MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Good eats near devil's lake area?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Good eats near devil's lake area?

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm not too familiar with the dining options up by devil's lake. I might be going there again this weekend and would like to try someplace I wouldn't otherwise visit. Last weekend it was Green Acres which was a decent supper club type place. Old Feed Mill seems a bit out of the way since we are coming from the east side but is my current pick.

Any suggestions for other nearby places?

Let's try to keep the knee-jerk inane pork comments to one per poster, please. Two if you have eaten at Sardine and had the lentils.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good eats near devil's lake area?

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:58 pm

TAsunder wrote:Any suggestions for other nearby places?

Let's try to keep the knee-jerk inane pork comments to one per poster, please. Two if you have eaten at Sardine and had the lentils.

Little Village Cafe is still open in Baraboo, no?

I hear their inane pork burrito is to die for.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good eats near devil's lake area?

Postby bmasel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Marvell wrote:Little Village Cafe is still open in Baraboo, no?

Web page is still up. http://www.littlevillagecafe.com/

We had lots of court appearances in Baraboo fighting the Weedstock cases.

Much better than their one-time Madison incarnation.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Monzie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 am

Yep. You gotta getta burrito at Little Village. The husband loves the jerk chicken. I prefer the blackened catfish (*ahem* "Southwestern Pescado"...they changed the name, but the burrito's still the same). Either one is a gut-busting bargain at around $10.

Or do what we do, eat half, save the other half for lunch tomorrow (they re-heat beautifully), and then split a piece of the divine chocolate mousse torte. Heaven!
Monzie

Postby cubanat » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:32 am

What about the place that the Culver's family started? I forgot what it was called and I never tried it cuz it was closed on the day we were there but I've heard it's awesome.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:34 am

My parents just stopped at the Little Village on their way to town last week and said it was great. I still have pangs for the Southwest Chicken burrito everytime I pass Natt Spil.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks, I'll check into it. I think I've eaten in baraboo twice in my life, once at a culvers and once at some random chinese place. Didn't know they had a hidden gem there.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:08 am

I found it: http://www.bluespooncafe.com. In Praire Du Sac. Looks like they are opening one in Middleton soon. It also looks like a high end Culvers but is that so bad? Sure a bit corporate but hey it's a local Corp!
cubanat
Forum Addict

food gems in baraboo

Postby scatta » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:17 am

Off the square in Baraboo is The Eagles Nest for great authentically made Italian pizza, open late. At the Java Cafe, located on the square on the other end of the block from Little Village, try the pesto sandwich with feta, yum!
scatta

Postby square » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:25 pm

i really like that pizza place. i've been there many times. my roommate left his number for a russian girl who worked there. never got the call back, though.

i suggest their inane pork product and pineapple pizza. it's delicious. i think it has another name, but i can't think of it right now.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Monzie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:20 pm

A word to the wise...

Little Village can get really busy in the summer and on weekends. It helps to call ahead. Oh, and they're closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Monzie

Postby scatta » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 am

The Eagles Nest used to be called The Venetian. And The Java Cafe stays open till 2 p.m., don't know about weekends. I love the veggie burgers at Little Village, but I ask for it to be made into a double patty, they are homemade.
scatta

Return to Cooking & Food issues