MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Firefly closing...and becoming Tex Tubbs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby d2drums » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:09 am

Alright.

Maybe I came accross a little harsh with my comments. They aren't stemming from a bad personal experience with TWSRN. I just find it preposterous that, having one location of a particular cusine, which, from all accounts is run poorly on both the service and kitchen aspects, that it makes any sense whatsover to open a second location of the same name, and run that location more efficently than the first. What is that saying about the first Tex Tubbs? I will refrain from any comment, as I guess I'm hurting your feelings, eurotic.

What I WILL stand by, is that again, I feel individuals that support this type of behavior have no real investment in their jobs / careers, other than the paycheck, which is evident in your case, eurotic. Good luck "making some more scratch".
d2drums

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 am

d2drums wrote:that which shall remain nameless

d2drums wrote:TWSRN

Drama queen.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:19 am

Again, I remind you of the search button. It is not "by all accounts".

TDPF aside, obviously a lot of people like it if food fight is opening a second location. Unless it's some sort of overly complicated tax shelter.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KT » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:22 am

I wouldn't say "all accounts" or even some accounts, more like just a few accounts. Everyone I know personally has had great experiences at Tex Tubbs. I've been there twice and liked it quite a bit. Chorizo was tasty, salsas incredibly fresh, and the margaritas were also quite nice. Additionally, every time I have been by the place, it was packed with people, and both times I visited there was a line out the door but we still had no problem getting seats and food. Seems to me they are opening another one because actual people are visiting their restaurant quite a bit.
KT

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23 am

d2drums wrote:Alright.

Maybe I came accross a little harsh with my comments. They aren't stemming from a bad personal experience with TWSRN. I just find it preposterous that, having one location of a particular cusine, which, from all accounts is run poorly on both the service and kitchen aspects, that it makes any sense whatsover to open a second location of the same name, and run that location more efficently than the first. What is that saying about the first Tex Tubbs? I will refrain from any comment, as I guess I'm hurting your feelings, eurotic.

What I WILL stand by, is that again, I feel individuals that support this type of behavior have no real investment in their jobs / careers, other than the paycheck, which is evident in your case, eurotic. Good luck "making some more scratch".

Well I also don't know too many people who consider waiting tables a "career choice," not to necessarily say it's a bad one. And I take massive pride in my work there, but thanks for judging me as well as everyone else working at a restaurant you've never even stepped foot in. I wait tables as a second job to help pay for my bills and felt like being up front about it for full disclosure. I don't necessarily do it to push the "art of waiting" further, but it's cute that you seem to equate those two things, as I think MOST people do what they do (esp as 2nd jobs) to MAKE MONEY...but I guess I'm not as deeply committed to the Art of Waiting as the people at the restaurants you frequent. I like working there and think the staff overall is pretty darn good. If I didn't like it or care about what I was doing I'd be doing something else.

And not to defend FF, as to me it's just a group of restaurants with as many differences as there are consistencies, but how can you blanket judge how their kitchens or servers are when you don't GO to them and, from your comments, haven't worked there?

You aren't hurting my feelings in the slightest, as your name-calling and grandstanding based on either no actual knowledge of the restaurants or "what you've heard" are amusing me. You don't know me. You don't actually know anything about the food you're talking about or the kitchen/service.

Mind you I'm not saying every FF restaurant is the best thing on the planet, but I'm also not saying they aren't, and mostly because a) I haven't been to them all personally, and b) Those I HAVE been to have varied in quality, although I can say I've never really had a bad experience at any of them.

See? Personal experience. Weird thing that.

Basically I'm just responding as you keep making yourself look completely ignorant and I find it funny.

Keep it up.
Last edited by eurotic on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:26 am

KT wrote: Seems to me they are opening another one because actual people are visiting their restaurant quite a bit.

My thinking exactly. If it was such a "dump," as d2drums, aka He Who Has Actually Never Been There But He Heard From Some Guy That It Sucked, then why the heck would they even CONSIDER opening another location?

I'd say this for ANY restaurant that is successful, mind you, as that MAKES SENSE.

Anyway, I've invested far too much time amusing myself on this thread. Come on out if you like Firefly and want to get some last meals in there or we'll see you at the new Tex Tubbs...if you want to go.

Peace y'all.
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Drinkslinger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:53 am

I was a manager for Food Fight for two years. It was a great company. There is not a lot of companies in this profession (servers, bartenders, cooks) with an oppertunity to get insurance, 401K or profit sharing.

Food and service can be nitpicked, especially in this high maintance town, but Madison is better because of Food Fight.

Where were you fired from Eurc?
Drinkslinger

Postby robbie webber » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:15 pm

My first reaction to the news was YES!!! I live less than 2 blocks from Firefly, and have found it to be very disappointing. I can't remember the last time I was there, because it is such a let down.

I have been to the TT on Atwood several times, and have many friends in that area that eat there all the time. I have always found good food and a nice atmosphere, so I look forward to having a TT so close.

Now, if FF really wanted a smash hit in that location, they would offer breakfast. A second Monty's or Hubbard Street Dinner would be packed. We have no breakfast place over here since Sun Porch closed in the same location (not due to lack of business, BTW.) Maybe the TT could have breakfast options?

Anyone else want to open a cafe/dinner/breakfast & lunch joint? I have some ideas where you could put it. I'm serious, just ask my neighbors. They know it's an minor obsession for me.

Now, some random comments about others' comments:

1. The idea that the new location will be "somewhere between El Dorado and the Atwood TT" is worrisome. I find El Dorado overblown, overpriced, and generally not worth the trip. (A critisim of many FF restaurants, but we won't get into that.) Please, please, PLEASE don't try to fancy it up too much. Table service, ummm, OK. But the formula at the existing TT would work very well here. Casual, quick, easy to have a drink or a bite, but not a huge financial or time commitment. The type of place where friends can drop by and join the table.

2. I am very picky about Mexican/SW food, as I make quite a bit of it myself and have spent considerable time in Mexico (no, not Cancun.) There are very few places in Madison that serve "real" Mexican food. But tasty food is tasty food, regardless of how authentic it is.

3. Qdoba? You have to be kidding, right?! See comment #2. Qdoba is a fast food joint with barely tolerable offerings. To even call it "Mexican/SW" is a stretch. Blehhh. I might go there if I was driving cross country and my other choices were McD and Subway.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 pm

robbie webber wrote:My first reaction to the news was YES!!! I live less than 2 blocks from Firefly, and have found it to be very disappointing. I can't remember the last time I was there, because it is such a let down.

I have been to the TT on Atwood several times, and have many friends in that area that eat there all the time. I have always found good food and a nice atmosphere, so I look forward to having a TT so close.

Now, if FF really wanted a smash hit in that location, they would offer breakfast. A second Monty's or Hubbard Street Dinner would be packed. We have no breakfast place over here since Sun Porch closed in the same location (not due to lack of business, BTW.) Maybe the TT could have breakfast options?

Anyone else want to open a cafe/dinner/breakfast & lunch joint? I have some ideas where you could put it. I'm serious, just ask my neighbors. They know it's an minor obsession for me.

Now, some random comments about others' comments:

1. The idea that the new location will be "somewhere between El Dorado and the Atwood TT" is worrisome. I find El Dorado overblown, overpriced, and generally not worth the trip. (A critisim of many FF restaurants, but we won't get into that.) Please, please, PLEASE don't try to fancy it up too much. Table service, ummm, OK. But the formula at the existing TT would work very well here. Casual, quick, easy to have a drink or a bite, but not a huge financial or time commitment. The type of place where friends can drop by and join the table.

2. I am very picky about Mexican/SW food, as I make quite a bit of it myself and have spent considerable time in Mexico (no, not Cancun.) There are very few places in Madison that serve "real" Mexican food. But tasty food is tasty food, regardless of how authentic it is.

3. Qdoba? You have to be kidding, right?! See comment #2. Qdoba is a fast food joint with barely tolerable offerings. To even call it "Mexican/SW" is a stretch. Blehhh. I might go there if I was driving cross country and my other choices were McD and Subway.

As I know it, the food will be similar but we'll just have some entree specials and such unlike the other TT. I'm not designing the menu or anything, but it'll be similar (if not exactly the same) prices on all the good stuff at TT but just offer a few more entrees for those who want 'em.

That sounds like all it's going to be "fancied" up. The design and attitude will be similar:)
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:36 pm

Call me Mary Sunshine, but I think ALL FoodFight establishments are reeally, reeaally top drawer!

Kudos to all involved!!
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:30 pm

I'm looking forward to this as, like the person above, live within walking distance. I walked to Firefly a few times and was each time rather disappointed and with a significantly lightened wallet. The idea of being able to walk somewhere for even mediocre non-qdoba fare appeals to me.

Plus it'll give me an excuse to harass Eurotic without spending $40 on two plates of chicken stirfry.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:55 pm

NullDevice wrote:I'm looking forward to this as, like the person above, live within walking distance. I walked to Firefly a few times and was each time rather disappointed and with a significantly lightened wallet. The idea of being able to walk somewhere for even mediocre non-qdoba fare appeals to me.

Plus it'll give me an excuse to harass Eurotic without spending $40 on two plates of chicken stirfry.

What did you get in the stirfry, gold?:)

And it'll be good to see you. We'll have a cool assortment of tequilas like El Dorado, too! One of the benefits of a larger bar area.

Mmmm, tequila...
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Condescending, Know-it-all, crabby appletons

Postby Thickovet » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:27 pm

scroll up...the guy who never went to Texas Tubbs but already has a negative opinion and vehemence beyond measure is par for the course here. Somehow the idea of communicating and sharing ideas is lost. But, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Texas Tubbs has good food. Maybe a little pricy for fish tacos but hey, they are GOOD fish tacos. If the counter service model doesn't appeal to you, don't go.
I'll be happy to have a Near West TT. Comparing Qdoba isn't fair. Try Chipotle but avoid Pancheros.
Thickovet

Re: Condescending, Know-it-all, crabby appletons

Postby eurotic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:35 am

Thickovet wrote:If the counter service model doesn't appeal to you, don't go.
I'll be happy to have a Near West TT.

The University TT will have wait service. Only the Atwood TT will have counter.
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 am

I'd go to Firefly before it closes, but then again, I know it wouldn't be open like the many times I tried going in it's time open.

Stupidest. Hours. Ever.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues