MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sweet potato fries. And I hate the Search.

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Sweet potato fries. And I hate the Search.

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Really. How hard should it be to find the thread where a couple forons were talking about good sweet potato fries?

I looked in the good food, short drive thread. I looked in the steak thread. I looked every damn place. I tried every reasonable permutation of sweet-potato/potatoes-fries I could think of. Nothing.

SO ANYWAY, if any forons are in need of some MTF (stands for migh-ty fine) sweet potato fries, and is willing to drive less than two hours to get them, the Stone Cellar in Appleton has a great plate of 'em.

I need a drink. This was way too hard.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:07 pm

Sophia's does half and half, sweet potato and white, Saturday and Sunday AM only
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby d2drums » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:04 pm

I used to do them at The South Bay Lounge. It's pretty easy, but took awhile to perfect. Pre blanching, as with the fresh cut fries we used to do, is the key. You have to fry them in a lower temp oil (we just used 200 as the guide) for about 15 minutes. Get them out of the oil ASAP, and lay as flat as possible on a sheet tray. Cool completley. Then, when you're ready to grub, fry as you normally would in 350 degree oil. I always left the skins on, it helps to keep them straight rather than curling up. Using something more than just salt helps too ( I used a mix of chili powder, cumin, garic powder, black and red pepper - but obviously using a more "sweet" mix with some of the mentioned and cinnamon is great too).

I guess my take on it is- people love sweet potato fries. If you're offering fresh cut fries, you might as well do both. It's no more a pain than anything else.

P.S. What? Doesn't everyone have a "Fry Daddy" on the kitchen counter?
d2drums

Village Green in Middleton

Postby Troy Thiel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:39 pm

ah, sweet potato (what no e?, call me Quayle) fries...yum yum. More places should do them.

Well, you don't have to drive as far as Appleton...the Village Green in Middleton has them, along with an excellent Fish Fry, Good Food (ok, so I know Double Cheeseburgers are bad for me but they taste too good!) and a nice draft beer selection.

btw, the Jerk Sammie at Bluephies is phenomenal...random food thought of the eve.
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:07 am

NA Rotisserie has them. However, I think they are called Kip's now and they are located at the corner of Regent and Monroe.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:52 am

Crave has them. They are cut round and somewhat floppy though. Still, I like them quite a bit and always get them when I order the "My Sister's Veggie Burger" there.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:03 am

For all you sweet potato fry fans, I highly recommend dipping them in raspberry viniagrette.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skippy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 am

Anyone tried Jada's?
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:11 pm

juanton wrote:NA Rotisserie has them. However, I think they are called Kip's now and they are located at the corner of Regent and Monroe.

http://www.narotisserie.com/

Oh sofa king good :)
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:56 pm

It's Kipp's:
http://www.thedailypage.com/theguide/ve ... venue=2172

I just got a half chicken with mashed potatoes, slaw and a cornbread muffin there last night. Dee-licious.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:43 am

Speaking of Kipp's, I have to say that their corn meal breaded catfish fillets rock the house as well.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Add Wonder's Pub to the list. Theirs are crinkle-cut, thick chips and fairly good, but could use a tad more seasoning. They're served with a chunky-ass blue cheese dressing that didn't do much for me; either my taste buds were off that night, the dressing was blah, or it just wasn't a complementary pairing.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby rogue » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:58 pm

I think the Village Green in Middleton still has sweet potato fries, they were great last time I was there. They're also one of the few places in town that offer hushpuppies as a side.
rogue

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:03 pm

rogue wrote:They're also one of the few places in town that offer hushpuppies as a side.

To get a little Blunt here, I LOVE HUSHPUPPIES. (I'm in love with cornmeal in general.) I make them once in a blue moon, but it's good to know I can get them somewhere in town when I eat out.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby evansvillehousewife » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:14 pm

I had the BESTEST sweet potato fries at Zen Palate in Manhattan not too long ago. East Midtown, vegan place.

Damn, those were good. We need one of those restaraunts here.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues