MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Oatmeal Recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Oatmeal Recipes

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm tired of my traditional recipe. I want to keep the nutritional value for my gut (regularity) and my heart. Even thought of trying my favorite spices. Does anyone love oats and have good recipes or ideas?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oatmeal Recipes

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:11 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm tired of my traditional recipe. I want to keep the nutritional value for my gut (regularity) and my heart. Even thought of trying my favorite spices. Does anyone love oats and have good recipes or ideas?

Well, there's always haggis. It makes use of oats, anyway.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:20 pm

I eat oatmeal almost every day in winter, and at least once a week in summer. My recipe, to be changed depending on your taste or ingredients available:

1/3 cup oatmeal
handfull of granola
2/3 cup of water, plus a bit more for more dried ingredients
a bit of brown sugar
generous shake of cinnamon
fruit - use what's available - raisin & dried fruit all year, or fresh fruit in season.

Put all ingredients in a bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Let sit another minute. Add low fat vanilla yogurt, or whatever yogurt you have. Stir and eat.

This is a good quantity of food, once all the stuff is in there. This can be taken to work or camping, if you use dried fruit. No extra dishes to clean up if microwaved.

Because I change the type of fruit I have available, it never tastes quite the same.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:22 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm tired of my traditional recipe. I want to keep the nutritional value for my gut (regularity) and my heart. Even thought of trying my favorite spices. Does anyone love oats and have good recipes or ideas?

Well, I tend to like the texture of cooked oat bran better than oatmeal, they both taste the same. So I make regular oat bran and add in chopped granny smith apples, nutmeg, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and sometimes toasted walnuts. Or sometimes I use dried cherries instead of apples. Really, just take whatever flavors you like and throw them in (berries, bananas, almonds, etc.)
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:34 pm

fennel wrote:

Well, there's always haggis. It makes use of oats, anyway.

Kishka would taste better to me.

I'm ready to experiment with oats.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:40 pm

This is a staple breakfast in our house, especially in the cooler months.

I really like the texture - it's a little more nutty and chewy because of the steel-cut oats (also called pinhead oats). The oats can get a little expensive if you buy them in a tin vs. in bulk. When I lived in Fond du Lac, the cheapest I was able to find them was about $2.59 a pound in bulk, but down here, they have them in the bulk section at Willy St. for under a buck a pound.

I also frequently use different fruit than is called for in the recipe, for a little variety.

Since there's only two of us, we cut the recipe in half and use a small (one quart) crockpot, but if you go buy one, make sure it's one of the ones with adjustable heat settings. Our first one-quart crockpot wasn't adjustable, and the oatmeal was scorched and inedible - you really need the low setting.

On a side note, if you are a Good Eats fan, come on by the fan page message board - my guess is that you'll get a few more ideas.

EDIT: BTW, if you do decide to come over to the board, let me know - we had a big spam problem a while back, so now once you register, you have to be admin-approved before you can post. I'm one of the admins, and can keep an eye out for your registration.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:53 pm

beenie wrote:I really like the texture - it's a little more nutty and chewy because of the steel-cut oats (also called pinhead oats). The oats can get a little expensive if you buy them in a tin vs. in bulk.

If you really want to spend (and, bonus, contribute to the overpackaging of society), buy frozen single-serving steel-cut oats at Trader Joe's. Delicious, and ready in 3 minutes.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:If you really want to spend (and, bonus, contribute to the overpackaging of society), buy frozen single-serving steel-cut oats at Trader Joe's. Delicious, and ready in 3 minutes.

Hm. Might be a good way to try steel-cut oats to determine if I'll like them as much as it seems like I should.

/avowed oatmeal and Grape-Nut eater
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:12 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:/avowed oatmeal and Grape-Nut eater

Yeah, I don't think you'll have a problem getting to like the pinheads. :lol:
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Hm. Might be a good way to try steel-cut oats to determine if I'll like them as much as it seems like I should.

Do it. I was skeptical, but a bunch of my friends are on this "eat clean" kick, which apparently involves daily consumption of steelies, and they look all glowy and energetic, so I decided to dip a toe in the water. Now I'm a total convert. To the oats, I mean, not the whole clean eating thing. No way.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:52 pm

If you get tired of the steel cut oats, try multi-grain cereal overnight in the slow cooker. They have a few variations at Willy St. I like it better than plain oats now that I am used to it. They used to have multi grain at the old Sunprint on the west side, and that was how I found out how good it was.

If your first batch of grain cereal (or oats) cooked over night doesn't turn out right, try again with more water, less time, whatever. It takes a while to fine tune.

Oatmeal isn't ready to eat without walnuts on top, but then I put walnuts on everything. Also I think hot cereal requires a teaspoon full of maple syrup on it, and some milk or yogurt to cool it faster. My father disagreed -- he liked it the same way grits are served: butter, salt, and pepper. Take your pick.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Ducatista wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Hm. Might be a good way to try steel-cut oats to determine if I'll like them as much as it seems like I should.

Do it. I was skeptical, but a bunch of my friends are on this "eat clean" kick, which apparently involves daily consumption of steelies, and they look all glowy and energetic, so I decided to dip a toe in the water. Now I'm a total convert. To the oats, I mean, not the whole clean eating thing. No way.

That energetic feeling comes from being regular.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:29 am

Mmmm, I think it's more from the thrill of recent conversion. More power to 'em, though. They turned me on to a tasty new food, so it's all good.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:46 am

I get the steel cut oats in bulk at the co-op and cook them up once a week in the Crock-Pot. About 15 minutes before it's done, I add cinnamon and brown sugar, sometimes some apples.

Then, I put it in a bunch of individual containers (I like the little glass pyrex because I'm too paranoid to nuke plastic), throw them in the fridge for the week, take one out and microwave it in the morning. Mix in some fruit, nummmm.

Same works for regular rolled oats too. (but the thicker ones, not the instant kind.)
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
That energetic feeling comes from being regular.

As opposed to ethyl.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues