MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

spiciest / hottest food in town

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: spiciest / hottest food in town

Postby Hank_Venison » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:01 pm

eriedasch wrote:Village Green roadkill burrito (thurs lunch special). The burritto is not insanely spicy by itself, but you can get a bottle of Dave's Insanity brought to the table along with what seems to be the largest selection of hot sauces I've ever seen.

What else?

Pedro's has a similar selection of hot sauces. You have to ask for the basket of bottled hot sauces.
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:22 pm

garmonbozia wrote:I also have a tendency to order the shrimp creole at New Orleans Takeout everytime I have a sore throat.

Not sure if it's still the standard Friday special, but I honestly think the hottest food I've had in town is the shrimp etouffee from NOTO. It comes in two levels of spiciness: too hot, and too hot to eat. Order the latter if you're brave. It'll make your eyes water in the best way.

And just as a point of reference, I have been known to do shots of Dave's for the helluvit (well, mostly for the endorphin buzz).

I also agree that the Thai places in town are equipped to bring the serious heat. The trick is to convince them you're not just bullshitting when you ask them to make it "native" hot. I've been disappointed more than once at not having been taken at my word.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Casey » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:40 pm

hottest food I've had in town is the shrimp etouffee from NOTO.

second.

I like it hot and the etoufee and the dirty rice at New Orleans Take Out make my scalp sweat and my eyes water.
Adam Casey

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues