MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 8.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sardine Loves Pork (Warning to non-pork eaters)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 am

TAsunder wrote:Subsequent cost is simple mathematics.
Still can't grasp a non-literal rhetorical device, huh?
Pathetic.
No wonder you didn't go fuck yourself.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 am

** the following statement may contain traces of a bitter Yankee fan:

Just like every other Bostoner, Jeff is another whiney douche bag. Yes, your point about dealing with every food hang-up can get annoying but restos are in the businees of not only feeding people but also of pleasing people. It is afterall the hospitality business we're talking about. (I won't go into the fact that boston has a hard time being hospitable exemplified since it was the last major league baseball team to accept black players...) I'm not advocating dealing with every food hang up known to man but Restos should at least have the decency, training & knowledge as to be able to inform the general public as to what is in a CRAB CAKE.

***Boston sucks so do their fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 10:51 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

I grasp it just fine. I merely demonstrated that it is total crap and has no relation to reality.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 am

cubanat wrote:... restos are in the businees of not only feeding people but also of pleasing people. It is afterall the hospitality business we're talking about.

Restaurants are in the business of making money.
It is, after all, a business we're talking about.

They don't exist for the personal pleasure of particular individuals any more than condoms exist because the good folks at Trojan really want you to get laid.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Wed May 16, 2007 11:01 am

Um, guys, bacon is listed in the description of the crab cakes.

Crab and rock shrimp cakes with beurre blanc, bacon, grilled asparagus, poached egg, and spinach salad with mixed greens, grilled onions and roasted peppers • 16

Not sure if it was there when sitnspin ordered, but it's there now.

Carry on.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 am

TAsunder wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

I grasp it just fine. I merely demonstrated that it is total crap and has no relation to reality.

And yet further evidence that TAsunder has no concept of what a rhetorical device is. How many times are we going to play this game? You say you understand yet you keep repeating the same error (not to mention refusing to admit that you're twisting my statement.)

I've asked at least twice now, but let's try again: Have you really never heard anyone make a statement like "If I had a nickel for every time I'd heard that, I'd be a millionaire"? Did you take it fuckin' literally?

TAsunder -- are you really going to continue to embarrass yourself this way?
In other words, why are you hitting yourself?*

*Note: I know you're not really hitting yourself. It is a non-literal, rhetorical device, the meaning of which is understood by pretty much everyone. If you need me to explain it, however, I'll try. You probably won't understand, but I'll try.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 11:07 am

small cheese wrote:Um, guys, bacon is listed in the description of the crab cakes.

Sweet. 6 pages of irrelevance. Although if the lentils do contain pork, it's still not listed on the dinner menu.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 16, 2007 11:07 am

small cheese wrote:Carry on.

Actually, don't.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 11:15 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I've asked at least twice now, but let's try again: Have you really never heard anyone make a statement like "If I had a nickel for every time I'd heard that, I'd be a millionaire"?

It goes like this. If I said I got mugged in new york by the owner of sardine and you replied, "If I had a nickel for every guy who got mugged in new york, I'd be a millionaire" I would also be wondering what the hell your point is. You keep claiming that you had a point in posting your rhetoric. What was it? That people complain a lot? No kidding. What does that have to do with this thread?

Is your goal in posting here to trivialize the customs of other people? Do you honestly think there is no difference between cilantro in a meal and pork?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
cubanat wrote:... restos are in the businees of not only feeding people but also of pleasing people. It is afterall the hospitality business we're talking about.

Restaurants are in the business of making money.
It is, after all, a business we're talking about.

They don't exist for the personal pleasure of particular individuals any more than condoms exist because the good folks at Trojan really want you to get laid.

Ok Professor Wagoff what a great point that is! Yes, after a resto makes their money, then...you really don't have anything better to do than to argue semantics and punctuation do you? How many times have you read The Elements of Style? This is a food forum for christ's sake not english class.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 11:40 am

TAsunder wrote: You keep claiming that you had a point in posting your rhetoric. What was it? That people complain a lot? No kidding. What does that have to do with this thread?

You've repeatedly stated that the restaurant should bow to customer complaints and change their policy/menu/recipes/whatever. How is it NOT relevant to point out that doing so would be extremely costly?

Still not gonna admit you misinterpreted/misrepresented my post, eh?

TAsunder wrote: Is your goal in posting here to trivialize the customs of other people? Do you honestly think there is no difference between cilantro in a meal and pork?
And there you go again. When did I say there was no difference? And why do you keep bringing it up, anyway? And how am I trivializing the customs of anyone? By suggesting that they take their own beliefs seriously enough to ask simple questions?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 11:43 am

cubanat wrote:Ok Professor Wagoff what a great point that is! Yes, after a resto makes their money, then...you really don't have anything better to do than to argue semantics and punctuation do you? How many times have you read The Elements of Style? This is a food forum for christ's sake not english class.

Yeah - it was a great point (still is, in fact) and it had nothing whatsoever to do with semantics.

You (and TAsunder) seem to think that restaurants exist to please customers. They don't. They exist to please restaurant owners. That's not english class, it's Economics 101.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 11:51 am

Dear ProfJerkoff,
Please explain to us what occurs when a restaurant/business doesn't please their patrons?
Regards, C.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 12:01 pm

cubanat wrote:Please explain to us what occurs when a restaurant/business doesn't please their patrons?
Another stupid thread is born!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 12:04 pm

Dear Prof,
Nice comeback. You've been writing about this economic stance now for 4 pages. Please tell us idiots what happens when a business doesn't please it's customers.
Your student in life lessons, C.
cubanat
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues