MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Malaysian cuisine is absent in Madison's restaurants...

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Ducatista » Thu May 24, 2007 11:42 am

GenieU wrote:Speaking of light and lively: I'd like to see Polish Food in Madison.

Have you tried the Polish deli on Monroe? I keep meaning to go there but haven't made it yet.

Polish, by the way, is the one word in the English language whose pronunciation changes depending on whether the first letter is capitalized. Or so I'm told.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 am

mrak wrote:There's no Icelandic cuisine here either?

Madison will never be a truly cosmopolitan city until we can get some putrefied shark, ram scrotum or a properly singed sheep head.

I think the only reason we don't do a brisk business in hakarl is because it's so damned difficult to get good brennivin in this town. Hakarl without brennvin just isn't possible.

We need a good turkish restaurant too. One that serves imam bayuldi. Dardanelles doesn't count, the Tarkan in their CD player notwithstanding.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 pm

Ducatista wrote: Have you tried the Polish deli on Monroe? I keep meaning to go there but haven't made it yet.

Yeah, the Atlas Deli is good for sausages and frozen pirogis that are trucked in from the Northwest side of Chicago. I think they will slice up a basic ham sandwich too, but its not a restaurant per se, its a small shop with a Deli counter.
Eastern European customer service is typified by an indifference that verges outright scorn-I don't know if this is directly related to the scarcity and long lines from the communist era or not, but don't go into these places expecting cheerful, smiling, help.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 24, 2007 1:20 pm

GenieU wrote:
Ducatista wrote: Have you tried the Polish deli on Monroe? I keep meaning to go there but haven't made it yet.

Yeah, the Atlas Deli is good for sausages and frozen pirogis that are trucked in from the Northwest side of Chicago. I think they will slice up a basic ham sandwich too, but its not a restaurant per se, its a small shop with a Deli counter.

I think Ducatista meant the Alex Polish American Deli in the Knickerbocker Place strip mall.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Thu May 24, 2007 1:24 pm

my thoughts exctly on the Polish place. I want to love these types of places but you go in there and you feel like you just stepped into the prison camp and field marshal rommel is behind the slicer...they are so not hospitable! Maybe it would be different if I spoke fluent__________insert eastern european cold war comm. block country/language here BUT why would they open a business in America and then treat the customers like poo? They should take a class at Zingerman's tolearn how to build their business through smiling...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Thu May 24, 2007 1:52 pm

cubanat wrote:my thoughts exctly on the Polish place. I want to love these types of places but you go in there and you feel like you just stepped into the prison camp and field marshal rommel is behind the slicer...they are so not hospitable! Maybe it would be different if I spoke fluent__________insert eastern european cold war comm. block country/language here BUT why would they open a business in America and then treat the customers like poo? They should take a class at Zingerman's tolearn how to build their business through smiling...

Nah, they are what they are and I appreciate that there are no forced smiles, phony emotions or corporate greeting that some poor schlub has had to memorize.

BTW I meant the same Alex polish-american deli off Monroe-just didn't remember it correctly...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 24, 2007 1:57 pm

GenieU wrote:Nah, they are what they are and I appreciate that there are no forced smiles, phony emotions or corporate greeting that some poor schlub has had to memorize.

BTW I meant the same Alex polish-american deli off Monroe-just didn't remember it correctly...

Well, there is quite a gray area between corporate schlub with canned greeting and death stare frown. Sounds like these guys should form a bowling team with the lady from vientiane. I might have to check it out just to see whose sour puss is more entertaining.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Thu May 24, 2007 2:01 pm

Exactly TASunder! I don't want a wal-mart greeter either but Genie man, they are like cold war prison guards in that place. I dare not ask a question about anything that is not clearly labeled or off with his head!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Thu May 24, 2007 3:02 pm

I always take it as a kind of perverse challenge (since its really not a life or death issue here)
A similar dynamic can happen when I go into an auto parts store looking for something and obviously am not a mechanic and have no previous rapport with the employees. But maybe I'm just masocistic or enjoy being reminded that I'm an outsider...

Ultimatly a little abuse is worth the price to pay for good polish sausage, don't you think?
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu May 24, 2007 3:07 pm

the other place in the bandung mall is the wah kee noodle hut. home of the best roast pork wonton soup in town, by far.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skippy » Thu May 24, 2007 3:40 pm

cubanat wrote:my thoughts exctly on the Polish place. I want to love these types of places but you go in there and you feel like you just stepped into the prison camp and field marshal rommel is behind the slicer...they are so not hospitable! Maybe it would be different if I spoke fluent__________insert eastern european cold war comm. block country/language here BUT why would they open a business in America and then treat the customers like poo? They should take a class at Zingerman's tolearn how to build their business through smiling...

I've always been treated very well at Alex Polish American Deli. Chit-chat, free samples, and a complimentary chocolate bar in my grocery bag have always been the case. (Same friendliness goes for Arbat.) Alex's gets most, if not all, of their stuff from Andy's Deli and Ideal Pastry in the Jefferson Park neighborhood in Chicago. I've never experienced poor customer service from the Eastern Europeans in this neighborhood verging on scorn either. In fact, I've encountered some great people there including the baker at Signature Bakery who sold me 8 loaves of day-old bread for around $5. Their landbrot is great and a loaf feeds about 50 people as it weighs a ton. I've also never gotten indifference verging on scorn from the Aremenian, Russian, and Georgian places over on Devon Ave. Indifference/scorn has never been a problem for me - it's always been the fact that I can only speak English or that the places are tremendously busy. But when it's busy, even non-Eastern European clerks hustle customers along.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Thu May 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I wouldn't think that the Alex polish deli is one of the worst, but the Ukranian Village ones in Chicago were definitly special...Hey we can't all be as charming as you Skippy.

BTW Bandung at Gateway is Indonesian, it was started by a retired U.W. proffessor. IMO it is one of the best deals in town-they turn out near gormet dishes at reasonable prices-the homemade fried Tempeh is something you definitly want to turn your vegetarian friends onto. You may even enjoy it yourself-its not just for vegetarians anymore!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Bandung is one of the best values for lunch out there. It's like $6-7 and you get an eggroll-like thing, or soup, or tempe along with your entree. Plus they have "loyalty cards" where if you spend $200 you get $20 credit. And they deliver for dinner.

I believe the owners are both vegetarians, but in any case you can order anything to be strictly vegetarian so that it won't include any shrimp paste or fish sauce.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Thu May 24, 2007 11:39 pm

Isn't there a 3rd Asian resto in that mall. We have nailed down Wah-Kee & Bandung. I swear there is a third:_________________--anyone?anyone?Beuller?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Fri May 25, 2007 7:51 am

cubanat wrote:Isn't there a 3rd Asian resto in that mall. We have nailed down Wah-Kee & Bandung. I swear there is a third:_________________--anyone?anyone?Beuller?

At one point it was Vietnamese-I Drive past there twice daily and I coudn't tell ya for sure if its still there or not.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues