MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sardine Loves Pork (Warning to non-pork eaters)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 12:17 pm

cubanat wrote:You've been writing about this economic stance now for 4 pages.
I have?
Uh-oh ... methinks we have another literalist in our midst.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed May 16, 2007 12:23 pm

cubanat wrote:Dear Prof,
Nice comeback. You've been writing about this economic stance now for 4 pages. Please tell us idiots what happens when a business doesn't please it's customers.
Your student in life lessons, C.

Your little economic model is a vast simplification.

Restaurants only need to please the majority of patrons-kind of like the Republicans who want to govern by speaking directly to their constituency.

People who get "Crabby" about some bacon in the crabcakes are most likely an insignificant minority.

The average American diner is omnivorous and likes big portions-thats why you see some kind of Steak at or near the top of practically every Menu.

And then you got the Lowbrow set who's "enjoyment" of a place like Sardine is directly related to the amount of bitching they can do after the meal!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 pm

GenieU wrote: People who get "Crabby" about some bacon in the crabcakes are most likely an insignificant minority.
My thoughts exactly.
Some customers just aren't worth keeping around.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 12:29 pm

both of you are idiots that are missing the point. thanks for the schooling though.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 16, 2007 12:40 pm

cubanat wrote:** the following statement may contain traces of a bitter Yankee fan:

Just like every other Bostoner, Jeff is another whiney douche bag. Yes, your point about dealing with every food hang-up can get annoying but restos are in the businees of not only feeding people but also of pleasing people. It is afterall the hospitality business we're talking about. (I won't go into the fact that boston has a hard time being hospitable exemplified since it was the last major league baseball team to accept black players...) I'm not advocating dealing with every food hang up known to man but Restos should at least have the decency, training & knowledge as to be able to inform the general public as to what is in a CRAB CAKE.

***Boston sucks so do their fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well played...feeling a little low after the Spankees poor start? Nice characterization of the city of Boston's restaurant hospitality based on baseball integration over 30 years ago (it is a shame they passed up on Jackie, and that Willie Mays tryout was a killer). I guess you forgot about all the hate mail that NYers sent Hank Aaron when he was chasing Babe. Racism in America was not just confined to Tom Yawkey my friend. We could start a whole new thread about Yanks vs. Sox, but I think thats over on Boston.com...

Not sure why I'm whiny though, I'm arguing for less whining here. And yes people, I realize that the undercooked asterisk is in all menus now. Shouldn't have to be. Anyone who eats raw oysters or beef carpaccio and sues a resto is a moron. The litigious nature of our times causes these asterisks, does that make it OK, and does that mean we should be lobbying for adding more?

I respectfully disagree. Bon appetit!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Wed May 16, 2007 12:43 pm

cubanat wrote:both of you are idiots that are missing the point.
that statement could apply to so many on this thread.....
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Cubanat wrote: both of you are idiots

Well I can only speak for myself but, Personally I have little sympathy for all these special needs people-allegies excepted-all you out there with picky dietary needs are a trifling irritant. Cook the food at home if it is so important to know exactly whats in it.

Last week we had a Vegan babysit for our kids-she wasn't too uptight to pick the pepperoni off the frozen pizza and eat it anyway-They didn't tell me whether she did likewise with the cheese-the point is she was flexible and undogmatic enough to go with the flow instead of copping some crazy, impossible, zero tolerance standard.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:You've repeatedly stated that the restaurant should bow to customer complaints and change their policy/menu/recipes/whatever. How is it NOT relevant to point out that doing so would be extremely costly?

I have stated that I expect a particular restaurant to comp people who have complaints about a dish, even ones involving me or another customer being stupid. That is because other restaurants in direct competition to them do this liberally. As such, the value proposition as a potential customer is called into question if I am going to a restaurant with a similar quality of food, paying a similar price, but will not be receiving a similar quality of service.

It is in their interest to offer a similar quality of service as their competitors. It has nothing to do with me feeling I have a moral right to complain, nor would I throw a hissyfit or actually demand to be comped in such a situation. It has to do with the perceived value of the meal in comparison to competitors. I would feel like I could have had a more enjoyable experience elsewhere.

It is the same basic principal used on a regular basis in regards to other restaurants. I will not likely return to Captain Bill's for seafood because it costs the same for similar dishes, has no better service, and tastes worse than its competition. I will not ever return to tutto pasta on state street because the service has been dissatisfactory on numerous occasions. If they had offered me any sort of adequate compensation for such crappy service, I might be willing to return there. They did not.

When given the choice of restaurants in that price range, I will often choose lombardino's, because the service there is exemplary.

On my first visit to coquette cafe, the waitress warned us when someone ordered the olive pizza that it was extremely salty and many people do not like it. She was under no obligation to do so, but when she did, it immediately impressed me.

Given examples like the olive pizza at coquette cafe, lombardino's, and the like, a restaurant that does not offer service like that is simply less appealing when evaluating where to dine.

So yes, they should change their practice if they want repeat business from customers like me.

Still not gonna admit you misinterpreted/misrepresented my post, eh?

I misinterpreted it to be implied as mostly literal, yes. I also misinterpreted "words in my mouth" to mean something other than inaccurately interpreting it as literal. Then I assumed your point was something other than "they can't please everyone" which I thought we had moved past by now. My bad.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 16, 2007 1:39 pm

TAsunder wrote:So yes, they should change their practice if they want repeat business from customers like me.

As a business owner I can assure you that customers like you are tolerated, not appreciated.

TAsunder wrote:I also misinterpreted "words in my mouth" to mean something other than inaccurately interpreting it as literal.
Wow.
I'm just stunned that you still think the statement I made and what you turned around and spat back at me were equivalent since they are clearly worlds apart. Honestly, stunned.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed May 16, 2007 1:48 pm

You know who else liked to argue semantics and rehtoric on a restuarant forum? Hitler.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm

NullDevice wrote:You know who else liked to argue semantics and rehtoric on a restuarant forum? Hitler.

And don't forget - he was a vegetarian.

No pork in Hitler's lentils...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:As a business owner I can assure you that customers like you are tolerated, not appreciated.

You mean customers that appreciate good service, tip generously, are friendly, point out if they are undercharged, return to places to give them a second shot if the first time was sub-par, and frequent places that they really like even if they are in an inconvenient location?

Well I suppose that's possible. I infer a certain concentration on the bottom line in your posts. I'm sure if most resteranteurs are more concerned with the bottom line than making perhaps less profit by offering a better product, then such people probably don't appreciate customers like me.

It's understandable they only tolerate me if that's how they think, since I actually desire a good quality product. Such bottom line thinkers probably prefer people who just go to restaurants, gab excessively so the waitress can take 45 minute breaks in the back, buy watered down drinks, and don't think about service quality or food quality.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
TAsunder wrote:So yes, they should change their practice if they want repeat business from customers like me.

As a business owner I can assure you that customers like you are tolerated, not appreciated.

TAsunder wrote:I also misinterpreted "words in my mouth" to mean something other than inaccurately interpreting it as literal.
Wow.
I'm just stunned that you still think the statement I made and what you turned around and spat back at me were equivalent since they are clearly worlds apart. Honestly, stunned.

Wagstaff, that is not a good attitude to have as a business owner. I can understand why you may feel that way at times but surely you must love & have great passion for your career choice.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby d2drums » Wed May 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Cook the food at home if it is so important to know exactly whats in it.

Now that's what I'm f*@kin' talkin' aboot! P.S. I think I like Boston Jeff :D
d2drums

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Ubiquitous pork!

From The Article wrote:"I put it in everything," says Sean Cousins, executive chef and owner of So.cial at Le Magasin, a new Vancouver hot spot. "I've got pork with crab. I'm doing pork with salmon. I've got pork with scallops, raviolis with pulled pork in them. It's in a lot of my salads."

Seems like the problem is endemic! Run for the pig-free hills!
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues