MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Is the capital square ready for a grocery store?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 am

That's why there was so much talk about, when Brayton parking lot finally gets changed. (Someone find that link with the map) Parking might be combined, in a store and parking ramp combo. But again, a whole lotta stuff has to come together to make it happen. I think I might be able to live happily, with a combo of Willy Coop and Cap. Foods. If I was Metcalf, I'd be tired of feeling like I was fighting, pushing and working to make something happen. Maybe, if we get a couple more beehives, like Metropolitan Place...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:02 am

NullDevice wrote:What I think would be cool would be something like a Milwaukee Public Market space in the downtown area. Instead of one grocery store, you get a dozen or so specialty food areas run by different people. Milwaukee has a Spice House, a latino foods and produce market, a small indian market, a choclatier, a butcher (that sells kobe beef, no less) and a few others. I think something like that could do rather well in the area. I've been to a similar one in Columbus OH that also seemed rather prosperous.

So too the River Market in Kansas City. Specially shops and restaurants around a square, where a farmers' market is held. And the produce prices at the open air market are a lot better than the one on our Square. But where in downtown Madison is there enough space for such a large market?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:22 am

East Washington Avenue
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 am

Bwis53 wrote:East Washington Avenue

I still miss that little Sentry at East Wash and 1st St.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 am

Wasn't that a Treasure Island?! Hah!

I think it was an A&P, where the Glass Bank is now and a Kroger, at the curve on University Av. I still miss Miller Market!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:29 am

NullDevice wrote:There'd be plenty of room for it on the square if they just got rid of that big stone domed thing that takes up most of the space in the middle.

What we really need is a few less banks on the Square. They close at 5 PM, don't really contribute much to the retail or entertainment environment, and do not need all that prime frontage. Those places are complete dead zones evenings and weekends.

Geez, stick a big sign out front that says Park/Anchor/US/Home Savings/Johnson/M&I/Amcore Bank, move all the operations to the back of the building, and free up that space for more useful stuff. Do you really need your loan officers sitting in the window? It's not like getting a mortgage or business loan is an impulse buy. Your customers will find you if you don't take up a half block of Square frontage.

If I was able to wave my magic wand, I'd turn all those bank lobbies into small shops and restaurants, or even a market!
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Seeing all these banks surround the Capitol is rather portentous, isn't it? Add the pricy highrises, pricy eateries, pretty much sums it up. It's a shame they can't make their shit look prettier!

Small shops? I'm beginning to wonder, if things like that are deliberately kept out, to keep "undesireables" out, as an old cop friend of mine used to say.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Banks pop up everywhere on a constant basis now. I think that there is something really odd about it. They must be about as profitable as oil companies to have this many branches.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Wasn't that a Treasure Island?! Hah!

I think it was an A&P, where the Glass Bank is now and a Kroger, at the curve on University Av. I still miss Miller Market!

First and E Wash:

Started out an Eagle grocery, then a Sentry.

Not sure what came before the Eagle store. The now-closed auto parts shop had a Rennebohm.

I wish I could remember what was there before the Fiore Center got built, but nobody else on the planet cares so never mind.

When I moved I found stuff in my spice cabinet that still had an Eagle sticker on it. Must have been 25 years old for crying out loud. This is why people should move every 10 years or so whether they want to or not.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues