 am

try Relish on Monroe. They keep their limited but nice selection behind the counter in the meat cooler. But really the brine that they are sitting in at places like whole foods or Sahadi in Brooklyn keep the germ count pretty low(that's what I tell myself.) I give the barrels a good mix before I ladle out the bounty. Fraboni's does have a good selection (Monona is better IMO).
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cristobal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:10 pm

I kind of like the little olive bar at the Jenny St. market. They have about 7 types to mix and match. It's a high volume place so you probably won't find year-old olives sitting there.

The coop has a wee selection of olives IMO. It could be better...I prefer Jenny St.

cristobal
cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby anyportinastorm » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:00 pm

I agree that Jenny Street Market has a nice selection-and decent prices on them. I buy an assortment at least once a week from there. Enjoy!
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 pm

I third Frab's.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:03 pm

Woodman's and Fraboni's.

Personally, I hate pits, and even bought a pit remover which is practically worthless.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madisonianne » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:23 am

Fraboni's...no doubt. Mmmm, now I want some!

Madisonianne

Postby bassbari » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Sentry Hilldale has a great olive bar. Also try the olive salad in the Deli which is made on the premesis.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Certainly Fraboni's.

Whole Foods isn't bad either, but expensive. It used to be better.

Anyone know where I can find preserved lemons in town?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby monsterface » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:22 am

I just read about this FDA warning about olives in a work newsletter and thought I should pass it along.

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting consumers to possible serious health risks from eating olives that may be contaminated with a deadly bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. C. botulinum can cause botulism, a potentially fatal illness. The olives are made by Charlie Brown di Rutigliano & Figli S.r.l, of Bari, Italy and are being recalled by the manufacturer. No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this recall.

The olives are sold under the following brands: Bonta di Puglia, Cento, Corrado's, Dal Raccolto, Flora, Roland and Vantia, and have codes that start with the letter "G" and are followed by 3 or 4 digits. All sizes of cans, glass jars and pouches of Cerignola, Nocerella and Castelvetrano type olives are affected."
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:26 pm

monsterface wrote:I just read about this FDA warning about olives in a work newsletter and thought I should pass it along.

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting consumers to possible serious health risks from eating olives that may be contaminated with a deadly bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. C. botulinum can cause botulism, a potentially fatal illness.

If I'm not mistaken this shouldn't apply to unpackaged olives, since botulism develops in an anaerobic environment. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

When I think of good olives, I assume unpackaged. Though there may be good packaged ones, I suspect they'd be prohibitively expensive.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby garmonbozia » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:30 pm

NullDevice wrote:Certainly Fraboni's.

Whole Foods isn't bad either, but expensive. It used to be better.

Anyone know where I can find preserved lemons in town?

I totally agree with Wholefoods suggestion. I know some people on this board totally detest that place, but nothing beats their selection. I especially love those huge black meaty olives that are almost plum sized.

I used to be a loyal Frabonis customer as well, but the last two batches of olives I bought from them got moldy only after a week or so. I didn't want to try my chance for a third time.

Not to be a chain ho, but Wholefoods used to carry preserved lemons. At least about 6 months ago. You can also make some at home, but it is kind of labor intensive.
garmonbozia

Postby garmonbozia » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:38 pm

fennel wrote:If I'm not mistaken this shouldn't apply to unpackaged olives, since botulism develops in an anaerobic environment. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

When I think of good olives, I assume unpackaged. Though there may be good packaged ones, I suspect they'd be prohibitively expensive.

Yes, but some of the bulk olives might be transported in giant vacuum packs or airtight barrels, so I think there is still some risk.

A lot of the packed olives I bought were either too briny (especially the green kind), or too squeaky (the quintessential jarred American black olive); so I am a big fan of buying olives in bulk. However, there is one exception: I always have a jar of Moroccan black olives from Trader Ho. For that price, it is great to have some at home in case I crave some puttanesca.
garmonbozia

Return to Cooking & Food issues